OP
OP
NavsENG

NavsENG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT , 66 Track coupe, 66 street car
PowerStop to me has always seemed like knock off Stop Tech.

Just buy Centric slotted/blank rotors with the black hats. They are 100% identical to StopTech as Centric owns and manufactures StopTech products. The part numbers are even the same. I've ran and tracked Centric rotors on every one of my cars and they've never been anything but great.
Losing confidence in braking system is pretty messed up. I really think going to a 2 pc rotor is the only way I will track this car again. Plus the weight / cooling benefits are pretty substantial so I believe it would be worth it.

compprep

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1,1986 SVO, 2020 Ridgeline(SOLD!)
Do you have the brake cooling vent/flaps that go on the A arms like the PP1's have? That may help some. I think Steeda sells them as stand alone items for $30.00.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Damn; that's bad. I'm about to order the PowerStop Z23 brake pads for my Bullitt, for less dust, but can the pad material dislodge from the backing plate, causing a similar loss of braking power??? I understand most brake pads, rotors, etc., are made in China, but like everything, I'm sure some brands demand higher quality materials than other, no? Looked at RockAuto, and PowerStop is the only brand to offer front and rear pads in the 'premium' category. Found Hawks on TireRack, but it's very confusing which ones, and how they compare to stock. And Centrics are made but in the 'daily driver' category. I won't track my car, but don't want to downgrade braking performance that much either. Comments welcome. And glad to hear OP had no injuries or damage due to that failure

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Not one to sic lawyers on people but a rotor failure??? Holy moly those people need to be put out of business. You cant sell stuff like that. That and 47 years of cars, and this is a new one. Believe me, I've heated em so bad the steering wheel practically shook out of my hand, but never, ever, ever broke one. Jeez! Thank God you weren't hurt!

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Stick with OEM if you have a PP1 or PP2...

NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Velocity Mustang GT, 2017 Lexus GX460
Vehicle Showcase
That is the worst part failure I've ever seen... Yeah stay away from made in China stuff, say from a Chinese perspective :headbang::facepalm:
Glad you're ok! That's the most important thing.

NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Velocity Mustang GT, 2017 Lexus GX460
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have the brake cooling vent/flaps that go on the A arms like the PP1's have? That may help some. I think Steeda sells them as stand alone items for $30.00.
Do you have a link for that? Interested!

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yeah, clearly a bad cast.. that’s quite a clean fracture and I’m sure was the result of getting too hot and the metal being too weak.

Good news is you’re ok. IMO American Muscle doesn’t owe you anything (I’m not saying they SHOULDN’T be willing to assist), however since it’s not their product they manufactured, they’re really just the middleman. That being said, I got a bum clutch on my old GT from Late Model Restoration (probably damaged during shipping and not their issue), but a couple of calls later and the new one was on its way. Again, not their product.. but they stepped up.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yeah i forgot to mention this but the stock GT has pretty much non existent brake cooling, i think for round 2 not only should OP spend more on his brake hardware, but the ducting goes a long way. Requires the PP lower control arms as well. I'm sure there's a cheaper aftermarket solution but I've seen it warned on here a couple times about how hot the brakes get. Not saying this experience is normal or justified though.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
PowerStop to me has always seemed like knock off Stop Tech........
Ohhhhh....yeah.....

Actually, I'd never even heard of PowerStop, and Stop Tech is the company I was thinking sold "cost effective" stuff.

Huh.

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
Wow. Glad you are safe!

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Holy poop! Glad your ok and thank you for posting this to make the community aware.

Losing confidence in braking system is pretty messed up. I really think going to a 2 pc rotor is the only way I will track this car again. Plus the weight / cooling benefits are pretty substantial so I believe it would be worth it.
Totally agree. Brakes are such an important part of any performance car especially if you really drive it like it's supposed to be driven.
20200408_173231.jpg

Call up Brian at Steeda and tell them I sent you. They might be able to cut you a deal on some 2 piece rotors.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
That is an egregious failure. They should be bending over backwards for you.