Sponsored

Protecting the flat black?

mauleed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Convertible GT
What do you guys do to make sure you don't get wax on the flat black? Seems like it should be straight forward to tape it off. But wanted to check with smarter people than me to see if there's not some magic out there.

Also, do you put anything on the flat black to protect\maintain it?
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I Use turtle wax ice. You can put it on the flat black side skirts. It'll protect them from fading. So no need to mask off the. Car.

barok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
After applying wax/sealant, I apply WD40 on a soft sponge and wipe out the black skirts. So far, no more dried wax/sealant stains.

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP Ruby Red
I had wax stains on the black trim from using Meguiar's paste wax. I now use Pinnacle Souveran paste which does not leave a white residue on the plastic trim. Pinnacle is pricey but it leaves a nice deep shine, and it's easy on, easy off. Here's a pic of Ruby shortly after I used Pinnacle for the first time.

This weekend, I tackled the white wax stains on the plastic trim.

I scrubbed the trim, especially the areas with the wax stain, with a stiff plastic brush and a mixture of vinegar and baking soda. I then applied Mother's Back to Black, which gave the trim a nice dark look.

I'm not sure if all of the wax stain came off. It could be that there's still some on the trim and the Mother's is just hiding it. I'll know better once the Mother's starts to wear off, which I hope is not too soon.
Ruby with Pinnacle Paste Wax - large size 2.jpg

OP
OP
mauleed

mauleed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Convertible GT
So if I just used Pinnacle Souveran paste, you think I could just put it on the black too and it would look good?

Sponsored

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
So if I just used Pinnacle Souveran paste, you think I could just put it on the black too and it would look good?
I think so, Mauleed. I've gotten some Pinnacle on the black trim, and I know it doesn't leave a white wax residue.

But I haven't used it to actually treat the trim. I suspect Pinnacle would enhance the appearance and protect the trim, much like the Turtle Wax Ice that Bluebeastsrt mentions above.

But you might want to try it on small, inconspicuous spot of the trim first to see how it does.

OP
OP
mauleed

mauleed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Convertible GT
I just ordered some up, so I'll see how it does this weekend.

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
I just ordered some up, so I'll see how it does this weekend.
Let us know how it works on the trim. I might start using it. And let us know how you like the Pinnacle paste wax on the car. I bet you're gonna be pleased.

FlaGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic PP GT
I Use turtle wax ice. You can put it on the flat black side skirts. It'll protect them from fading. So no need to mask off the. Car.

Same here, been using it since day 1, been very happy with the results.

Sponsored

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)

scottdb1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium RR,43S,67G,975,RR,77R,94N
I used warm motor oil from the dip stick on a rag ,then wash the car good. I had a few spots of Surf City Nano Seal or Nano Glaze Gloss on the wife's Sonic ,this works just fine.

daytripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13GT500,'15 GT
I had wax stains on the black trim from using Meguiar's paste wax. I now use Pinnacle Souveran paste which does not leave a white residue on the plastic trim. Pinnacle is pricey but it leaves a nice deep shine, and it's easy on, easy off. Here's a pic of Ruby shortly after I used Pinnacle for the first time.

I scrubbed the trim, especially the areas with the wax stain, with a stiff plastic brush and a mixture of vinegar and baking soda. I then applied Mother's Back to Black, which gave the trim a nice dark look.

I'm not sure if all of the wax stain came off. It could be that there's still some on the trim and the Mother's is just hiding it. I'll know better once the Mother's starts to wear off, which I hope is not too soon.
All you had to do to remove the wax from your trim is use the Mothers.It will completely remove wax.I also notice every new car I buy seems to have a little better plastic that seems to not be as easily stained.

P51Guy

P51Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premiun GT Guard PP

This is a very good looking pony.
Sponsored