Sponsored

Potential for false knock with Vibrant spacers

OrangCrush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Auto 3.55 - X pipe,Roush axleback
I installed catless Texas Speed headers in March then dyno in July which resulted low numbers with 542hp with 3.6 pulley. So I assume from false knock. I installed the Vibrant O2 spacers to keep from getting CEL. So I just got under car and started banging exhaust with rubber mallet and it was rattling. So I just removed the O2 spacers and rattling went away. The little pill you use in the spacer has room to move up and down. What can I use to keep it from moving?
Sponsored

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
I used some high temp RTV inside the spacer to hold the restricter, no issues with false knock.

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Did you actually verify that the spacers were causing false knock? I would think that the exhaust stream would keep the inserts from moving during WOT.

OP
OP

OrangCrush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used some high temp RTV inside the spacer to hold the restricter, no issues with false knock.
Thanks. I will try this. So did you put RTV Inside then the spacer?

OP
OP

OrangCrush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you actually verify that the spacers were causing false knock? I would think that the exhaust stream would keep the inserts from moving during WOT.
I just assumed it could be that since my car made 620hp before the headers.

Sponsored

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
The potential for false knock is the main reason why I took my Steeda 2 point trac brace off my car. No matter how many times I checked the bolts and tightened them down even more it just made noises, especially when cold. I think the tube inserts that act as a bolt sleeve were the main culprit, just sat inside the front frame rails and rattled like crazy! Don't know if it was causing any false knock, but I wasn't taking any chances, plus my car really didn't need that brace anyways now that I am running front skinnies full time.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
OP, have you ever looked at a datalog of a WOT pull? You'd know for sure if the car is pulling timing. However, any type of exhaust rattle is no good!

OP
OP

OrangCrush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No haven’t data logged it. I used some rtv and it fixed the problem with that. I just took it to a muffler shop to raise the Magnflow resonated x pipe because it was scraping in my driveway and now the car rattles when I start it like something’s loose. Checked all around and nothings loose or touching. Could it be the resonator? Didn’t make the noise before getting it raised.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
No haven’t data logged it. I used some rtv and it fixed the problem with that. I just took it to a muffler shop to raise the Magnflow resonated x pipe because it was scraping in my driveway and now the car rattles when I start it like something’s loose. Checked all around and nothings loose or touching. Could it be the resonator? Didn’t make the noise before getting it raised.
You should take it back to the shop and have them check, or jack the car up yourself and take a look. You can bang all along the exhaust with a rubber mallet and listen for where the rattle is coming from.

Also, maybe they left a clamp bolt loose.

OP
OP

OrangCrush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: well on driver side two of pipes from headers were touching so they welded a piece between them so they wouldn’t vibrate against each other. Anyone else have this problem with TSP headers?
Sponsored