Sponsored

Pops, Clicks, & Knocks — Easy Fixes (Sometimes)

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Sharing for the greater good.

For the third time since installing my front swaybar and aftermarket endlinks, the front end of my S550 was broadcasting a significant knocking noise.

The fix? — tighten the swaybar endlink bolts (again) at the strut. This time though, I used an exterior “star” locking washer. Problem solved for $0.30 each at Ace Hardware.

Clicking noises at the first engagement of the brakes, the bane of my existence for years and on various sports cars, boiled down once again to a simple spray of brake cleaner on the brake pad locking tab(s). All clean, noise gone...until they get dirty again or wear greatly.

The alarmist in me thought my strut mounts may have have been loose (easy fix) or had seen their last day (would not have been good...only 3 months old at this point), but choosing the simplest solution paid off.

All and all, if you read this in the near or distant future, the noises you’re hearing probably aren’t that bad. Just invest in a few washers and some brake cleaner and you’re all good. Have a good weekend,

— Mike
Sponsored

ArgentumS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, A10, PP1, Recaros, 07 4Runner V8
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for this! I've had my car lowered and installed Steeda end links and have knocking at slow speeds when going either straight or turning. Waiting on a new low profile jack to arrive so I can tighten/torque the bolts, but I think I'll get those star washers first. I don't think the installer torqued the bolts to the Steeda specified number, either. Do you know the size of the washer?

OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for this! I've had my car lowered and installed Steeda end links and have knocking at slow speeds when going either straight or turning. Waiting on a new low profile jack to arrive so I can tighten/torque the bolts, but I think I'll get those star washers first. I don't think the installer torqued the bolts to the Steeda specified number, either. Do you know the size of the washer?
1/2” — external toothed lock washers (slang is “star” washer). Yep, your noise symptoms sound like end link knock; should be a quick fix.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
The washer fix seems to indicate, lateral movement. I would think the noises would be from a vertical movement. As the suspension loads and unloads.

That's interesting, where did you install the washers just curious?

OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
The washer fix seems to indicate, lateral movement. I would think the noises would be from a vertical movement. As the suspension loads and unloads.

That's interesting, where did you install the washers just curious?
I installed the washers on the exterior side of the strut housing, in between the strut and the end link nut. Teeth pointing to the nut.

I never had noises from the end link / sway bar junction, so I left that as-is for now.
Sponsored