OP
OP
SDStang06

SDStang06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 A10 GT
I think if you can be done dealing with the previous owner, be done. Wash your hands of that mess and put your energy into enjoying your new car. If you want an extra warranty, check out what is available from Flood Ford. I got one for my new purchase because I'm going to own the car for years beyond the bumper to bumper.

Unrelated to your concern, but I just got back from a week in SD - really enjoyed the city, and there great roads out east. Bunch of S550's running around, too.
Glad you enjoyed your stay! We are really spoiled here. Mustang scene used to be a lot better here but I find that the occasional cars and coffee is enough interaction with other owners.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SDStang06

SDStang06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 A10 GT
Thanks for all the responses guys. Really appreciative. For those interested in how I handled it, I sent him a scare tactic text. Threatened legal action as I have an eye witness to the deal (my friend who helped me pick up the car) and his craigslist ad that states the warranty comes with the car. Really I just expect to never hear from him again and to wipe my hands clean. But maybe I'll at least own a little space in the back of his head for awhile.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Thanks for all the responses guys. Really appreciative. For those interested in how I handled it, I sent him a scare tactic text. Threatened legal action as I have an eye witness to the deal (my friend who helped me pick up the car) and his craigslist ad that states the warranty comes with the car. Really I just expect to never hear from him again and to wipe my hands clean. But maybe I'll at least own a little space in the back of his head for awhile.
Wait. You said you had a copy but say the ad actually said it included the warranty. This sounds like a slam dunk small claims case. If you do, hope he gets the refund first since the court order to buy you a new one will cost him a lot more. A problem with small claims is actually collecting, but him being a deputy works in your favor. I don't think any department would take kindly to a deputy not paying a court order.

OP
OP
SDStang06

SDStang06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 A10 GT
Wait. You said you had a copy but say the ad actually said it included the warranty. This sounds like a slam dunk small claims case. If you do, hope he gets the refund first since the court order to buy you a new one will cost him a lot more. A problem with small claims is actually collecting, but him being a deputy works in your favor. I don't think any department would take kindly to a deputy not paying a court order.
This was his ad for the vehicle. States it clearly, hilariously actually states it as most importantly. I went through all of our text messages, none mention the warranty unfortunately. I have never taken anyone to small claims so I'm not sure if I have a case or not. Biggest thing would be the fact that he is in LA and I am in San Diego. So now we are talking about missing time off of work, hassle, etc. Hoping the threatening text may do it, but he has not responded yet.
IMG_20190611_210709.jpg

Deleted member 35786

A verbal agreement never holds up in court. You need written or signed documents. Lesson learned and press on my freind, dont waste your time with him at this point.
Sorry about your luck.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Before you do anything:

Contact your local Ford Dealer - explain that you just purchased the car and ask if they can tell you if the Plans are still on the vehicle. Ask them to confirm who owns the vehicle. They can run a Ford OASIS report that contains all vehicle history, including what plans are tacked onto the VIN, what repair history it’s had (warranty or other) as long as it was performed at a Ford Dealer and what remains of the factory warranties.

If the plans transferred and everything is in your name now - I’m pretty sure the prior owner is SOL...

BE EXTREMELY cautious of sending that scammer any more money! How do you know he had not already called Ford and requested a refund on the balance of those plans? YOU DON’T KNOW.... because if he already canceled and is waiting for Ford refund on the plans, then he’s trying to cut some type of deal with you to have YOU pay him for these plans - the dude is scamming big time.

Have you even verified he’s associated with any PD out in CA? Like actually called and made sure he’s still employed?

Whatever you do, call or go to a local Ford Dealership and tell them your dilemma and ask to have them run your VIN through OASIS. It will even show if any extended plans have been canceled...

Gotta be careful out there man - there’s jerkoffs and scammers everywhere...

OP
OP
SDStang06

SDStang06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 A10 GT
Before you do anything:

Contact your local Ford Dealer - explain that you just purchased the car and ask if they can tell you if the Plans are still on the vehicle. Ask them to confirm who owns the vehicle. They can run a Ford OASIS report that contains all vehicle history, including what plans are tacked onto the VIN, what repair history it’s had (warranty or other) as long as it was performed at a Ford Dealer and what remains of the factory warranties.

If the plans transferred and everything is in your name now - I’m pretty sure the prior owner is SOL...

BE EXTREMELY cautious of sending that scammer any more money! How do you know he had not already called Ford and requested a refund on the balance of those plans? YOU DON’T KNOW.... because if he already canceled and is waiting for Ford refund on the plans, then he’s trying to cut some type of deal with you to have YOU pay him for these plans - the dude is scamming big time.

Have you even verified he’s associated with any PD out in CA? Like actually called and made sure he’s still employed?

Whatever you do, call or go to a local Ford Dealership and tell them your dilemma and ask to have them run your VIN through OASIS. It will even show if any extended plans have been canceled...

Gotta be careful out there man - there’s jerkoffs and scammers everywhere...
Appreciate the detailed response Cobra, I have confirmed with my local dealership, through Oasis, that it has these plans and they are current. He has NOT cancelled them and got a refund. I have not verified that he is actually currently still employed with the sheriff's office, but through my work with tons of law enforcement I am 100% sure he is still employed. I really don't want to rattle that cage, but it is definitely a shame that you can't trust a sheriff officer to do the right thing. I mean one of the huge reasons I bought the dang car from him was because he was an officer and it was a safe assumption the car wasn't too beat on.

He has called me back but I was unable to answer as I was heading into an appointment. So communication is ongoing. We shall see where this goes.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
OP
OP
SDStang06

SDStang06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 A10 GT
Was it in his name?
Yes sir, it was in his name and confirmed still active.

So my scare tactic somewhat worked yesterday, we have renegotiated a new deal. He has given me everything I need to transfer the warranty to my name. Once Ford confirms that the process is fully complete and that all three warranties/plans are in my name, I am going to give him a $1,000 payment. Yes, I am still getting screwed but this is a much easier and guaranteed route than trying small claims court. I am unashamed to give you guys the full scoop, I paid 36.5 for the car, this puts me at 37.5. Too much? Probably. But lesson learned.

One thing I want to mention is that there is not a whole lot of info online about how transferring these plans/warranties works. If there is a S550 buying guide thread out there I'd recommend adding that the seller is responsible for transferring the plans and to make sure he completes it or you have something in writing prior to giving full payment. Or maybe this is already mentioned somewhere and I missed it.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So if he’s transferring the warranties over to you - why are you paying him anything at all?

The ad stated the extended warranty was included.

If a car is sold or advertised with extended warranty plans - that’s included in the selling or asking price. It said no where in that ad that if a Buyer purchased the car, there would be additional cost to transfer the Plans with title.

That’s a scam no matter which way you want to look at it - paying additional money for plans that were clearly advertised as included with the asking price is a sham deal.

I honestly don’t think you should pay a dime more than what you have already.

OP
OP
SDStang06

SDStang06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 A10 GT
So if he’s transferring the warranties over to you - why are you paying him anything at all?

If a car is sold or advertised with extended warranty plans - that’s included in the selling or asking price. It said no where in that ad that if a Buyer purchased the car, there would be additional cost to transfer the Plans with title.

That’s a scam no matter which way you want to look at it - paying additional money for plans that were clearly advertised as included with the asking price is a sham deal.

I agree, but unfortunately my only leverage is small claims court, and I don't have documentation or much support for my case, imo. And then I miss a day of work, probably have to drive up to LA and back, etc. Really its cut ties and just use factory warranty, or pay the guy 1k get premium care, maintenance plan, and triple care plan. I could go back on my own word and not pay him once everything is transferred over, but then Im playing with fire with a sheriff officer who has all my info. And this time we typed up an agreement on my payment to him, him transferring the warranty, etc.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
game of chicken now, as he has to hope you will pay the 1k if he transfers rather than refunds. Seems like the Premium Care would automatically follow the car, or the title of the car to minimize hassle. Did you at least get the car inspected by a mechanic to try to make sure it didn't have prior accidents ?

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase

This seems right to me. You might suggest to him that once he has fulfilled his part of the contract (that began with an offer of the Plan as part of the price) you might be real nice and pay the transfer fee, if any.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
This was his ad for the vehicle. States it clearly, hilariously actually states it as most importantly. I went through all of our text messages, none mention the warranty unfortunately. I have never taken anyone to small claims so I'm not sure if I have a case or not. Biggest thing would be the fact that he is in LA and I am in San Diego. So now we are talking about missing time off of work, hassle, etc. Hoping the threatening text may do it, but he has not responded yet.
IMG_20190611_210709.jpg
Small claims is not a terrible adventure, even if it's California. From occasional listening to "Handle on the Law", you fill out a few documents and have them served. The crook should not be difficult to find, considering where he works :D. He'll not likely vanish, considering 20 years on the job. Sue him in San Diego County (?), make him do the drive. Heck, some of his co-workers may enjoy serving the papers. You can't be the first person he's ripped off.
Sponsored