Sponsored

Power Delivery

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
there is a big kick after 3500rpm, after that it become pretty smooth.
Sponsored

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
IMHO the power band is perfect for a daily driver, docile at low speeds but winds up fast and hard when you need it. Able to make the move when you drop down a couple of gears and nail it.
I have had a Honda ST1300 motorcycle for the last 12 years, and the power, torque, rpm range and performance on that bike is very similar to the GT350. So the overall performance was easy to get used to, and another major point that I love about the car.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
To me, it pulls like my supercharged GT500 did.
Yup. Once I hit the torque curve it pulls very much like my '11 GT500 did. It's smoother though.

IMHO the power band is perfect for a daily driver, docile at low speeds but winds up fast and hard when you need it. Able to make the move when you drop down a couple of gears and nail it.
Agree. It's a *****cat when you're tooling around, but when you get serious it's a rocket. Down-shifting to 4th at highway speeds yields effortless, smooth acceleration. It's just wonderful, I've never felt anything like it.

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Gearing is the key....

I have an M5 CP which puts out 650 hp in crank. That car makes 600 ft/lb crank torque at 1500 rpm all the way to 5000.

Then I have this car, which is literally opposite.

Drive them on 2nd gear, at WOT, M5 feels like a literally rocket ship whereas shelby doesnt feel like that.

However....

Drive the shelby at WOT on 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and at 8200 rpm in each gear and you will feel its noticeably faster. Thats where the importance of gearing, gear ratios, and power band comes into play.

For a stop light to stop light driving and daily driveability M5 has much more useful power. But drive them in a race track, and for multiple high rpm gear changes back to back, shelby is amazing.

That being said, my M5 went from 1500 miles/month of DD to about 200, I honestly dont give a shit about the lack of low end torque in shelby its so much fun.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
The way this car puts down power above 3500 is awesome. So satisfying to wind it out but as Firestarter stated, on the road in metro areas there are so few opportunities.

The track is where it's at (road course that is)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Offboost

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
Wow great responses guys!

Power without traction is useless since the tires will go up in smoke been there done that! This car has just the right amount power but as many of you have stated stop light to stop light its hard to use the power legally.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I love this motor, really is a joy to wind out. It has more power than I thought it would. I keep it consistently at 3k or above and I never have a problem with torque. It really doesn't need to go to 8000. Shift at around 6000 to 7000 and it still stays in the meat of the power band. By the seat of the pants the motor is doing its job. Very happy with it.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I agree with all of the above. (There must be a clever internet abbreviation for that). I love being able to actually use WOT in first gear, something I only dreamed of in my Boss and '09 GT500. You can talk about "driver adjustment" all you want, but the reality is previous Mustangs required suspension reengineering and race rubber to put the power down and were still not as fast, let alone as comfortable, as this one.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I agree with all of the above. (There must be a clever internet abbreviation for that). I love being able to actually use WOT in first gear, something I only dreamed of in my Boss and '09 GT500. You can talk about "driver adjustment" all you want, but the reality is previous Mustangs required suspension reengineering and race rubber to put the power down and were still not as fast, let alone as comfortable, as this one.
Here's my dyno compared to a stock coyote (S197 version):
attachment.jpg

You can see that below ~5500 RPM, the two engines are neck and neck, but the Voodoo keeps going to 8000.

That torque jump at 3500 is noticeable, and definitely affects where you want to be if you need to accelerate quickly. I think that is why people say it has poor low-end torque. Rather than a gradual climb like the Coyote, you have a flat portion, then a jump at 3500, then a relatively flat and slow drop to redline. Most cars lose torque more quickly at the top end, so it feels like they are falling flat, but the Voodoo doesn't. It just keeps making you want to wind the engine out.

I typically drive in sport mode on the street, and will put the car in track mode for the track. The stability control in track mode is pretty lenient, to the point where I have not felt it intervene even when I get the car a little sideways. I would turn everything off for AutoX, but haven't had a chance to do one in the GT350 yet.

Been driving my 350Z lately, trying to reach 200,000 miles on it before selling, and what amazes me is how fast the Mustang is in comparison. My Z just seems so gutless now. And that's even when shifting the Mustang at 3K RPM. So yeah, the low end may be weak compared to the peak, but it is still a very quick car.

-T

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
Power feels good to me. Just sold my 620rwhp/534rwtq '15 GT convertible a few weeks ago and I don't miss anything about it. It's nice being able to floor it and hook, and actually not have to worry about if I'll spin when I want to get around someone's grandma on the road.

Enjoying this thing on a daily basis :)
I still have my 15 GT/PP that put down very similar #'s as yours. But when it comes to witch one goes out for a drive,,,, 9 times out of 10 it's the 350. My supercharged 15 is just more an adventure to drive, where it 350 is just so satisfying. :cheers:
Sponsored