Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
While I am not a doctor, i did work for over ten years working in labs doing academic research in cell bio, molecular bio, and biochemistry.

As soon as the covid news came about and authorities said it is not airborne, I was dubious. And yes, the viral particles are so tiny (most virus are this tiny) that the pores size of a face mask will not be able to trap it.

But that being said, I've been telling people that the masks also work on the properties of adhesion and cohesion.

The mesh of the fibers cause the virus to run through the "maze" of the fibers as it goes through your mask. While static charges and simple adhesion (attraction between unlike molecules) and cohesion (between like molecules) cannot stop large things, when a particle is as small as a virus, its surface area to volume ratio is very large, meaning any teeny amount of adhesion and cohesion will make them stick to absurface and stay there. This is part of the reason why simply rinsing your hands was not recommended as a procedure to wash them.

This is also why ome should frequently wash their masks or replace them. The disposable non n95 masks really should be disposed after a day's use.

So are masks effective? I think yes as it isn't just working on the concept of a sieve. While I do take my mask off when outside, I do put it back on when people come near (out of courtesy). But I do wear it when I am in enclosed spaces.

Hello; Back before I had the vaccine I only wore a mask in stores. Never when outside or when by myself.

About the effeciency of the masks. The virus particles are super tiny and can pass thru most masks that were available to the general public. It is just a size matters sort of thing. At best the masks would stop sneeze droplets or cough droplets.
Once it became known that the virus had an airborne nature in addition it was clear enough the masks were not helping. The facts are coming out about this now.

I was active on a tropical fish forum at the early times of the outbreak. Some things did not make sense to me. I posted that I figured the virus was airborne in addition to being in droplets. For some reason it took the authorities a long time to admit to this. The airborne factor will turn out to be a main reason sending infected folks back into nursing homes was a poor move. Being air borne the virus could linger and move thru out the entire building, especially with several infected. Being in an isolated room would not help if the air system went to all rooms.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Could the adhesion/cohesion effects also capture your Freedom? Are these forces strong enough to keep 1st amendment rights from entering your body? Could everyone wearing masks lead to Communism?

Until these questions are answered, I'm REFUSING to wear one :crackup:
If masks made you more desirable to the opposite sex, all guys would be masked up for sure. Or if the virus shrunk your penis, guys would wear like 60 masks if they even left the house. As a gamer dealing with RNG (random number generator) for loot drops often, a percentage of a percentage means I'll never get it lol.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Claiming masks don't work is just flat out wrong. Period. Full stop. Not up for debate, not just my opinion, not some government cover up....but facts.

How many people got the flu this year? I can figuratively count them on one hand. Masks are so effective that two strains of the flu seem to have disappeared.

Masks work, claiming otherwise shows painful bias.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; There is a distinction to be made about the masks used for virus which do not have an aerosol (airborne) component compared to a virus which do have an aerosol component.
If the virus is ejected only on the larger droplets from a cough or sneeze, a proper mask can help to a greater degree.
For a virus with an air borne component the mask is very much less effective.

Then there is the type of mask to be considered.

Some of the paper masks were next to useless for the covid19 virus which is the virus under discussion. That masks may work better for some other virus such a flu, is a worthy topic for discussion but is a distraction in a covid discussion.

I do not need to wear a mask around someone infected with HIV or the rabies virus. Those do not have a sneeze/cough droplet transmission. Different virus have different paths of transmission.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Claiming masks don't work is just flat out wrong. Period. Full stop. Not up for debate, not just my opinion, not some government cover up....but facts.

How many people got the flu this year? I can figuratively count them on one hand. Masks are so effective that two strains of the flu seem to have disappeared.

Masks work, claiming otherwise shows painful bias.
I agree masks do work and so does washing your damn hands. Also, staying home when you feel sick. Sooooooo many of my co workers fail to wash their hands and always come in sick, I hate them for it! I usually only get sick once every 2 or 3 years and when it happens, it's from one of my co workers. My wife usually doesn't get me sick...because she bathes and washes her hands like a norma...I guess it's not the normal anymore. What do you expect from our current society though?

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello; There is a distinction to be made about the masks used for virus which do not have an aerosol (airborne) component compared to a virus which do have an aerosol component.
If the virus is ejected only on the larger droplets from a cough or sneeze, a proper mask can help to a greater degree.

Some of the paper masks were next to useless for the covid19 virus which is the virus under discussion. That masks may work better for some other virus such a flu, is a worthy topic for discussion but is a distraction in a covid discussion.

I do not need to wear a mask around someone infected with HIV or the rabies virus. Those do not have a sneeze/cough droplet transmission. Different virus have different paths of transmission.
Nonsense.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6

You're already discounting the anti mask thing when you confirm it helps with non covid viruses. Even if it didn't do anything to help with the current pandemic it's still an overall positive. As said, flu and other virus rates have dropped drastically. The other thing of course is that we're staying at home but traffic at least in my area throws that's really far out the window. With these gas prices and the unemployment situation, nobody can tell me these people are just out driving to drive. Also, if that was the case I would hope they would maybe get better at it. Now I'm not saying "quit bitching and wear your damn mask", rather there's too much info on both sides both true and false and it makes it a complete waste of energy to argue about. Just follow the rules the same way you stop at a red light and wear your seat belt.

Sponsored
OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
You're already discounting the anti mask thing when you confirm it helps with non covid viruses. Even if it didn't do anything to help with the current pandemic it's still an overall positive. As said, flu and other virus rates have dropped drastically. The other thing of course is that we're staying at home but traffic at least in my area throws that's really far out the window. With these gas prices and the unemployment situation, nobody can tell me these people are just out driving to drive. Also, if that was the case I would hope they would maybe get better at it. Now I'm not saying "quit bitching and wear your damn mask", rather there's too much info on both sides both true and false and it makes it a complete waste of energy to argue about. Just follow the rules the same way you stop at a red light and wear your seat belt.
Hello; Just follow the rules does not cut it. Red lights and stop signs are things worked out with our elected leaders over time. There is an agreed upon benefit to these things. The mask mandates came from a very different place and in a very different manner. People appointed and not elected were making up the rules for one thing.

I can think of reasons other than mask wearing for the decline in diagnosed flu cases.

Again the topic is covid 19 virus and not the flu or other virus. We were not mandated to wear a mask for the flu. The mandates were often way to broad. Having people wear them inside a car when alone is just too much. Wearing a mask outside in the sun light is just too much.
I was not an antimasker. I wore one inside stores. I put one on just before entering a store and took it off when outside. Some mandates had people wearing masks outside for no good reason.
I wear a seat belt. Started in 1964. My buddy got his grandpaws new Galaxie and we went for a drive. Well he wrecked us into some trees. Had the first seatbelt I had ever worn on. No injury. I even added some seat belts to my fathers 1955 Pontiac on my own.

This whole reaction to the covid pandemic is interesting. It may prove to be a study about what not to do when all is said and done. The masks bit it perhaps the smaller part of the things done wrong. There were sensible approached to a mask, but some authorities went too far.
Saw on the news that maybe up to 400 billion dollars of money for laid off workers has been stolen.

Here is what I plan to do. I just happened to have five N95 masks on hand when the pandemic started. I used them for a while. Once I figured out the virus has an airborne component I knew even the good N95 could pass some virus. Better than a thin paper mask to be sure. The fit was better for one thing. If enough time passes before they become scarce again I plan to stock up on some good N95 type masks again. In the past I used them when doing dusty jobs. I will keep a good supply of alcohol and peroxide on hand.

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
I’ve yet to see one mask deposited into a hazmat container.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello; Just follow the rules does not cut it. Red lights and stop signs are things worked out with our elected leaders over time. There is an agreed upon benefit to these things. The mask mandates came from a very different place and in a very different manner. People appointed and not elected were making up the rules for one thing.

I can think of reasons other than mask wearing for the decline in diagnosed flu cases.

Again the topic is covid 19 virus and not the flu or other virus. We were not mandated to wear a mask for the flu. The mandates were often way to broad. Having people wear them inside a car when alone is just too much. Wearing a mask outside in the sun light is just too much.
I was not an antimasker. I wore one inside stores. I put one on just before entering a store and took it off when outside. Some mandates had people wearing masks outside for no good reason.
I wear a seat belt. Started in 1964. My buddy got his grandpaws new Galaxie and we went for a drive. Well he wrecked us into some trees. Had the first seatbelt I had ever worn on. No injury. I even added some seat belts to my fathers 1955 Pontiac on my own.

This whole reaction to the covid pandemic is interesting. It may prove to be a study about what not to do when all is said and done. The masks bit it perhaps the smaller part of the things done wrong. There were sensible approached to a mask, but some authorities went too far.
Saw on the news that maybe up to 400 billion dollars of money for laid off workers has been stolen.

Here is what I plan to do. I just happened to have five N95 masks on hand when the pandemic started. I used them for a while. Once I figured out the virus has an airborne component I knew even the good N95 could pass some virus. Better than a thin paper mask to be sure. The fit was better for one thing. If enough time passes before they become scarce again I plan to stock up on some good N95 type masks again. In the past I used them when doing dusty jobs. I will keep a good supply of alcohol and peroxide on hand.
YOU are just too much. Wearing a mask is a trivial thing that saves lives. Again, this is not is dispute. You may not think so in your mind, but that doesn't make your thoughts correct. Your attitude is beyond selfish once again.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Not in dispute...are you kidding me???

go ahead and type in “Mask Study“ to your chosen search engine, ill wait...

...there is a HUGE dispute over the mask issue :facepalm:
Sponsored