PSA: Boundary crank sprocket marks incorrect

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
im not sure if this is common with anyone. But it happened to me and i wanted to put a PSA out for any future people putting on boundary opg and crank sprockets.

The opg seems fine to me. No biggie there. But the crank sprocket timing mark was off by TWO teeth. How did i find this out? I installed them, finished installing my Odin kit, cranked my car, and boom. P0019 and eventually p0016 codes. For reference, these codes are camshaft/crankshaft correlation codes. After looking at my logs, my exhaust and intake readings on both banks were around 32-36. I was shocked, as i took my time, followed directions to a T, and rechecked my timing was right about 10 times before putting it back together.

So, angrily, i took it apart again to find the issue. One i got it down to the chains again, everything looked fine. I tried re-doing the timing, but my keyway position always seemed a hair off compared to pictures and videos i watched. I couldnt figure out why and figured maybe i DID mess up somewhere.

While pondering where i could have gone wrong, i started to wonder about the crank sprocket marks themselves. So i took off the boundary one to compare it to the factory one, and to my disappointment it was marked 2 teeth differently than the factory one. Both have a total of 21 teeth (obviously), but the boundary one is 11 teeth from keyway to timing mark, whereas the factory one was 13. I marked my boundary sprocket 2 teeth later to match, and magically everything lined up exactly as they should.

I did all of this a few days ago. Finally had a chance to put it all together again and crank her up today and log, and my timing looks spot on. No codes, no check engine lights. I wanted to make sure of this before making this post. So for anyone using boundary..or I suppose any other aftermarket gear..make sure you compare it to your factory mark.

I know i should have "trusted but verified" as we always say in the military. But i trusted their mark and went with it originally. So yes, i admit part of it is my fault. But its very frustrating that i had to do everything over again (including removing all of odin since it is huge), due to a mistake on their part. Additionally, while redoing everything, my crank bolt got stuck and stripped a couple threads in my crankshaft. I had to tap it to fix it. Another thing that could have been avoided due to this.

Below are pictures of the boundary marks, how my chains looked using them, a log showing my timing was off, and then my marks i made to match factory, and my now seemingly spot on timing (its the exact same as my logs from stock, so i assume its 100%)

Sorry if this is known. But i havent seen anything about it, and didnt want the same thing to happen to someone else. Luckily i dont seem to have damaged anything, but could i have? I dont know. Im very disappointed with this company and knowing i spent money and a lot of time and energy on their mismarked part.

Before: Bad marks off 2 teeth

20200812_215304.jpg
20200812_221057.jpg
20200812_222531.jpg
20200812_222538.jpg
20200812_222633.jpg
20200807_184555.jpg
20200809_225959.jpg
20200812_221057.jpg
20200812_222538.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Whoa. Great informative post and I'm sure anyone going forward with this job in the future will check for sure. Did you contact them and get a response?

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
I had one that was off a little too. Ever since, I make sure I check that boundrys mark is correct every car i do.
untitled.png

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
I had one that was off a little too. Ever since, I make sure I check that boundrys mark is correct every car i do.
untitled.png
Is your photo of a good or bad one? Mine is off by half a tooth compared to yours.

Anyone have a picture of the stock one? I am in the middle of a build and literally just tossed the stock one in the garbage yesterday. Mine looks the same as some images I've found online, but hard to tell unless the photo is straight on, and most aren't. Didn't really think this was something that had so much variation..
IMG_9061.jpg

Sponsored

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
yours is marked properly. 9 teeth from the keyway is correct.

OP
OP
Adamone92

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Is your photo of a good or bad one? Mine is off by half a tooth compared to yours.

Anyone have a picture of the stock one? I am in the middle of a build and literally just tossed the stock one in the garbage yesterday. Mine looks the same as some images I've found online, but hard to tell unless the photo is straight on, and most aren't. Didn't really think this was something that had so much variation..
IMG_9061.jpg
Yeah yours looks correct. Going clockwise from the keyway should be 13 teeth. Here is a pic of my stock one

20200728_215606.jpg

Whoa. Great informative post and I'm sure anyone going forward with this job in the future will check for sure. Did you contact them and get a response?
I haven't yet but i will be soon.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Great info here @Adamone92 ! Crazy how it vary so much from gear to gear from the same company(ies) !

LunarS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT P1X ProCharger
Does anyone know if this issue was addressed by boundary? I installed mine recently and assumed everything was marked properly, haven’t received my base tune yet so I haven’t been able to fire it up and see if it’s correct.

NC85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Missing
Did you count the teeth on the crank sprocket prior to installing? I think that's the one spot where you can find an issue if there is one before timing and closing the motor up.

Sponsored

Check06

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang P1X GT
I wonder what the percentage of error is really, did mine a couple years ago and its been fine since. Definitely worth noting though and good future info to check

LunarS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT P1X ProCharger
Did you count the teeth on the crank sprocket prior to installing? I think that's the one spot where you can find an issue if there is one before timing and closing the motor up.
I didn’t check as I thought such a company would be consistent and wasn’t aware of the issue, hoping it’s all good

LunarS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT P1X ProCharger
I wonder what the percentage of error is really, did mine a couple years ago and its been fine since. Definitely worth noting though and good future info to check
I’m wondering the same, this thread has been dead for a while so I’m wondering if boundary was notified and took care of the errors

LunarS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT P1X ProCharger
Update, fired the car up last night after I got my base tune from Lund. My sprocket marks were correct. No codes besides p0315 which went away after a crank relearn. Sheesh, that was a relief.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I have heard about marks being off from other people as well. I have not seen it myself but I make sure to double check every time. You just never know
Sponsored