Sponsored

Problems with gt350 yet again.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It’s been reported on this site that some members have found the starter bolts to be loose. A loose starter also creates a ground fault.

1) Disconnect the battery.
2) Safely get the car up on jack stands or a lift.
3) Locate the starter and disconnect the wires. Check wires and ends for any damages.
4) Remove the starter from engine. Clean off any debris, grime etc from the body of starter, engine plate and face of starter.
5) Reinstall starter making sure the teeth line up and remember to torque the starter bolts to 18 ft. lbs.
6) Hook up starter wires again, make sure all connections are clean, tight and secure.
7) Hook up battery connections again making sure battery posts and terminal ends are clean and secured.

The car should start.
———

Aside from the starter, a no start condition can also be attributed to other possibilities:

1) damaged tone ring

2) damaged crank sensor or the harness/connector to it

3) manual transmission - make sure the clutch safety switch is working and has not been damaged. Usually if this switch is failing it will create sporadic starting issues.

4) Linked thread is related to the brake pedal switch. If this switch has come apart or fails, it will create operational havoc while driving or could also cause other issues when trying to start vehicle.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/brake-light-switch-near-pedal-failure.122100/

—-

Do you have any stored codes? If you don’t know or if you don’t have a Code reader, check this thread out; you can extract stored codes from the dash cluster (if there are any): https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...h-cluster-using-engineering-test-mode.148033/
Sponsored

Last edited:

Buckwampum

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 (which replaces my 2011 GT500, which replaced my 2002 Z06)
If you think it’s heat soak, put an insulating wrap (heat shield) on the starter. They are ~$50 on Amazon. Looks like a miniature trans blanket

volcanogod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 350
Has anyone had issues with starter getting heat soaked? My old 91 GT had this issue. My 2016 currently cold starts fine after 3 weeks, but it has made me carry a jump start pack as a few times I thought I was going to have to walk. FYI I'm still rolling with the original OEM battery. :) Five years on any battery is awesome!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I seriously doubt any GT350 at any typical Earth temperature will get heat soak in the starter after driving around on the street for 20 minutes. Maybe 10+ years from now if the starter is completely worn out.

I would just take it to the dealership. But if it's out of warranty and you really want to do it yourself, the best thing IMO is to buy the Helm manual and follow the troubleshooting guides within it. I think every Mustang owner should have one.

Or work with CobraJet. His post above is excellent.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Sponsored

OP
OP

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2016 Hellcat Charger, 2020 mustang GT
Starter is replaced and same issue. Idk what to do from here. I put a new battery in and a new starter. Dealer told me they ordered a 16 harness even though I have a 19 engine and told me they made it work. I didn’t have this starter issue until that dealer touched my car. Any ideas guys?

JC5188

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Kona Blue
Starter is replaced and same issue. Idk what to do from here. I put a new battery in and a new starter. Dealer told me they ordered a 16 harness even though I have a 19 engine and told me they made it work. I didn’t have this starter issue until that dealer touched my car. Any ideas guys?
Phrases like “made it work” don’t exactly give me the warm and fuzzies. Is the ‘16 harness different from the ‘19?

If possible, I’d find another dealer for a second opinion. They are not all created equal.

OP
OP

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
Phrases like “made it work” don’t exactly give me the warm and fuzzies. Is the ‘16 harness different from the ‘19?

If possible, I’d find another dealer for a second opinion. They are not all created equal.
I think it is different man, so what do I need to do just take it back to them and see what they say? Try and get the right harness ordered?

JC5188

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Kona Blue
I think it is different man, so what do I need to do just take it back to them and see what they say? Try and get the right harness ordered?
If it’s for sure different, I’d do exactly that.

OP
OP

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
car ran fine after having harness replaced. I hope that's what it is.

Sponsored
OP
OP

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
Got an appointment scheduled Monday apparently the oil sensor was different or something so they spliced it to make it work. Having them put the right one in Monday.

Last edited:
OP
OP

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
Bump: anyone think this could possibly be the alternator causing all my issues?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Bump: anyone think this could possibly be the alternator causing all my issues?
Probably not.

If the alternator were a problem, you would have difficulties starting the car after it sits overnight. And the problem would just get worse and worse. You would be able to start it if you jumped the battery.

I'm agreeing with the dealer that wiring is the most probable issue. When the car is hot it takes more torque (thus more electrical energy) to turn the engine. If you have a poor connection in the wiring harness that could explain why it would start cold, but not hot. They already replaced the starter and battery, so those components were probably not causing your problems. Being that the car has been working properly since the wiring harness was replaced, it makes sense that a faulty harness was the issue.

OP
OP

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
Probably not.

If the alternator were a problem, you would have difficulties starting the car after it sits overnight. And the problem would just get worse and worse. You would be able to start it if you jumped the battery.

I'm agreeing with the dealer that wiring is the most probable issue. When the car is hot it takes more torque (thus more electrical energy) to turn the engine. If you have a poor connection in the wiring harness that could explain why it would start cold, but not hot. They already replaced the starter and battery, so those components were probably not causing your problems. Being that the car has been working properly since the wiring harness was replaced, it makes sense that a faulty harness was the issue.
Makes sense man!

Last edited: