Sponsored

Power window issue - 2016 Convertible

MarkY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB
The rear passenger window on my wife's 2016 convertible won't go all the way up. It looks like it gets caught up on something inside the panel. It stops about an eighth of an inch from the top, but I can pull it the rest of the way up.

Took it to the dealer today and after charging me $160 for diagnosis, they said it was a regulator going bad. Cost of replacement is $1040 due to taking out the backseat and damn near disassembling half the inside of the car.

Two things... this doesn't sound like a regulator going bad, aren't they either good or bad? If it was going bad, why does the window stop at the exact same place every time?

Can anyone shed some light on this? Should I get a second opinion, or go to an independent shop?

Thanks for any help.

Mark
Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Most 15+ convertibles have this issue, mine does. A 5 dollar can of silicone spray lube will solve the issue. Just liberally coat a clean rag with the lube and wipe down the window seals and your windows will close fully. The regulators are torque limiting and the seals are set up too tight from the factory to keep the water out. when the seals start to get dry, the windows drag and will not close fully. By periodically lubing the seals, it frees up the windows and provides a temporary fix. A five dollar can and five minutes of my time every 3 months is worth it to me over a $1000 repair bill that wont fix the issue anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP

MarkY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB
Thanks everyone for the silicone lube tips. This did the trick for my wife's window. Maybe I can get my $160 "diagnosis" fee back from the dealer. They sent me a survey and told me to contact them if I had any issues.

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Thanks everyone for the silicone lube tips. This did the trick for my wife's window. Maybe I can get my $160 "diagnosis" fee back from the dealer. They sent me a survey and told me to contact them if I had any issues.
Always check the forums for a solution BEFORE going to the Stealership!. Hard lesson, but now you know! I love this forum!

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
There’s also a quarter glass reset procedure in this forum somewhere, that’s worth doing with the silicone. The mechanism relearns what it’s supposed to do eg where fully open and fully closed are. Dealers will charge you handsomely to run that 30 second process.
Sponsored