Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Update on the Squeaking Noise as it relates to the Vertical links. I just wasn't having any peace about the old links from my coupe so I ended up calling Steeda and speaking with one of their techs. He asked what set I had ordered and I told him it was the Delrin bushings. He asked if I was planning on doing a lot of drag racing or hard launching and I told him that I mostly was looking for better performance on twisty roads and spirited driving. He suggested that I switch to polyurethane bushings instead of the delrin. They were half the price of the delrin and he gave me an additional discount on the order. I had the alignment shop remove the old vertical links and install the new set. Noise is gone and it drives like a dream! I've included a picture of the old vertical links below. One of the inside channels actually separated and dropped out of the inner bushing. Not sure if the bushing was damaged when removing from the coupe or installing on the vert- or maybe they were just a defective set; not sure. A note about my experience at the Performance shop..... I did not realize that this shop did NOT have a drive on lift, they were able to install the springs on a lift, but had to use a trans jack to set the suspension and torque one wheel at a time. I would highly recommend to anyone getting suspension work done that they take it to a shop with a drive on lift and have them relax the suspension with weight on all 4 tires and then re-torque to spec. Once the noise started the original shop could not diagnose the issue, they just loosened each side and re-torqued, but the noise was still there. The alignment shop I took it to had it diagnosed in less than 30 minutes and did a great job installing the new vertical links and also resetting the suspension on a proper lift. Another lesson learned....
20180708_205325.jpg
20180708_205335.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Had my Corsa Sport exhaust installed the same time I had the BMR springs and vertical links done. After I got it home I noticed that the tips were out of alignment. I decided to overlook it at first, but the more I looked at it the more dissatisfied I became. The left tip was actually touching the right side of the valance cutout. I took it to the original performance shop to have it re-aligned and they could not get it any closer. I contacted Corsa support and they suggested loosening the entire exhaust and attempt to reposition. No luck. Finally I ended up taking the stang to my local every day mechanic. I had originally approached my normal auto shop about doing a bunch of the Mod work but he seemed hesitant and did not get back to me with a quote in a timely manner. So I decided to take it to the Performance shop that had done some work on my coupe. I was not overly impressed with this shop but they seemed like the only place in town that wanted to do custom mods and were responsive in getting back to me. Long story short, my local mechanic Tony assessed the situation and suggested warming up the hanger on the rear muffler/tip section and adjusting the bend. 15 minutes later I was driving away with perfect tip alignment. He said he would have never let the car leave his shop with that poor of a tip alignment. Another strike against the original performance shop. I am officially done with them. I asked Tony, my local mechanic why he was hesitant to do "mod" work. He said he can do anything, but really makes his living on day to day basic repairs... he would have to pull one of his better mechanics off to do the specialized work and often things don't go as planned and need adjusting. He said any shop can install parts, it's the troubleshooting and adjusting after the fact that separates the good shops from the amateurs. Before I left he pointed to a 2017 Camaro sitting outside and said the guy who owns it literally pestered/begged him for weeks to fix his supercharger which was in bad shape due to one Performance shop screwing some things up and a Ford Dealership service dept breaking a bolt on one of the mounts. He knew the quality of Tony's work and wouldn't take no for an answer. Don't know why it's so hard to find good quality mechanics these days. Below is a few pics of the misaligned tips and then after the adjustment...Another lesson learned.
20180604_083947.jpg
tips1.jpg
20180708_123626.jpg
20180708_123641.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Bill, I agree with you. They were very helpful. I just wish I had done more research the first time on the vertical links. It does make me hesitant to transfer mods from one vehicle to another; at least the suspension mods that take a lot wear. When I sold the old exhaust on my coupe the guy i worked with offered to assist me in swapping the Steeda links off the coupe and putting the stock Ford units back on. It wasn't too difficult but it was a bit of a tight fit getting them off. Keep wondering if they were somehow molded over time while on the coupe with the Eibach lowering springs..then putting them on the vert with different lowering springs caused them to sit differently? I have it on my to do list to call Steeda and discuss what might have happened.

Thanks Bill. I wish I could do more of the work myself, but my back/neck just won't allow me to be crawling under vehicles on jack stands. In this case I believe I would have had to take it to a shop anyway as the hanger was just bent slightly crooked from the factory and needed some fabrication. The original performance shop I took it to is run by a bunch of young guys.... nice group of guys and I see them on Facebook doing some pretty advanced work such as replacing engines, complete rebuilds, superchargers, etc...Don't understand how they can do those things but they cannot adjust the tips on an exhaust or diagnose a noise in a suspension :question::facepalm:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Time to focus on the manual MT82 transmission. I had installed the Barton Hybrid 3 on my 2016 coupe and although it did eliminate a lot of the slop and provided a firm shift feel it was a bit over the top for me. When i purchased the Vert I realized that I wanted something in between stock and a total shifter replacement. I decided to go with the Steeda replacement bushing bracket along with the BG Synchroshift II Transmission Fluid. All I can say is WOW... what a difference; shifts are smooth, gates are well defined without a lot of thought or effort.

steeda shifter bracket.jpg
s603356336349758280_p53_i6_w960.jpeg

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Cleaned up the interior and exterior in preparation for some cosmetic installs. I have to say that I am really liking the combination of the Leather and Alcantara/Suede inserts. With the top down on a very hot day the sun does not heat up the inserts to the degree that full leather would. I purchased a special brush from Adams to clean and lift the nap of the alcantara which should keep it looking nice.

https://www.amazon.com/Adams-Cockpit-Brush-Designed-Thoroughly/dp/B00632VHH4

20180512_225236.jpg
20180512_225243.jpg
20180512_225303.jpg
20180512_225415.jpg
adams brush.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
WInd Restrictor Review: After much research I had narrowed my search down to two products. The Wind Restrictor Brand and the Love The Drive.
I decided to purchase the "Wind Restrictor" brand first as the idea of keeping the back seats accessible and the light up feature intrigued me. The WindRestrictor® brand wind deflector attaches to the head rest posts of the front seats using a bracket and small hex nuts/bolts. I found the mounting system to be very cumbersome and not easy to take on and off. You are pretty much committed to leaving it on most of the time. When I first received the unit it did not ship with the correct bolts so I had to contact the company and get a new set shipped out to me. To make matters worse the new set did not ship with adequate postage so I had to pay the difference in order to take possession of the package :facepalm:. Once the unit was installed the first thing I noticed was the rear view was dramatically obstructed by the laser etched graphics. I didn't really think about this at first when purchasing it, but with the top down I still had a hard time seeing through the glass to quickly and easily process what was behind me. The day I installed it we were actually on our way to PA for the American Muscle Car show. I knew within 5 minutes that this was not going to work and removed it for the rest of the trip. I cannot imagine trying to see out the back with this installed and the top up. It's hard enough with the tiny rear window on the convertibles. As far as wind restriction goes it did an adequate job when the windows were rolled up, but there was still a significant draft of wind flowing between the center console which could be problematic in colder climates. I was also disappointed by the fact that it only came with a 15 day money back guarantee. This was not clearly spelled out on the website or in the documentation. I had assumed that I could easily return it if not happy, but the company would not budge..... I was even prepared to pay for shipping and a restocking fee. At this point I am not sure if I will keep it for occasional car shows or resell it on ebay. This company also produces a model for corvette's which I think is where this product really works well.. on a 2-seater sports couple with no rear seats this product looks great. I did not take any pictures while the unit was installed as I was in a hurry to get our road trip going. I have a few pictures below during the install process, along with a link to a demo video in case anyone wants to see how it mounts and looks when fully installed.

My next purchase will be the Love The Drive and will have a full review of that unit.....

You Tube Video:

20180515_212144.jpg
20180515_212149.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Bill. I must have really been gone for a long time from this forum since you are calling me "Norm" :shock:... I have been really busy with my IT business this summer. Normally my clients are taking vacations and not thinking about computers, but for some reason this has been the busiest season of my 12 years in business. I have been chomping at the bit to get some of these mods done and literally have had no time. :headbang:

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
No Worries Bill! My parents named me after Lorne Greene (Bonanza) and I have had many variations to my name given. Just giving you a hard time!

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted to review some of the basic mechanical modifications that were added.
1. Corsa Sport Exhaust- The convertible requires a specific model of the Corsa due to the under bracing. I was a bit concerned at first that the exhaust was too loud with the top down vs the coupe. I even considered going back to stock or replacing the X pipe with a resonator, but those concerns were eventually dispelled once the exhaust settled in. It is the perfect balance between the low rumble and exotic sounds. It's made this car so much fun to drive and really adds to the experience.
2. BMR Lowering Springs- I went with the minimum drop linear springs vs a progressive. I wanted to ensure ride comfort and because of the extra weight of the vert did not want to drop it too dramatically. Once I figured out the vertical link issue/noise these springs really settled in. They are the perfect balance between stance, performance and comfort.
3. Steeda Subframe Alignment Kit- straightened up the rear end and a recommended mod when dropping the subframe to install the springs.
4. Steeda Vertical Links (Polyurethane)- recommended for road course and spirited driving, replaced the delrin bushings that were installed previously.

20180708_123647.jpg
20180708_123708.jpg
20180708_123714.jpg
20180708_123726.jpg

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I had a bit of a challenge deciding upon a front license plate bracket. Wisconsin requires a front plate and I had previously used the Sto N Sho license plate bracket on my 2016 coupe. Although it was an easy solution it did have some drawbacks. The biggest being that it mounted underneath the front splitter. The GT is not as low as say the GT350, but i found the bracket would scrape as well as the license plate frame itself due to the lower mount position. I discovered when I purchased my 2017 Vert that my original Sto N Show would not work due to the aggressive front splitter of the CS. I did some more research and eventually decided upon Craigs Custom Mustang Bracket http://ccmustangbrackets.com/ The bracket plate mounts to the underside of the front bumper with incredibly strong 3m tape that has been tested extensively. I love the placement of the plate and it is very easy to take off if needed. No more scraping my license plate when pulling up to a parking stall.

20180706_170706.jpg
20180706_170711.jpg
20180706_170724.jpg
20180706_170734.jpg
20180708_123457.jpg
20180708_123503.jpg
20180708_123512.jpg

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Switch from Coupe to Convertible Impressions:

It has been 5 months since i traded in my 2016 GT Coupe for a 2017 GT Convertible. I wanted to share my thoughts and impressions for anyone who might be contemplating the move.

1. Drive-ability- for some reason the convertible just seems easier to drive. The car handles better, easier to shift and more comfortable with around town, in traffic driving. My coupe always seemed stiff even though it was not a PP model. I did do some more aggressive mods in terms on suspension, but I did not expect this type of difference. My daughter has driven both and said the same thing. She was never totally comfortable in the coupe.
The bracing and under body is so well done that at times I cannot really tell that I am driving a convertible in terms of body roll, handling, etc... more on that later.
2. Driving Experience (Fun Factor)- The first time I drove it with the top down I knew that this is what I wanted. The top down experience is unmatched. There is something about the open air, the sense of sight, sound, smell, feel of the wind etc. The best driving experience is late in the day, just before sunset on a warm 70-80 degree day that is unmatched. Hearing the exhaust has been a big plus as well. I initially was worried that the Corsa Sport exhaust would be too loud for a vert, but it works perfectly for me. Even the stock exhaust would be acceptable for most with the top down.
3. Appearance- I have to admit that the convertible just does not have the same "sexy/mean" look as the coupe. Top down I really think the vert looks killer. Top up it's just "ok" for me. I don't know if I will ever really like the top up look that much. I wished Ford would have contoured the roof line closer to the coupe standards (similar to the Camaro convertible). The top also has a lot of blemishes and wrinkles that form with use; being OCD I have to just adjust my expectations and be ok with it.
4. Performance- As I mentioned above, most of the time I do not see or feel any difference between the coupe and convertible. It's plenty fast for me. I will most likely be adding either the Ford Power Pack 2 or the 2018 Intake Manifold and a Lund Tune. I cannot see myself supercharging this car. I added BMR lowering springs which enhanced the handling significantly...I can whip through a round about without even thinking about body roll
5. Reliability- I've had just 2 minor issues. The rear side glass panel was scratched from some object within the chamber and the passenger side rear window would not fully close with the top down. Both of these problems were resolved by the local dealership under warranty.
6. Visibility/Interior- top down no issue with this. With the top up the rear window is smaller than the coupe, but very acceptable. The rest of the view is similar to the coupe although the taller roof line does increase the sense of spaciousness and less of a confined feel. I am not a tall guy (5'7") but definitely appreciate the extra room. I am a bit claustrophobic- not that the coupe was ever an issue, but the vert feels roomier. The California Special seats with the leather/alcantara inserts has been a big hit with everyone. They hug you in the seat and are not as sloppy as the premium pkg leather seats. For some reason I was never comfortable in them as I tended to slide around more.
6. Gas Mileage- I think my mileage is a little less than the coupe due to the body design, driving with the top down creates more drag etc. But it's livable.

I hope this helps anyone out there looking to make a similar decision. I am in no way putting down the coupe, I did enjoy my 2016. I am actually thinking I will pick one up again down the road for a different purpose (Track), but for now for what I wanted in terms of a fun summer driving experience that all of the family could enjoy this has been a hit.
Sponsored