Sponsored

Possible Door Corrosion

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 & 16 GT; 20 GT500 CFTP; 21 Mach 1
Hi All,

I was giving the Mach 1 a deep detailing today and noticed what appears to be a small area of bubbling under the paint of the passenger door by the stripe. I regularly clean this car after track events and am 100% sure this was not here a month ago.

Full disclaimer - as I just discovered this, I have not yet taken it in for a warranty claim, so Ford has not had an opportunity to view it and respond. I am planning to take it in sometime next week and will report on the outcome.

I deeply inspected the rest of the car and didn't see anything else like this...but based on my past experience with my 2011 Mustang I am not looking forward to dealing with it. Ford refused to repair any of the corrosion that developed on my 2011 which looked exactly like this when it first started, so I am hoping for a better outcome given the car is under 4000 miles and 5 months old. Nonetheless, it is a bit alarming to already be seeing this.

This car is number 937 for reference. It is 100% garage kept and has seen rain twice. Those with a early Mach 1 and 2021 Mustang in general may want to keep an eye out for this since it is very subtle and will get worse over time if it is indeed corrosion. Apologies in advance...the grey makes it a bit hard to see in photo:

20210807_175212.jpg
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If you are referring to the Ford Aluminum panel corrosion issues:
Starting in 2016, Ford revised the 5/60 Paint and Corrosion Warranty to state that metal perforation on aluminum panels is not a prerequisite and that if any such corrosion is present, the body panel must be replaced (not repaired).

As far as the doors, I don’t think the door skins on the S550 are aluminum UNLESS I’m totally wrong…. Maybe that has changed at some point? I thought the door skins and shells on the S550 were still steel.

—-

It’s hard to tell from your image if that is in fact corrosion, but to me it looks like there was dirt or debris trapped under the paint when it was sprayed. Why something like that was not caught by QC is beyond me…. Especially going on now 6 years of the S550 rolling off the same assembly line . . .

OP
OP
raidernixon

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are referring to the Ford Aluminum panel corrosion issues:
Starting in 2016, Ford revised the 5/60 Paint and Corrosion Warranty to state that metal perforation on aluminum panels is not a prerequisite and that if any such corrosion is present, the body panel must be replaced (not repaired).

As far as the doors, I don’t think the door skins on the S550 are aluminum UNLESS I’m totally wrong…. Maybe that has changed at some point? I thought the door skins and shells on the S550 were still steel.

—-

It’s hard to tell from your image if that is in fact corrosion, but to me it looks like there was dirt or debris trapped under the paint when it was sprayed. Why something like that was not caught by QC is beyond me…. Especially going on now 6 years of the S550 rolling off the same assembly line . . .
That's good to hear about the revised warranty wording - thanks.

The points you bring up are the ones that have me scratching my head. I am pretty sure the door is steel, magnets stick to it (not as strong as on the trunk though). But, I am quite certain these bubbles were not here last time I cleaned it a month ago...Which is why I am suspecting corrosion, but I didn't think steel would have this problem.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you finding any other such issues under the decal on that door, or along the leading edges of any other panels?

Sometimes there are what are called paint pops that can happen too. It occurs after the paint has been applied and there will be small air bubbles that will pop (or some that don’t) and leave a similar artifact on the surface.

I’m just posting the below as an FYI for any needed future reference regarding paint defects. YOUR defect is certainly covered under warranty, as it’s not a user or road inflicted issue - it’s a manufacturing QC defect issue.

Attached is Ford Warrantable vs Non-Warrantable paint guide. The Ford paint is covered under the 5/60 Paint And Corrosion Warranty outlined in your Mustang Owner's Manual.

Attachments

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
It doesn’t totally surprise me that QC (or lack thereof) would miss something like that. Your point about the s550 going on 6 years is the most shocking for me thinking about OP’s potential issue. It’s not like there’s guys in a booth with spray guns trying to frantically paint cars as they come down the line. With the level of automation involved I don’t understand how the paint on these cars can be so inconsistent and substandard. I don’t expect a white glove inspection on mass produced fords but dirt under the paint? Bubbling after 5 months? WTF!

Sponsored

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
It doesn’t totally surprise me that QC (or lack thereof) would miss something like that. Your point about the s550 going on 6 years is the most shocking for me thinking about OP’s potential issue. It’s not like there’s guys in a booth with spray guns trying to frantically paint cars as they come down the line. With the level of automation involved I don’t understand how the paint on these cars can be so inconsistent and substandard. I don’t expect a white glove inspection on mass produced fords but dirt under the paint? Bubbling after 5 months? WTF!
I noticed a similar issue recently on my hood. My warranty just expired a couple months ago. My car has also seen rain maybe 1 time and has 5,000 miles on it.

885C6495-96CB-4431-BFB5-AA34D3A4E3E4.jpeg

D3B746F5-6D7C-4EAE-BEC2-BD6BC5A08485.jpeg

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
I noticed a similar issue recently on my hood. My warranty just expired a couple months ago. My car has also seen rain maybe 1 time and has 5,000 miles on it.

885C6495-96CB-4431-BFB5-AA34D3A4E3E4.jpeg

D3B746F5-6D7C-4EAE-BEC2-BD6BC5A08485.jpeg
Did you see @Cobra Jet post earlier? Looks like there’s some protection for corrosion that would hopefully apply in your situation?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Some things never change.

You should see the factory grind marks under the paint on the top rear of the passenger rear quarter on my '15. It drove me crazy enough that I had to "fix" it by installing a GT350TP spoiler so I couldn't see it with the trunk closed.

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
Did you see @Cobra Jet post earlier? Looks like there’s some protection for corrosion that would hopefully apply in your situation?
I reached out to Ford and put a case in. Obviously the damage didn’t happen overnight and the warranty just expired. So hopefully they will help with the situation

I’ve had cases where GM still helped out as a customer courtesy when my GM was just out of warranty a couple months.

Especially when the car only has 5,000 miles and has only seen rain 1 time.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
What happened???

Sponsored
OP
OP
raidernixon

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What happened???
So I got the car in today to get looked at. The dealer confirmed it is some kind of contamination/corrosion issue under the paint and documented it. They are going to take care of it thankfully. They won't start the work until I bring it back in a few weeks...it's going with us for a road trip to the Mach 1 track attack in North Carolina that's scheduled next week 🙂

I'll post an update on what the ultimate finding/cause is if that's ever determined and what the repairs will entail.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Good luck. I’m sure they’ll make it right for you.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I got the car in today to get looked at. The dealer confirmed it is some kind of contamination/corrosion issue under the paint and documented it. They are going to take care of it thankfully. They won't start the work until I bring it back in a few weeks...it's going with us for a road trip to the Mach 1 track attack in North Carolina that's scheduled next week 🙂

I'll post an update on what the ultimate finding/cause is if that's ever determined and what the repairs will entail.
Good to hear that it's going to be addressed.

Good luck and have fun at the Track attack event! Be sure to post up your experience!

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Have you considered pausing the job just for a period of time ?

If it’s contamination it won’t (shouldn’t ?) get any worse.

If they paint it, there’s a chance that other issues may be introduced and then there’s the stress associated with repeat dealer visits etc etc.

It’s a tough one and only you can decide what’s best for you … :like:

WD :like:

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Are you finding any other such issues under the decal on that door, or along the leading edges of any other panels?

Sometimes there are what are called paint pops that can happen too. It occurs after the paint has been applied and there will be small air bubbles that will pop (or some that don’t) and leave a similar artifact on the surface.

I’m just posting the below as an FYI for any needed future reference regarding paint defects. YOUR defect is certainly covered under warranty, as it’s not a user or road inflicted issue - it’s a manufacturing QC defect issue.

Attached is Ford Warrantable vs Non-Warrantable paint guide. The Ford paint is covered under the 5/60 Paint And Corrosion Warranty outlined in your Mustang Owner's Manual.

Attachments
Sorry to barge in, but you seem to have good knowledge on this topic,
Is this picture an example of a paint pop or extra paint drip that was left and clear coated over? I recently noticed this "pimple" above the 5.0 emblem and it's perfectly circular and hard to the touch. I have no idea how to tell if this is corrosion related or just a paint defect ei. overspray or whatever. I'm sure my dealership would be in the same boat if I can't determine it's corrosion. Any advice or insight on this?

Inked20220316_173450_LI.jpg
Sponsored