Specific MGW Shifter Questions...

bozzy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rdsc.ca
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I promise I searched and read a good chunk of this forum for the answers to these questions.. lol

1. With the push down reverse function, will I lose my reverse camera feature?

2. Does this shifter affect the factory rev matching feature? (Sorry, this is probably a dumb question...)

3. I'm looking at the X-Spec/Flat Stick. It is my understanding that you can only get the flat stick handle in one size. So, is the flat stick handle the same height as the factory shifter? Is it shorter? Besides the height difference, is there any reason to not go with the flat stick handle? I think it looks nicer...

4. I'm torn on doing this, I read so much negative on the MT-82 transmission. It makes me feel like doing this is just putting lipstick on a pig? Obviously lots have done the upgrade but I find myself wondering if its better to just put this time and money into a Tremec down the road instead? I guess what I'm asking, is it worth investing into the MT-82? Is it a good transmission overall with the right upgrades?

Any insights are greatly appreciated...
Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I can answer #1, no you won’t lose back up camera functionality.

#2 I think you are ok on, I have a 18 but a local has a 19 and he got a MGW because he loved how mine shifted and still has rev match. I never asked if he did anything to keep the feature

I thought about going flat stick, I was going to order one since you can get it separate, but I like the look of the shortest stick possible

in my experience, I’ve done the amsoil cocktail, SS braided clutch line, MGW, clutch pedal spring, and still hated the transmission. Biggest POS ever had in a car. I could shift a friends 17 and the guy that has a 19 perfect, but I “don’t know how to shift” on my own. Finally the 3-4 fork went, Ford rebuilt the trans and I installed a mantic, it’s not as good as my friends 1SS 1LE but shifts perfectly fine now. I’ve only taken it to 7500 once since I only have 300 miles on the Mantic and I haven’t used the N2MB WOT box yet but I couldn’t shift over 6200 before. I hate the trans and think of getting rid of the car at times. But after all that it finally shifts like it should.. if I was to do it all over again, I probably would’ve bought the A10 or would’ve swapped trans to a magnum or 6060 or what ever the deal of the day seems to be since it changes weekly on the forums on which is the best to go

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I promise I searched and read a good chunk of this forum for the answers to these questions.. lol

1. With the push down reverse function, will I lose my reverse camera feature?

2. Does this shifter affect the factory rev matching feature? (Sorry, this is probably a dumb question...)

3. I'm looking at the X-Spec/Flat Stick. It is my understanding that you can only get the flat stick handle in one size. So, is the flat stick handle the same height as the factory shifter? Is it shorter? Besides the height difference, is there any reason to not go with the flat stick handle? I think it looks nicer...

4. I'm torn on doing this, I read so much negative on the MT-82 transmission. It makes me feel like doing this is just putting lipstick on a pig? Obviously lots have done the upgrade but I find myself wondering if its better to just put this time and money into a Tremec down the road instead? I guess what I'm asking, is it worth investing into the MT-82? Is it a good transmission overall with the right upgrades?

Any insights are greatly appreciated...
1. you will not lose the reverse camera feature
2. no idea but i doubt it.
3. I think the only reason to not go flat stick is if you want to use a non MGW knob.
4. I dont know when you plan on getting a new transmission, but I think once you finally get an MGW you'll regret not doing it sooner. Plus you could always sell it if you change transmissions. I have an X Spec low Profile with a Raceseng knob an it make driving more fun. Especially when you change the trans oil (BG SS II over here)

OP
OP
bozzy

bozzy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rdsc.ca
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I was able to get a few more questions answered from MGW directly. If anyone was wondering their shifter doesn't affect any features on the 2019MY cars (Digital Dash, REV Matching, Reverse Camera, etc.)

The flat stick option is also exclusively paired with the X-SPEC shifter. They say this combo puts the height at about the same as the OEM shifter, but while also keeping the throw still short enough to make a difference. How much of a difference remains to be seen. This is why I ordered a short handle option as well just to try both. Who knows, I might end up switching back and forth...

I just ordered my setup;
  • 2019 MT-82 Equipped GT - X-SPEC Shifter - Flat Stick Handle (Silver Color) - MGW Logo White Shift Ball (6 Speed Reverse Upper Left)
  • Optional Extra Handle & Ball - Low Profile Handle - MGW Logo White Shift Ball (6 Speed Reverse Upper Left)
  • Optional Adapter – Billet OEM Knob Adapter for Low Profile Handle – Black

Any install tips would be greatly appreciated. Also, since I'll be pulling wrenches in this area soon, any there any other upgrades worth doing at the same time? I was considering the WhiteLine transmission mount bushing as well...

Thanks in advance.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I was able to get a few more questions answered from MGW directly. If anyone was wondering their shifter doesn't affect any features on the 2019MY cars (Digital Dash, REV Matching, Reverse Camera, etc.)

The flat stick option is also exclusively paired with the X-SPEC shifter. They say this combo puts the height at about the same as the OEM shifter, but while also keeping the throw still short enough to make a difference. How much of a difference remains to be seen. This is why I ordered a short handle option as well just to try both. Who knows, I might end up switching back and forth...

I just ordered my setup;
  • 2019 MT-82 Equipped GT - X-SPEC Shifter - Flat Stick Handle (Silver Color) - MGW Logo White Shift Ball (6 Speed Reverse Upper Left)
  • Optional Extra Handle & Ball - Low Profile Handle - MGW Logo White Shift Ball (6 Speed Reverse Upper Left)

Any install tips would be greatly appreciated. Also, since I'll be pulling wrenches in this area soon, any there any other upgrades worth doing at the same time? I was considering the WhiteLine transmission mount bushing as well...

Thanks in advance.
trans fluid is highly recommended. Its like a 1-2 punch

and as for the bushing...the shifter plus fluid is usually enough. The bushing causes a lot of NVH that leads to people taking them out. Everybody has a different NVH tolerance so you may like it, you may not

Sponsored

OP
OP
bozzy

bozzy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rdsc.ca
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
trans fluid is highly recommended. Its like a 1-2 punch

and as for the bushing...the shifter plus fluid is usually enough. The bushing causes a lot of NVH that leads to people taking them out. Everybody has a different NVH tolerance so you may like it, you may not
Definitely will look at doing trans fluid. Is it a pain in the ass to change? I honestly haven't even looked for the drain plug location yet, lol. I heard a lot of people running BG SS II with good results, but I also seen somewhere around here a decent argument that a quality DCT trans fluid is also a good choice... Any truth to this?

As for the trans mount bushing, NVH is somewhat a concern, but my car is not a daily driver either. My main concern was more about taking this flex out of the driveline. I though some flex and give is a good thing...?

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none

I just ordered my setup;

Thanks in advance.
WOW! Someone actually went to the source rather than listen to opinion. See how easy it is to simply inquire to the source?

Watch the videos MGW puts on their website. They are very detailed.

Stop reading all of the whining about the Getrag MT-82. I made that mistake shortly after buying my 13 GT. After putting an MGW in it I never had an issue and never missed a shift at the track. The trans help up to 568 RWHP on DR's. I was leaving at 4500 RPM, not hitting it hard but not babying it either. Unless you simply suck at shifting or you leave at 6000+ at every traffic light on slicks it will do you fine. That said it is a mechanical device and as such all things are prone to failure. No such thing as a sure thing. My advice? Stop looking for problems by reading all of the B-O-O-H-O-O of the minority who have had the misfortune of some bad luck. If I relied on internet advice based on failures people post about I would never own anything. IF you look hard enough you will find someone who has had issues with something.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
I got a used MGW for a really good deal couldn't pass it up. However when assembling it, realized that the sound pad provided by MGW is missing. Will that sound pad make a difference terms in terms of noise coming into the cabin?

Thanks

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I got a used MGW for a really good deal couldn't pass it up. However when assembling it, realized that the sound pad provided by MGW is missing. Will that sound pad make a difference terms in terms of noise coming into the cabin?

Thanks
Call MGW. They are very supportive even with second hand buyers like you and me. Best company to model when it comes to providing customer service and product quality.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
Call MGW. They are very supportive even with second hand buyers like you and me. Best company to model when it comes to providing customer service and product quality.
Yeah I'll call them tomorrow. But i totally agree regarding their customer service; nothing but topnotch and amazing. They've responded to my every email super quick. I sent them a bunch of emails regarding the handles, thread sizes, knobs etc.
Sponsored