Sponsored

Question about probable false engine knock

mliebs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I'm in the process of getting my 2017 Mustang GT tuned and the first Data Log file I sent, the guy said the engine had a knock it was bad gas due to the WOT log. I ran the tank down to probably less than a gallon and refueled yesterday. I did several WOT's to let the car see the new gas/octane and then ran another Data Log today. After sending the 2nd file, the guy said it looks like I have a false knock because he can also see it before WOT and it needs to be addressed. I've been all over this car and can't find anything suspect. I've hit different components with a rubber mallet, put the car on jack stands and went over everything underneath, and went through the entire engine bay. At this point I'm out of ideas. Has anyone else had this and found something somewhere?
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Anything close to your trans mount? Any clamps that you can maybe tighten down a little more? Exhaust tips hitting the bumper cover?

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Get some quality octane booster like boostane or Torco. If you add a couple of cups to the tank and the knock goes away you know it’s not false knock.

Only a few places in the country have good quality 93 gas. Course the tuners will all claim every car they touch (other than yours) has no problem with octane and knock.

OP
OP

mliebs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I just put the car back on the jack stands and plan on tightening everything. I'll run another log in the morning and if it's similar to the other I'll use the octane booster. Thanks for the responses.

OP
OP

mliebs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
OK, well I tightened the entire exhaust system and then started hitting everything again with a rubber mallet. This time something sounded like it was loose and vibrating. The closer I got to the cats the louder it got but one side sounded considerably louder. It looks like the front transmission cover is vibrating. I'm going to put high temp silicone around the edge and try to seal it up to stop the vibration. I hope this is it, I've been over the car a few times and this is the first time something actually sounded loose. The vibration sound was pretty loud so hopefully I got it. Thanks again
Sponsored