Sponsored

Purported "official" 2015 Mustang weight specs - via dealer manual source book

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
What I find interesting is that the v6 is only 24lbs heavier than last years model. So seriously I have to give a little props to The Pill for some decent detective work claiming irs and crash ratings being the cause of the weight increase. In fact it really proves he was right about the body structure weight loss as it would of had to lose enough weight to compensate for the addition of irs and increased crash ratings. Looks like they saved just enough weight to break even with irs only to increase I the weight with heavier standard options
Sponsored

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
Not to be an ass, but, then why keep hanging around and posting? Just to rain on everyone's parade? Start shopping for something else then.

For all but the hardcore straight line guys, I doubt 50 pounds will make or break a purchase when it will probably walk all over a standard 2014 GT around a track.
Because I'm a die hard mustang fan who has owned many and plans to own many more? Just because I'm no longer buying one doesn't mean I don't love the car nor does it mean I'm not interested in future developments. Also for discussion like every other person on this forum. Cool?

Also, the pictures still say approximate weight and I really want to know what options and if they have spare tire and jack. If it is unloaded with no spare I'm out. If not I'm still in.

And I'm still shopping for a mustang...

Jonny11Quest

Threads
Reaction score
10-12 inches too long. 4-6 inches too wide. 500-600 lbs overweight... Even if it trimmed a couple inches here and there and only dropped 100lbs I could swing it. The past 9 months have been a slow, painful letdown. The car will perform great, likely the best Mustang ever, but I truly despise the larger/heavier automotive trend of the past 10yrs.

I think I'll put my performance car dreams back on the shelf and buy a '15 Mazda 3s with a manual.

GTsquid

Because I'm a die hard mustang fan who has owned many and plans to own many more? Just because I'm no longer buying one doesn't mean I don't love the car nor does it mean I'm not interested in future developments. Also for discussion like every other person on this forum. Cool?

And I'm still shopping for a mustang...
A diehard Mustang fan who won't even wait for performance numbers and a test drive before deciding they don't want to buy the car.... all over about 50 pounds over the current iteration. Okay.

Look, it's all good for discussion but when you keep beating the same drum in every post about how you won't buy it now, it gets tiring and annoying for guys who are actually interested in buying this car.

Sponsored

GTsquid

Also, the pictures still say approximate weight and I really want to know what options and if they have spare tire and jack. If it is unloaded with no spare I'm out. If not I'm still in.
Cool. Well I didn't catch this last part of your post. Makes sense then, but it sounds like you won't be happy unless it loses a decent amount? I highly doubt they will change much from what we see here, but that is just my opinion.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool. Well I didn't catch this last part of your post. Makes sense then, but it sounds like you won't be happy unless it loses a decent amount? I highly doubt they will change much from what we see here, but that is just my opinion.
I'm one of those afflicted with straight line addiction, and weight means a lot. Like pulling sound deadening and 5mph bumpers out of the bumper covers etc. to get a couple hundred pounds a lot. I honestly want to see what the gt350 weighs now, although that will be a long "weight." I might end up buying a 2011 for my straight line needs. Still need to see power rating for a 2015. Just right out of the gate I have been disappointed. And yes, major mustang freak, owned and modified many. Don't let my opinion bring you down, I'm just here for discussion and, eventually, facts.

Dyno

Thanks for posting. On a side note, just realized the 2015 one is missing the weight distribution %. Wonder why that was left off...
My guess is the weight balance of the car will be a selling point that they are holding on to until full specs are released. I think this was a planned "leak" from Ford. Putting it in a PDF that can be easily downloaded and distributed to dealers who leak stuff all the time, seems like a way to have a soft landing with this info.

All in all, for those of us who ignored all the silly rumors about massive weight loss, this is better than I thought it would be. Looking forward to performance numbers.

GTsquid

I'm one of those afflicted with straight line addiction, and weight means a lot. Like pulling sound deadening and 5mph bumpers out of the bumper covers etc. to get a couple hundred pounds a lot. I honestly want to see what the gt350 weighs now, although that will be a long "weight." I might end up buying a 2011 for my straight line needs. Still need to see power rating for a 2015. Just right out of the gate I have been disappointed. And yes, major mustang freak, owned and modified many. Don't let my opinion bring you down, I'm just here for discussion and, eventually, facts.
Even on an enthusiast forum you have to think your complete focus on weight is pretty niche compared to others and your needs are going in the opposite direction of the industry trend of more features and more upscale (and hence more weight). We all care about weight since it affects performance, but I also daily drive my Mustang so some compromises on weight for creature comforts are to be expected. I think reading some of the posts it is clear that it depends on which car you are coming from and what you are in the market for. I would have been shopping for a 2014 if not for the S550. Coming from my '11 which is already a big car compared to what some of you guys drive, it is not a big deal. You can always do your own weight saving mods if it is a huge sticking point, as you mentioned. Some of these guys are coming from much smaller Mazdas and Hyundais and seems expectations were out of whack to begin with.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
The spare tire and tire jack are standard equipment, therefor, added into the US standard. The Brembo wheel/tire combo was 67lbs a piece. anyone wanna take a stab at an 18x8 Steel wheel? Ford used the spare tire trick on the Brembo GT to offset any weight gain from suspension components, brakes and tires.

We will NEVER know for sure what the US weight Standard contains. I have a feeling, this new change was brought in by manufactures getting MPG certs with the base stripper model THEN, they build mostly loaded Mustangs for dealer lots.

If the M4 gains 230lbs from EU to US Standards, I can definitely see 200lbs coming off that 3704lbs. What does that mean for a EB Mustang? Gettin' close to 3300lbs flat. It looks like the Mustang offers similar options that the M3/M4 does and nearly identical standard equipment.

3475 for an manual GT is nice, run your laps on 50 Miles to E and we get closer to 3400lbs flat. My Brembo '11 weighed 3555lbs w/401a leather and 50 to E and NO spare tire/jack. That's about 3403lbs stock but race ready. Don't expect the Track Pack to reduce that number much...

The GT350's weight will come down from the Base GT just due to limited options AND, I'm betting some weight reduction as well. However, that weight reduction may only compensate for added suspension work, brakes and tires.

I'd be very happy if this is the case... Not 3380 like I wanted BUT, pretty close to 3401.

Ford is offering guys like us a no cost, weight reduction option if we want it... Just don't go checking boxes. Power passenger seats, leather, heated seats in general, spare tire and jack, the E package...

Just be smart about it if you intend to race. I feel the US Standard is required in order to get more real world MPG's. Keep in mind, this could also limit the power increases.

We will have to see what Ford says the EU weights are, without driver and 7kg's of cargo. If this is not the case, sorry for the low estimates.

Edit: a 2014 Base GT would weigh 3844lbs in the new US Curb Weight Standard, 140lbs more than the 2015. That 3844lbs also reflects the 2014 Mustangs loaded weight while the Vert would be closer to 3950lbs. Now, I'm sure 140lbs is shy of what they wanted overall, shy of 200 for sure. But, I think once the real weights are known, I think everyone will be happy.

Sponsored

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
Doesn't the B&P show the spare as a cost-option that is "available on all models of Mustang"? That would lead me to believe that it is not standard, though it could be one of the many errors on the site...

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Doesn't the B&P show the spare as a cost-option that is "available on all models of Mustang"? That would lead me to believe that it is not standard, though it could be one of the many errors on the site...
Even so, if it's on 33% or more 2015 Mustangs, it counts. Nothing Ford can do about it.

Typically, people don't special order, even when they do, they add options. A majority of cars built are optioned by dealers and loaded to sell. They may order a base model to get an attractive MSRP on the lot but, they are optioned from there on.

Gman11Gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I am fairly confident this car will be a monster on and off the track. I think it's going to be a monster with just a couple mods. With some weight savings and a turbo or SC, it's going to be real quick. It's just a matter of how the new IRS will handle patch contact with the correct tires. The Live axle is known for putting the patch down on the pavement and keeping it there. I think the IRS will do fine from a mod standpoint up to a certain point. I would say it will do fine for a 10 second car and maybe to 9 sec. Beyond that, the live axle swap might make sense.

Changing directions here, I do wish the EB weight less. I was hoping for 3350-3400lbs would be ideal. 3510 is pushing it, but we shall see. That is about the same power weight ratio as the 05 GT except this will have much better weight distribution and much more available torque down low. It should easy out handle that car and beat it in ET and eat it up in 0-60.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The spare tire and tire jack are standard equipment, therefor, added into the US standard. The Brembo wheel/tire combo was 67lbs a piece. anyone wanna take a stab at an 18x8 Steel wheel? Ford used the spare tire trick on the Brembo GT to offset any weight gain from suspension components, brakes and tires.

We will NEVER know for sure what the US weight Standard contains. I have a feeling, this new change was brought in by manufactures getting MPG certs with the base stripper model THEN, they build mostly loaded Mustangs for dealer lots.

If the M4 gains 230lbs from EU to US Standards, I can definitely see 200lbs coming off that 3704lbs. What does that mean for a EB Mustang? Gettin' close to 3300lbs flat. It looks like the Mustang offers similar options that the M3/M4 does and nearly identical standard equipment.

3475 for an manual GT is nice, run your laps on 50 Miles to E and we get closer to 3400lbs flat. My Brembo '11 weighed 3555lbs w/401a leather and 50 to E and NO spare tire/jack. That's about 3403lbs stock but race ready. Don't expect the Track Pack to reduce that number much...

The GT350's weight will come down from the Base GT just due to limited options AND, I'm betting some weight reduction as well. However, that weight reduction may only compensate for added suspension work, brakes and tires.

I'd be very happy if this is the case... Not 3380 like I wanted BUT, pretty close to 3401.

Ford is offering guys like us a no cost, weight reduction option if we want it... Just don't go checking boxes. Power passenger seats, leather, heated seats in general, spare tire and jack, the E package...

Just be smart about it if you intend to race. I feel the US Standard is required in order to get more real world MPG's. Keep in mind, this could also limit the power increases.

We will have to see what Ford says the EU weights are, without driver and 7kg's of cargo. If this is not the case, sorry for the low estimates.

Edit: a 2014 Base GT would weigh 3844lbs in the new US Curb Weight Standard, 140lbs more than the 2015. That 3844lbs also reflects the 2014 Mustangs loaded weight while the Vert would be closer to 3950lbs. Now, I'm sure 140lbs is shy of what they wanted overall, shy of 200 for sure. But, I think once the real weights are known, I think everyone will be happy.
Is that last part true, did they really change the curb weight standards? If so, that changes everything.

And squid, I agree completely with what you said, I'm being a vocal minority. I still really like the car, I am excited to see what it can do, I'm just figuring out what is going to be best for my personal needs :thumbsup:

Edit: after some quick research, I understand what you are saying, you have to add in any option that will most likely be on 33% of cars sold. I could see this being curb weight for premium with the spare tire easily. So a base with no spare tire probably lowers that number by 150 lbs. That is good news

Fox9350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 5.0 GT (former car)
Guys is this new information pretty much a done deal? Or is this more internet bullsh!t?

It sounds pretty plausible to me, just want to make sure we're not giving someone a good laugh over a screenshot they made in their basement to fool everyone. And if these numbers are real, are they subject to change? Not trying to avoid the reality of a possible weight gain (because this is WAY less than the 200-300 lb fabrication from those amateurs over at Steeda) just want to make sure this legit info and not more crap.
Sponsored