Possibly stripped oil filter adapter/housing threads

redinfinity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francis
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
I have a 2016 ecoboost (non-premium). When I was doing my oil change the other day, my new filter wouldn't screw onto the threads smoothly. I attempted it a few times to make sure I wasn't threading it on crooked, even trying the old oil filter again which also had a hard time screwing back on. I'm thinking the threads on the filter adapter/housing are stripped from a previous oil change at the dealer. I had to use a wrench to get the gasket to even make contact. Not too much effort to where I was yanking at it to get on but just to add a little more leverage compared to just my hand.

I'm keeping an eye on it for now, so far so good, no leaks. However, if say my oil filter union thread IS stripped, what's my best option? Is the union thread itself replacable like on other cars, or can I replace the oil filter adapter? Should I look into using a die to repair the thread?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP

redinfinity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francis
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Update: Looks like there's a slight leak on the filter as I see a small drip of oil that reached the bottom of the filter. I looked up the part and it looks like the filter adapter is just held onto the block by a few bolts and only the oil pressure sensor is on it?

Can I just order a new adapter and gasket, remove this one and install a new one? It doesn't look like the thread union part itself is removable but the adapter itself is cheap.

Any input appreciated, thanks!

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Yes, the adapter should be an easy swap just as you describe. Was the old filter hard to remove after it was loosened? Your new filter may have had defective threads........

OP
OP

redinfinity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francis
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Yes, the adapter should be an easy swap just as you describe. Was the old filter hard to remove after it was loosened? Your new filter may have had defective threads........
No. In fact the old filter was very loose and leaking as well. So I'm suspecting it got damaged in the previous oil service at the dealer.

Both the old and new oil filter were hard to put on the adapter, I did this to check that it wasn't just the new filter.

I'll look into ordering the parts, thank you for your input!

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I get the time thing, but this is why I won't let anybody do my oil change. Yeah, I've got better things to do that taking a shower in hot oil, but I know it's done right and not by some ASE flunkee (e.g. quick lube dude working in the pit) who used an impact wrench on the oil drain plug and the oil filter wrench (To tighten) the filter.

Not sure what the casting looks like for the factory oil filter mounting plate, but my past car had a lousy flow path. If there are sharp turns in it, you could do what I did and port it some to help with oil flow.

I wouldn't be surprised if said ASE flunkee put a wrong thread pitch filter on it.
Sponsored