Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Glad to have found this thread. I've searched and searched the interweb on this subject, in hopes of finding a custom rain tray for my trackspec vent.

Generally, this thread follows the same exchange everywhere, guys ask, bunch of guys say you don't need it (which is why there's no marketplace for them).

I think the problem needs to be parsed into several categories or aspects.

If you live in South Florida, your concerns are different than if you live in Arizona.

I get that motor components are meant to be water RESISTANT (not waterproof). But it's not healthy to repetitively soak the motor, especially when the motor is hot or generating steam for all sorts of electrical connectors, components, etc. If that weren't true, everyone would simply pop their hood and pressure wash their motors (which is generally cringeworthy).

The concern isn't when driving (although sitting at a stop light, the open vents would expose the motor to downpour conditions, the concern is you're out to a movie or a dinner and a rain shower pops up and now the warm motor is sitting there steaming water that drips on it.

Maybe that's less of a concern in Arizona, but it's a likely scenario in Florida. Electrical components don't like moisture and they certainly don't like warm/steamy moisture. Long term it's a recipe for corrosion.

Can the motor withstand some of it? Sure, but it's not preferable.

Having said all that, what I'm trying to do is develop a rain tray that's easily installed/removed (i.e. like 30 seconds) so you can quick pull under an overpass and slap it in. Or you see rain coming and you just pull the tray out from the trunk and slap it in, it's not a 5 minute affair with tools, etc.
My car has sat in downpours with the tray removed and I could hardly tell afterwards. The vent doesn’t allow water to just rush in like a raging river. The slats are radius to near horizontal so the only water that enters is runoff from the hood. Even the rain tray allows water into the engine bay. The motor is always exposed to humidity and the electrical connectors in the engine bay are all rated for moisture exposure. Unless you submerge the car I can’t see any scenario where rain is going to cause anything more than surface corrosion or water spots. As I’ve previously stated, I’ve had mine off for months and it’s seen plenty of rain and pressure washes and my engine bay looks Like new.
You don’t need to reinvent the wheel, you can buy thumb screws off amazon that will mount your tray in a few minutes with no tools. The info can be found on this forum.
Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
And, not to mention, Shelby doesn’t seem to care about water entering the extra vents they have on their SE/KR hoods. And no one is going to stop a race so they can install a tray because it suddenly started raining 🤣

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Per Ford, the only negative to the rain tray is aerodynamics. I don’t have a GT500 so idk wtf I’m talking about, but Ford said removing it gives an aero advantage, doesn’t change heat extraction or engine air intake, etc etc. allowing water into the engine bay shouldn’t be an issue unless you have issues already. I don’t drive my car in the rain anyways…

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Per Ford, the only negative to the rain tray is aerodynamics. I don’t have a GT500 so idk wtf I’m talking about, but Ford said removing it gives an aero advantage, doesn’t change heat extraction or engine air intake, etc etc. allowing water into the engine bay shouldn’t be an issue unless you have issues already. I don’t drive my car in the rain anyways…
Not entirely correct, a byproduct of the aerodynamic enhancement is that it allows air from the engine bay to evacuate creating smoother flow of air hitting the front of the car. This escaping air carries away heat with it as well.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Not entirely correct, a byproduct of the aerodynamic enhancement is that it allows air from the engine bay to evacuate creating smoother flow of air hitting the front of the car. This escaping air carries away heat with it as well.
I’m just quoting Ford aerodynamicists, I haven’t used a wind tunnel in 10 years so dafuq do I know.

Sponsored

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Lol all good, but it’s simple thermodynamics. Same way air blowing over your skin cools you.
Nah, I still have my rain tray installed 😂

Calif-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Twister Orange (1 of 480)
Vehicle Showcase
Gotta make sure you’re always anti-dotal 😅

just busting your chops a little. I believe the word you were searching for was “anecdotal”.
Dang it I would like to blame it on "spell check", but I'm going to have to blame it on my California Public Edumacation! lol

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
Gotta make sure you’re always anti-dotal 😅

just busting your chops a little. I believe the word you were searching for was “anecdotal”.
Now we’re getting our spellling corrected, give me a break

Calif-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I can't comment on the aerodynamics of the flow and heat, but I can tell your from personal experience it fixed all but it eliminated my hood shaking. On the drive home from purchase on the freeway I thought the hood was not latched the way to was shaking near the wind shield.

The only other downside is less space for decals. lol (just kidding)

Sponsored

Calif-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Everyone says "your motor can take it." But how many of you would be comfortable with someone opening the hood and hosing down your motor?

I realize that components are made to resist moisture, but there's limits and reducing the amount of moisture stuff sees can't be a bad thing.

The arguments here are inconsistent. If the rain doesn't make a difference, then why have a tray at all?

Again, I think the simplest solution is attachments that are quick connect/release so that the tray can easily be installed or removed.

I do like the heat extraction and aero improvements the center vent gives, I just wish I had a rain tray to protect it when I don't need more aero or more heat extraction (i.e. with the car stationary during rain.)

I realize that all hood vents route the water somewhere (but more toward the front at the radiator)

Calif-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone says "your motor can take it." But how many of you would be comfortable with someone opening the hood and hosing down your motor?

Again, I think the simplest solution is attachments that are quick connect/release so that the tray can easily be installed or removed.
I read a few threads of guys that run NO Rain Tray, but do lay it in when washing. (I don't)

For me it was the elimination of the hood vibrating and shaking at 65-75 mph

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500

I realize that components are made to resist moisture, but there's limits and reducing the amount of moisture stuff sees can't be a bad thing.

The arguments here are inconsistent. If the rain doesn't make a difference, then why have a tray at all?

I do like the heat extraction and aero improvements the center vent gives, I just wish I had a rain tray to protect it when I don't need more aero or more heat extraction (i.e. with the car stationary during rain.)

I realize that all hood vents route the water somewhere (but more toward the front at the radiator)
The key here is the OP is asking for “opinions”. I have mine, you have yours. I don’t have a problem leaving my tray out, and honestly I don’t care if anyone has an issue with that since nobody pays my car loan except me.
And I have no problem hosing down my motor. If you do, that’s your concern. You just do you and treat your car however you want. I’ve previously stated there are thumb screws you can purchase that make install and removal a quick process.

As for my car, the tray is out, and will most likely never go back in. And the only person who needs to worry about it is me.
Sponsored