Sponsored

Garage-less Mustang Ownership - Protecting from the Elements

hardcoredrrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium + PP
Hello All,

I became a proud owner of a brand new '15 Ecoboost back in Jan. 2015. I will be moving into a townhome next month which means I won't have a garage any longer but rather just a couple dozen unreserved spots to park in on any given day. This brings up the issue of how can I protect my Stang from the elements?

I know waxing and washing helps, however it would be great if there was some sort of tent I could use that's the dimensions of a park spot and is easy to put up and take down daily.

I'd prefer not to use a standard car cover because having that contact with the surface of the vehicle will create micro-scratching due to the dust/dirt from the day's commute. I've come across car umbrellas like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Po...8&qid=1509988818&sr=8-7&keywords=car+umbrella
41gJ8xcPCrL.jpg

There will still be a few contact points though and the sides of the vehicle are still exposed. Wind may present issues as well. Therefore, does anyone know of a solution such as a car tent that is the dimensions of a parking spot?

Thanks!
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I will be questioning the durability of that cover when it's windy out.
Your best bet is make sure you wax the car frequently.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
That cover seems like it would only protect the roof, the sides would still be exposed to the elements. Also, as stated above, wind could be a factor. I bought a Covercraft Weathershield HP cover. It's a bit pricey at around $400, but is one of the best outdoor covers, and made of a very soft fabric. I'll throw it on when I know it's supposed to snow, or rain, especially after I just washed it. I can also throw it on the car, or take it off, in about 2 minutes...or less.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
You could always see how invested everyone else is in their cars and try to pull together to get a shade structure installed :D

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Another option would be rent a garage nearby.

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
Vehicle Showcase
Check to see of there is an older person nearby (who only has one vehicle) and will allow you to put your car in their garage(pay them of course). My father might do that when it snows for his mustang since his is a convertible (when I receive my new one).

OP
OP
hardcoredrrk

hardcoredrrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone for the inputs/suggestions. Unfortunately it sounds like a parking spot "car tent" doesn't exist. Maybe I can go MacGyver and create/invent one!

Just to recap, a traditional car cover isn't too desirable due to the fact that it's a daily driver hence the dirt/dust from each day's driving would create micro-scratching over time due to the cover's direct contact. Renting a garage is an interesting thought, but again being my daily would be tricky. I would have to have access to the garage at all times and it would have to be a very short walk from my house. Pulling together a shade structure with my fellow neighbors would likely be frowned upon by the HOA (because HOAs are always SOOOO accommodating). These are all things to consider though, even given their imperfect nature.

Btw - That video....
tenor.gif

CGADAMS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 1992 SSP LX 5.0 W/ 331 stroker
if you cant get a cover or any garage id recommend getting cermic pro or another ceramic coating installed. makes the vehicle easier to keep clean plus the added paint protection is outstanding. ive had it on my vehicle almost two years now and still looks amazing! youtube their videos or check out there website and they can set you up with a certified installer. its not cheap due to paint correction needed before hand and the time to properly install but like I stated earlier id do it again in a heartbeat

OP
OP
hardcoredrrk

hardcoredrrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if you cant get a cover or any garage id recommend getting cermic pro or another ceramic coating installed. makes the vehicle easier to keep clean plus the added paint protection is outstanding. ive had it on my vehicle almost two years now and still looks amazing! youtube their videos or check out there website and they can set you up with a certified installer. its not cheap due to paint correction needed before hand and the time to properly install but like I stated earlier id do it again in a heartbeat
Thanks for the input Chris. Yeah, a buddy of mine got a Kenzo ceramic coating a while back. I believe it set him back $600-ish for the 4 year layering. He has been really happy with it as well, although that is a good chunk of change compared to the cost of sealant/wax over the same duration. It's undeniable that ceramic comes with extra benefits though like you touched on.

You've perked my interest...time to do some research on decent ceramics for a low cost to use as a barrier against the elements.

Sponsored

ricardocabesa

STD free
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT w/PP
Microbead cover. I like mine. And if you're paranoid about "micro scratches", wash,wax,and polish it for winter,like you are going to do anyway.

aks0605

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Just throwing this in there as well since you live in Cali. id stay away from carnuba based waxes. Anything really over 100 degrees closer to about 105 makes the carnuba deteriorate. I live in Texas and deal with the same. For constant protection if you dont want to go with like an opti coat or a seaquartz then id use primarily sealants to protect your paint. There are tons out there but the once i really enjoy using is by chemical guys. its called JetSeal. ive used this so much over the years. i applied it to my truck as a tester for my detail business and it gave great results. Best example i can give was i had my truck parked at a job site and someone around us was spray painting and got over spray all over my truck. The Jet Seal allowed me to simply power wash the overspray off with no claybar needed. Its a hydrophobic product that allows 12 months of protection but i usually re applied at about 10 months because of the Texas heat.
Hope this helps

limited02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost
Thanks for the input Chris. Yeah, a buddy of mine got a Kenzo ceramic coating a while back. I believe it set him back $600-ish for the 4 year layering. He has been really happy with it as well, although that is a good chunk of change compared to the cost of sealant/wax over the same duration. It's undeniable that ceramic comes with extra benefits though like you touched on.

You've perked my interest...time to do some research on decent ceramics for a low cost to use as a barrier against the elements.
If you're wanting to do it on a budget, I'd opt for something like this: https://www.amazon.com/McKees-37-St...48462&sr=1-5&keywords=mckees+37+paint+coating

I personally will be giving it a shot if the wife buys it as a stocking stuffer for me.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
+1 on the Jet Seal from CG.

My car is outside uncovered 24/7 and I do a clay bar, wash, jet seal every 6 months, even the glass and wheels.
The car cleans up perfectly with a hose. and stays super clean from day to day.
Sponsored