Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
this car had a 4.6

That’s okay. I get it. Any engine can be made bullet proof with enough money. I am talking for the common Joe. The 4.6 was the worst Ford decision in a long time. In 1996 someone made the stupid choice of a 215hp 4.6 to replace a legend. My ‘88 and ‘90 could take so much power. I still can’t believe it took over a decade to get back to what we now have is the Coyote. It has now become another legend. Just my thoughts. Feel free to rip.
Sponsored

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
That’s okay. I get it. Any engine can be made bullet proof with enough money. I am talking for the common Joe. The 4.6 was the worst Ford decision in a long time. In 1996 someone made the stupid choice of a 215hp 4.6 to replace a legend. My ‘88 and ‘90 could take so much power. I still can’t believe it took over a decade to get back to what we now have is the Coyote. It has now become another legend. Just my thoughts. Feel free to rip.
It’s you’re opinion and you’re entitled to it, but the 4-valve 4.6 mod motor was one of greatest motors ever made—definitely one of the best and most accomplished engines that Ford ever made—they won multiple engine awards for it back in the 1990s.

It existed in Cobras and Mach 1 and then expanded to 5.4L Navigators, Cobra R, FPV Falcon, and GT500, then it grew even more to the 5.8L. It was Ford branching in a different direction than the push rod, which it’s competitors at GM and Dodge still use (sans the upcoming Z06). Even super car manufacturers used the mod-motor architecture. Koenigsegg even used the mod-motor.
1629253960454.jpeg

4.6L Mod Motors we’re badass, but for Ford moving to overhead cam mod motors in 1990, we wouldn’t have our current generation Ford engines.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
4.6L
No thank you.
I never liked the 4.6 liter Ford engines either, but I'd take one for free. Worst case I'd have an easy time selling the car without losing a bunch on the transaction.

Sponsored

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Will never forget my ‘96 Cobra. Spectacular car. Bought it new and put 120k miles on it.
which was a 4 valve, and therefore the “good“ 4.6…

… in comparison 😬

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Humbly disagree. The 4.6L DOHC 4-valve in my ‘96 Cobra was bulletproof. No oil use... was a scalded cat right off the showroom floor.

Now, the 5.4L 3-valve Triton in the F150 in 2004?................ man, what a serious headache. The plug design was enough to make it a mess alone.

GT350/BT55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Conv Pack Avalanche White Stripe
What a asinine comment...the 350/R going up are uniquely due to the fact that they are very special cars and nothing to do with inflation as your post imply
Inflation for 2021 is predicted to be 2.1%, which is very, very low
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kiplinger.com/economic-forecasts/inflation?amp
Sorry, with all due respect. All this talk of inflation being transient and 2-7% is a joke.
I run a business that manufactures steel framing and components. Steel was $.38 lb in March 2020. It is now $1.20 lb. Wood, plastics, resins, transportation, etc and many other costs have EXPLODED. Try like 300%. The real inflation that is going on, right now, has never been seen before. Not only have prices gone FKN crazy, there is very little material to buy, shortages everywhere. I am 60 YO. This is the worst inflationary period I have ever been through x 10.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Sorry, with all due respect. All this talk of inflation being transient and 2-7% is a joke.
I run a business that manufactures steel framing and components. Steel was $.38 lb in March 2020. It is now $1.20 lb. Wood, plastics, resins, transportation, etc and many other costs have EXPLODED. Try like 300%. The real inflation that is going on, right now, has never been seen before. Not only have prices gone FKN crazy, there is very little material to buy, shortages everywhere. I am 60 YO. This is the worst inflationary period I have ever been through x 10.
I agree with some of what you posted but pricing for commodities such as lumber is dropping like a stone as the price of lumber declined for the 7th straight week which ended up erasing all of the pricing gains for this commodity for all of 2021.

It is just a matter of time before other commodities follow suit but possibly not to the degree that lumber has taken..

Having said, that pricing for our 2nd generation GT350/R's will continue to stay strong and especially for the 2 seat cars.

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2012 Leaf daily
I hear where you are coming from, but there's a difference between what we should call inflation and price increases associated with fluctuating supply issues due to a global pandemic. I actually quite agree with this explanation:
https://www.clevelandfed.org/en/new...ation-why-knowing-the-difference-matters.aspx

Sponsored

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
We are seeing it as well. We do a lot of Stainless Fabrications and the material is through the roof! Yes, the customers are pissed.. but I’m not eating it. Passing it on.

The cost of a shipping container in 2019 was $5k. Anywhere in the world. Now it’s $26k. Inflation is real and it’s not 7%!

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
We are seeing it as well. We do a lot of Stainless Fabrications and the material is through the roof! Yes, the customers are pissed.. but I’m not eating it. Passing it on.

The cost of a shipping container in 2019 was $5k. Anywhere in the world. Now it’s $26k. Inflation is real and it’s not 7%!
Dontcha think other factors contribute to the cost of containers exploding? People have found it’s cheaper to build based off containers than would or concrete.

Also, if the majority of the containers are sitting at ports, not emptied andjust gathering dust with commodities contained, is that not driving up costs of everything?

@PP0001 I’m concerned about our truck drivers. It appears they’re either under-performing due to costs and other factors, politically motivated to slow trucking down or being bought out by companies with ulterior motives (Bill Gates based companies, etc) or a combo thereof... have you heard any chatter?

GT350/BT55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Conv Pack Avalanche White Stripe
Right now, the amount of products that used to be made in
Dontcha think other factors contribute to the cost of containers exploding? People have found it’s cheaper to build based off containers than would or concrete.

Also, if the majority of the containers are sitting at ports, not emptied andjust gathering dust with commodities contained, is that not driving up costs of everything?

@PP0001 I’m concerned about our truck drivers. It appears they’re either under-performing due to costs and other factors, politically motivated to slow trucking down or being bought out by companies with ulterior motives (Bill Gates based companies, etc) or a combo thereof... have you heard any chatter?
Right now, the amount of products that used to be made in US are taking a further (HUGE) dive from where they were pre-pandemic.

When carbon steel went from $.39 to $.60 a LB, it negated any tariff in place to ward off pre-finished goods coming in from overseas. Now that carbon steel is $1.20, impossible to find, in addn to labor shortages, exploding freight costs., etc., US manufacturers are importing 1000X what they did 3 years ago. It's a shame, but it is the truth.

One year from now the US steel mills will want to convene congress to investigate "unfair dumping" of finished goods in the US. The situation THEY are causing, right now, due to collusion and treating their customers like fish in a barrel. No other country would allow this to go on.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)

Too much that I could speak to but can say that our OTR transportation industry in NA has always under-performed due to many factors one of which is predatory pricing within our industry (we love to eat our own) and of course the ever ongoing lack of qualified manpower that is required to fill all the seats for the tens of thousands of trucks that continue to sit idly in various truckers terminals all over America due to the lack of qualified drivers.

Not many of the younger generation want to be away from home for more than a day let alone head out on the road for 2 weeks or more at a time therefore OTR driving positions are not very attractive to most individuals.

The newer generation seemingly wants to be home every night with their families and want to sit in front of a computer and/or TV.

Do I get all that, absolutely thus the ongoing dilemma that the trucking industry continues to face on a daily, weekly and yearly basis.

LDHunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Rapid Red 2022 GT Premium California Special 10sp
The beauty of our capitalist economy is that it's self checking. OTR truck drivers don't make enough yet so demand is exceeding supply and pay scales will rise until supply meets demand. Of course that means that a LOT of our goods and services prices will rise as well... <sigh>
https://www.zippia.com/over-the-road-driver-jobs/salary/

Whether we have run away inflation or not depends on which side of the aisle the commentator sits on. Conservative or liberal. The truth is very hard to root out these days.
Sponsored

Last edited: