Sponsored

PMAS question

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
How long do you think IAT will remain high while at WOT? I think this great big intake will suck all the hot air out in a matter of seconds. All that you are experimenting with appears to be over kill. The snorkel still appears to be a choking point because it limits how much hair can be pulled through the original opening by pmas. One thing I do agree with is opening up the honey comes for stock grill.

A snorkel does not limit flow if you can squeeze more mass flow through it. Basically the higher the pressure on one side (car grill / snorkel entrance) of the opening and the lower pressure on the other side (inside PMAS heatshield), the more mass flow of air you will flow through the orifice (PMAS heatshield opening).

So it is possible to improve the flow but it does mean having the grill opened up as building the air pressure by channelling the air.

The fact I've enlarged the orifice and added two more orifices in the PMAS heatshield flow will be improved.

End of the day its my time to waste and its all fun in modding, fact that it cost nothing to make some holes and run some ducting. :)

When I go to the dyno, I shall do two runs:

- Hood open and all ducting removed, maximum flow potential
- Hood closed and ducting back in place, if I am wrong and happy to admit so and flow is reduced it will show on the dyno as less power.

I shall post up my results. :)

Stang Racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 301A
No idea. Maybe they want to race in traffic?
It really helps at the drag strip when waiting your turn to run and during burn out before staging. On a 12 second pass you would be passed the finish before the AIT get down so going in at the start cooler and dropping temps as fast as possible= lower ET. I sold my Steeda no tune CAI because of high AITs made for slower ETs I have lower ETs with stock box. I do like to race but not ready for a tune yet maybe I will try the PMAS:thumbsup:

newkidnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 5.0
@Gibbo205

I received the scoop and snorkel a while back and haven't taken the time to install them. I'm running into a snag. The Velossa has a piece that extends from the bottom (?) and doesn't seem to fit well with the snorkel. Am I completely off, or does yours have the same design?

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is a piece that goes between the two which is already installed in your car from factory. ;)

newkidnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 5.0

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I am running no snorkel with my PMAS so far, but that allows it to pull air from the fender and from outside... flow. I opened up my box on the front more and took a dremel to double the grill openings. The biggest difference I made in temperature creep when in traffic was to close up the opening on the top of the intake tube. It is likely sucking a lot of hot air from that location when left open. I think that is a must if one is concerned about IAT. I just know that my car pulls harder and smoother than with the stock box so color me happy.

OP
OP

Popo5ohh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
Am i missing something? The gt350 snorkel end does not fit the factory inlet opening from the grille

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
anyone else with a PMAS...(no tune version)i started noticing when i shut off my car im getting like a low pitched whistle. it happens like 1 sec after i hit the start/stop button and lasts maybe a second or two. id like to think its just the last bit of air being sucked thru the filter before shutting off but im not sure and just curious if anyone else is experiencing this or not.

another side note i feel that when i get to like 4000 RPM it seems like i hit a spot where i feel the engine is choking like its not gettting enough air. if i go WOT, i feel the car pull hard up to about 4000-4500 rpm and then it feels like it stops pulling as hard until i get thru that range and then i can feel it breathe again. im not sure if im explaining correctly.

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
anyone else with a PMAS...(no tune version)i started noticing when i shut off my car im getting like a low pitched whistle. it happens like 1 sec after i hit the start/stop button and lasts maybe a second or two. id like to think its just the last bit of air being sucked thru the filter before shutting off but im not sure and just curious if anyone else is experiencing this or not.

another side note i feel that when i get to like 4000 RPM it seems like i hit a spot where i feel the engine is choking like its not gettting enough air. if i go WOT, i feel the car pull hard up to about 4000-4500 rpm and then it feels like it stops pulling as hard until i get thru that range and then i can feel it breathe again. im not sure if im explaining correctly.

I only ever ran tune required version but it pulls damn hard from 1500 right upto 7700rpm and with Lund tune my car made a further 55BHP and 60lb/ft with power gains throughout the entire rev range of at least 40BHP and 40lb/ft everywhere.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase

The only thing I have heard on my Mustang was in the garage, and it was a slight whistle. When I put in a custom partition on the tube I have not heard it further. I did hear a similar thing on my Honda when it had an open element filter. Sometimes it would make a "paaa" sound immediately on shutdown. Maybe a valve opening while the piston was stroking?

As far as the choking at 4k? Heck no, but I noticed my engine pulls smoother than stock throughout the rpm range so maybe you are not experiencing as peaky of performance with the new intake tube. It should NOT be falling on its face.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
The only thing I have heard on my Mustang was in the garage, and it was a slight whistle. When I put in a custom partition on the tube I have not heard it further. I did hear a similar thing on my Honda when it had an open element filter. Sometimes it would make a "paaa" sound immediately on shutdown. Maybe a valve opening while the piston was stroking?

As far as the choking at 4k? Heck no, but I noticed my engine pulls smoother than stock throughout the rpm range so maybe you are not experiencing as peaky of performance with the new intake tube. It should NOT be falling on its face.
its not falling on its face but it just doesnt seem to pull as hard. i really dont know how to explain it. it could just be in my head. as far as the whistle thing goes im not too concerned. i know my jeep did it with an airaid so im attributing it to the aftermarket intake filter i was just wondering if other people were getting the same thing and maybe see if anyone felt like it wasnt breathing right thru the rpm range

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
its not falling on its face but it just doesnt seem to pull as hard. i really dont know how to explain it. it could just be in my head. as far as the whistle thing goes im not too concerned. i know my jeep did it with an airaid so im attributing it to the aftermarket intake filter i was just wondering if other people were getting the same thing and maybe see if anyone felt like it wasnt breathing right thru the rpm range
A whistle can also be an air leak, make sure all your connections on the intake tube are properly clicked in and sealing correctly, make sure you get some data logs sent to your tuner, better to be safe than sorry as you do not want un-metered air entering the engine.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
i dont have it tuned yet. trying to decide if i wanna tune or mgw next. it only seems to whistle this way when shutting off. i dont hear anything abnormal on idle or while driving just sounds like a normal aftermarket intake noise while driving/idling. ive checked all the connections and what not, everything seems to be tight and seated properly. im too paranoid about something going wrong so ive checked and rechecked. should have seen me putting on my BMR springs ha. took me so much longer because i torqued everything to spec and then went back thru each piece and checked torque again to be safe.
Sponsored