Sponsored

Positive battery cable corroded off

ddaarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush RS2
Both the post and cable were badly covered. I merely wiggled the positive cable and it detached itself. I can't secure the cable like factory. I have a few hours in the morning to figure a way to secure the cable to the battery, any suggestions?
IMG_20190802_011126.jpg
IMG_20190802_011145.jpg
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Take the car to Ford, that’s definitely a valid warranty issue...

Holy crap... that’s a ton of corrosion in so little time.

OP
OP

ddaarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush RS2
I went to an auto parts store and bought a battery terminal clamp with a clamp for a large gauge cable, $5.

The original battery clamp just crumbled under any tools. I had to pry it off with my hands. I used vinegar to clean up the mess.

Always remove the negative first.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Replace the battery, its leaking or wicking acid up causing that.

DGM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrell
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Had this issue on my 2016. Terminal snapped off and the post actually separated from the battery. I read somewhere that the battery’s were notorious for bad post welds. Ford replaced battery and positive terminal under warranty.

WarmFZI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Convertible
My son just had this happen to his 2018 GT. Drove around all day. Later that evening went to start the car and got clicking and flashing lights. When he took the battery cover off the postivie terminal was smoking. I'm guessing the voltage was valid for the ECU to try to start. There was so little cable left that the current capacity was too low to start, but instead heated up and was melting the red cover. I went over to give him a lift for a new battery and after lossening the positive therminal, a slight lift on the positive cable and it came apart. Thankfully a few months left on the warranty.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Had an issue w this on other car. I used Coca Cola and a brush. It looked brand new, rinsed with water after.

But didn’t eat my cable off, just was acid all over the terminal. Google said it worked and it did

WarmFZI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Convertible
Had an issue w this on other car. I used Coca Cola and a brush. It looked brand new, rinsed with water after.

But didn’t eat my cable off, just was acid all over the terminal. Google said it worked and it did
If we had known there was a corrosion issue maybe a year ago, we could have tried the preventative measures. I'll add battery inspection to my routine.

Sponsored

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
Ford has replacement positive and negative cable ends (and an SSM for it) if you want to keep it somewhat original. For the positive you have to get a bit creative as it won't hold both the cable to the stater and the BJB and the red cover will not fit.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Ford has replacement positive and negative cable ends (and an SSM for it) if you want to keep it somewhat original. For the positive you have to get a bit creative as it won't hold both the cable to the stater and the BJB and the red cover will not fit.
Attached is SSM 48123 regarding the battery cable corrosion issues affecting 2012-2019 Ford products.

Attachments

ironsurvivor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium/401a/10r80
My son just had this happen to his 2018 GT. Drove around all day. Later that evening went to start the car and got clicking and flashing lights. When he took the battery cover off the postivie terminal was smoking. I'm guessing the voltage was valid for the ECU to try to start. There was so little cable left that the current capacity was too low to start, but instead heated up and was melting the red cover. I went over to give him a lift for a new battery and after lossening the positive therminal, a slight lift on the positive cable and it came apart. Thankfully a few months left on the warranty.
were they able to replace the battery terminal end or did you have to have a new harness entirely put in? This has just happened to me.

oliver305

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
ford
Constantly look for corrosion and dirt on your battery terminals. It is essential to clean them if you see that they have corroded and gathered dirt. The finest cleaning chemicals for severely corroded battery terminals are white vinegar and baking soda. Avoid using apple cider vinegar for this task, though.

Kleiss1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6- speed
Is this a do it yourself or a dealer fix? My positive is really bad. Thanks
Sponsored