Sponsored

Plasti-dip for mirror caps

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Hey guys. I am planning on a black roof wrap and black spoiler for my car. I really want to get my mirror caps blacked out to match the black roof and spoiler. I was quoted $150 ($75 each) to wrap the mirror caps. This seems expensive for what it is so I have been thinking about doing plast-dip instead.

How long could I expect the plasti-dip to hold up on the mirror caps? I don't really want to be re-doing this all the time but if it would last 2 years+ it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

I could also paint the caps but I like the idea of being able to retain the stock color underneath in case I want to go back to VB or I sell the car and the next owner doesn't like the black accents. I looked at new OEM caps from Ford to get painted black but they would cost $150 plus paint.

If I could find someone with some used, take off caps I would buy them and paint them black and just have two sets. There are some in the classifieds right now for base mirrors but I need caps for a GT premium with the turn signal...

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
It wouldn't match the wrap you're getting unless it's matte or satin so take that into consideration as well. Also loses the appearance over time, but I had no major issues with it on my wheels for a year or so.

Another option to consider is mirror covers and then using a proper spray paint on those instead. For some reason, the carbon fiber options are pretty cheap on ebay but a plain black isn't.

86pagt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Look on eBay l, I picked up my OEM black mirror caps for around $60 shipped. Quick polish and they were flawless.

SterlingStangMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Magnetic Ecoboost
Yes, even with a glossifier the plastidip will still come out too matte. I did plastidip my wheels on my 2011 Mustang and then painted over the plastidip with a lacquer gunmetal color spray and clear and they looked awesome. They were on the care for over two years and held up nice except for a couple road rashes which will not be a problem with mirror caps. The plastidip will still peel off if you want to.

OP
OP
MNstang

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Look on eBay l, I picked up my OEM black mirror caps for around $60 shipped. Quick polish and they were flawless.
This would be my preferred option if I can find some. I'll check it out...

Sponsored

OP
OP
MNstang

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Yes, even with a glossifier the plastidip will still come out too matte. I did plastidip my wheels on my 2011 Mustang and then painted over the plastidip with a lacquer gunmetal color spray and clear and they looked awesome. They were on the care for over two years and held up nice except for a couple road rashes which will not be a problem with mirror caps. The plastidip will still peel off if you want to.
This sounds like a possibility. I haven't heard of painting over the covers - would a regular spray paint stick to the plasti-dip or would it need to be a lacquer?

SterlingStangMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Magnetic Ecoboost
I just used regular plastidip, let it dry and then shot the lacquer over the dip like you would with a primer. After a few coats started with three more clear and done. When peeling it is a lot harder than just dip but will peel.

OP
OP
MNstang

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Does anyone know which 2018+ models have the turn signal lights on the mirrors? My car does but I wasn't sure if it's a GT thing or a trim level thing...

D Mac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Dupli-Color has a better glossy product out now.... Lays way smoother than PD.
Worth a test can...

Sponsored

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
I was in the exact same situation as you a month or 2 back when I decided I wanted to wrap my roof gloss black and then get some accents for the hood vents and the mirrors. They quoted me a super high price for both (like 200 for the mirrors and similar for the vents), so I said screw that and decided to try PD.

I never got around to wrapping the roof yet, but I did try the PD black and then used the glossifier over it and it does look good, except it's still not very glossy I would say. It looks like a semi shiny matte, but that's okay to me. I also used turtle ice spray wax over the spray every now and then and it makes the texture a lot better and gives it a nice clean look.

I ended up finding an OEM set of shadow black hood vents on eBay and decided to buy that and replace the PD'd vents and they look much better imo because its a true paint gloss obviously.

I would love to actually find some OEM shadow black mirror caps for the same reason as it would look much better and match my gloss black wheels, but I can't seem to ever find anything on eBay for the OEM mirror caps (I have a GT premium as well).

If I end up doing the respray in the future when it dulls out, I may try the suggestion of the Dupli-Color if I haven't been able to find the OEM shadow black caps by that time.

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Here's how mine ended up coming out (and this is before I replaced the hood vents with oem black ones). As you can see, not very glossy.

Day250GT.jpg

OP
OP
MNstang

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Here's how mine ended up coming out (and this is before I replaced the hood vents with oem black ones). As you can see, not very glossy.

Day250GT.jpg
Nice looking car 👍🏻 Thanks for sharing. I'm not sure what to do with the mirrors. I might just leave them alone. I really don't think the matte plasti dip would look that bad for the mirrors with the other gloss accents. I might try the dupli color gloss version but the Amazon reviews aren't that great...
Sponsored