Sponsored

PP Brake Behavior Question

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
This question really only applies to those with PP brakes on a GT (6 piston Brembos up front). Recently I've noticed this strong burning smell which I thought at first to be originating from the engine.

After a through look through, it was dry as a bone (dealer said same thing when I took it in). I believe the burning smell is actually originating from the front brakes, noticed the strong burning smell yesterday when I pulled into the parking lot, got out of the car and smelled it outside the car as well.

The odor seems the most intense right by the front drivers side wheel, but some burning smell also on the passenger side. No rubbing of the tire in the wheel well (stock PP springs are still on as I haven't installed the BMR lowering springs yet) on 275/40R19 tires, which are same diameter as factory PP tires, just a bit wider up front. Never had clearance issues on my ecoboost either and I kept the Pilot Sport AS3+ tires and RTR Tech 7 wheels which is what is on the GT now.

It's not rubbing against the strut either, there's plenty of clearance. Recently I've noticed that the brakes just don't grab some times for the first second (seems random), like when you get heavy water on the rotors and they slip until the water evaporates.

It is a bit damp and cold outside with water spray while driving, but it only happened once today (not grabbing for about a second). I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed an increased sensitivity to water contamination on their PP brakes compared to a non PP car or regular passenger car. Having come from a base model Ecoboost, the PP brakes are far better in terms of breaking power and smoothness, but they seem to at times not grab for a second or two like they are getting contaminated with water. I don't see any fluid leaks, breaks are stock and have never been touched so far and I don't feel any spongyness in the pedal so I don't believe there are any air bubbles in the lines. Car as about 7200 miles on it.

I looked at the back of the front rotors from under the car and it doesn't appear there's much in the way of water shielding of the rotor (which if you want to cool off the rotor, there can't be for the control arm air deflectors to work), my ecoboost had a full water / debris shield as have all my other cars, but the PP shield is only on the bottom 30%.

I wanted to check and see if anyone else has noticed this more sensitive behavior with their stock PP brakes in regards to water or if maybe something else is going on (not sure if the "not grabbing" initially at times is related to water contamination or the burning smell or possibly both).

I'm starting to wonder if the seemingly randomly occurring burning smell is from what ever is getting on the rotor burning off. Strangest thing is though, when I checked the brake last time that odor was present, the rotor was actually cold, not even warm....yet it smelled like a burning rubber or oil odor pretty strong right around the wheel well. I suppose the contaminates could be burning off without heating up the rotor, it's a large and very well cooled rotor so I can't rule out that possibility.
Sponsored

k4show

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP
Check the backside of the rotor. I had similar contamination (I'm thinking it was deep snow that got oil spray from my chassis onto the rotors). I had the car oil sprayed months ago for rust protection.

Check out these photos of my PP before and after brake cleaner and wire brush

SOn5ObA.jpg

qDOHC5u.jpg

Last edited:

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
get a can of brake cleaner and take the rim off and clean both sides and spin the rotors as you clean them .. might help get the crap off if there is anything there

k4show

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP
get a can of brake cleaner and take the rim off and clean both sides and spin the rotors as you clean them .. might help get the crap off if there is anything there
I had to wire brush mine as well they were so bad. See the pics above.

Sponsored

DeLorean17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I just had this happen to me this morning on the way to work. Definitely not used to PP brakes not working.

You are right that there is something on them. I can see it, but I’m not sure if it’s oil.

I have the silver wheels, and they are usually filthy with brake dust. They are too clean for how long it’s been since a wash.

I think it may be brake dust that got trapped by the slush and salt?

The rear rotors are perfectly clean, the front have visible spotting and feel like there is something there.

It has been really wet and humid the past few days as it has warmed up, but doesn’t look like rust.

On my car, both front rotors have the spotting, so at least in my case, I don’t think it could be oil leaking from the filter.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Brake clean is your friend :)

PP brakes are ridiculously easy to service. Take off the wheel, take them apart, clean, clean clean, use a green scotch pad on the rotors and clean them real niiiice like, then put it all back together and give the car a series of 50 to 10 hard slow downs and then go for a 10 min drive.

Jwod1993

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
This question really only applies to those with PP brakes on a GT (6 piston Brembos up front). Recently I've noticed this strong burning smell which I thought at first to be originating from the engine.

After a through look through, it was dry as a bone (dealer said same thing when I took it in). I believe the burning smell is actually originating from the front brakes, noticed the strong burning smell yesterday when I pulled into the parking lot, got out of the car and smelled it outside the car as well.

The odor seems the most intense right by the front drivers side wheel, but some burning smell also on the passenger side. No rubbing of the tire in the wheel well (stock PP springs are still on as I haven't installed the BMR lowering springs yet) on 275/40R19 tires, which are same diameter as factory PP tires, just a bit wider up front. Never had clearance issues on my ecoboost either and I kept the Pilot Sport AS3+ tires and RTR Tech 7 wheels which is what is on the GT now.

It's not rubbing against the strut either, there's plenty of clearance. Recently I've noticed that the brakes just don't grab some times for the first second (seems random), like when you get heavy water on the rotors and they slip until the water evaporates.

It is a bit damp and cold outside with water spray while driving, but it only happened once today (not grabbing for about a second). I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed an increased sensitivity to water contamination on their PP brakes compared to a non PP car or regular passenger car. Having come from a base model Ecoboost, the PP brakes are far better in terms of breaking power and smoothness, but they seem to at times not grab for a second or two like they are getting contaminated with water. I don't see any fluid leaks, breaks are stock and have never been touched so far and I don't feel any spongyness in the pedal so I don't believe there are any air bubbles in the lines. Car as about 7200 miles on it.

I looked at the back of the front rotors from under the car and it doesn't appear there's much in the way of water shielding of the rotor (which if you want to cool off the rotor, there can't be for the control arm air deflectors to work), my ecoboost had a full water / debris shield as have all my other cars, but the PP shield is only on the bottom 30%.

I wanted to check and see if anyone else has noticed this more sensitive behavior with their stock PP brakes in regards to water or if maybe something else is going on (not sure if the "not grabbing" initially at times is related to water contamination or the burning smell or possibly both).

I'm starting to wonder if the seemingly randomly occurring burning smell is from what ever is getting on the rotor burning off. Strangest thing is though, when I checked the brake last time that odor was present, the rotor was actually cold, not even warm....yet it smelled like a burning rubber or oil odor pretty strong right around the wheel well. I suppose the contaminates could be burning off without heating up the rotor, it's a large and very well cooled rotor so I can't rule out that possibility.

I have around 7500 miles on mine. I noticed the same problem a few months ago when I drove home from work in some slush. When I got home I noticed a very strong smell coming from the front brakes. Also had the same symptoms you did with the pads not grabbing initially. I also noticed that the pads seemed to be rubbing or sticking when driving, car just didn't seem to roll as well.

So I took the brakes apart and after further inspection, I noticed that the copper adhesive that holds the backing plate onto the pad was oozing over onto the front of the pads. Almost seemed like they put way too much adhesive on the back of the pads.

So after going back to the dealer, thinking I had just a bad set of pads. I had them reorder me a whole new set of pads. They also recut the rotors. The car drove fine after that, but after the next snowstorm, same problem was happening again. So I took the pads off again, went back to the dealer and showed them the pads and exactly what was happening. Since then, the dealer has put a ticket in with Detroit and reported the issue. They ordered me another set of pads, so still waiting to receive them and will inspect when I get them.

Just my two cents on this issue. It has been extremely frustrating, mainly because Ford has been using these same brembos on other cars in the past (2013 GT500) and have no issues with them. I will keep you all posted on how it goes when I receive my next set.

Anyone have more thoughts on this? Thanks guys

Jwod1993

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Just to give you all an update,

Got my 3rd set of replacement pads from Ford. This time I am installing them myself. I've learned that when you get them from the factory, the backing plates on the pads come detached. Brembo includes the copper adhesive with the set of new pads.

Per my speculation before, the previous technicians who had installed the pads had put way too much adhesive on the back, causing it to leak over onto the front side of the pad. This time, I did not put nearly the amount of adhesive on. Waiting for the adhesive to dry and I will install on the car when the weather is clear.

5.0-50A

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Anniversary WW STICK
maybe a sticky piston causing the pad to drag? hopefully just too much glue like you're thinking and this is a done deal. GL!

Jwod1993

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
maybe a sticky piston causing the pad to drag? hopefully just too much glue like you're thinking and this is a done deal. GL!
Yup! That was the issue! When you receive the pads from the factory, you are required to apply the adhesive for the back plates. Just put enough on to hold and everything seems OK! Hope my issues with it are able to help you all out!
Sponsored