Sponsored

Pirelli Tires Cracked

Ziplock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Comp Orange
So my 2016 GT PP is currently parked as the 3 original tires (1 replaced due to puncture) have developed cracks in the tread area. Only 9,900 miles, and now the Pirellis are shot but not because of the short tread life, surprisingly. The car is parked during winter. To me and the dealer, this issue is not normal and should be covered under the warranty as I am still under the 3/36. My new car warranty guide states that tire defects will be covered 100% if under 12,000 miles during the 3/36 new car warranty. Ford has told the dealer that tires are only covered for 12 months but no one can tell me where in my manual it states that (hint: it's not there).

I am hoping that someone has some good advice as this is ridiculous. I have dealt with the terrible transmission, avoided AC failure, and the rest of the issues that plague these cars only to have the terrible Pirelli tires crack. I know Pirelli will be no use, they will claim the car was driven when it was under 45F out.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

003.JPG
001.JPG
002.JPG
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Tire warranties with new cars are often a separate document.

The cracking may be from the winter temps. I read Ford doesn't build cars with summer performance tires in the coldest months because the tires can be damaged while waiting to be delivered. Don't know if that is true or just internet BS.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I'm curious about this posting. Is there anything that can be done to cold cracking? My car will be stored for the winter in an unheated garage. Temperatures will only be a few degrees above ambient and in Canada it will see double digits below freezing. Do I need to bring my wheels in-doors and leave the car on jack stands? Sounds extreme. I have Michelin Pilots but still wondering.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
As the OP has already stated, the warranty is not ambiguous on this, it should be covered...my 2018 warranty states that "the New Vehicle Limited Warranty covers tire defects in factory supplied material or workmanship for 100% of labor costs and on a pro rata adjustment basis for parts. (See the reimbursement schedule below). For vehicles within the New Vehicle Limited Warranty time in service and mileage coverage period, defective tires will be replaced on a pro rata adjustment basis according to the following mileage-based Reimbursement Schedule: MILES DRIVEN PERCENT OF PARTS COVERED BY FORD 1-12,000 100% 12,001-24,000 60% 24,001-36,000 30%

Good luck though, dealers are weasels with this kind of thing.

OP
OP

Ziplock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Comp Orange
Not much of an update, but the dealer will contact Pirelli on Monday, still doubt they will be any help.

Sponsored

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Swapped mine over yesterday and they are both exactly the same on the front. Car had 7100 miles on it and just over 5mm tread left.

local driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Camaro SS
I had P-Zero summer tires on a car that was stored in the winter in a garage that got below 45 deg, but not below freezing. Also I drove on these tires occasionally in temperatures below 32 degrees, before salt season.

I had the tires on the car for about 5 years and about 40,000 miles. There were never any cracks.

So something is wrong with your tires.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Swapped mine over yesterday and they are both exactly the same on the front. Car had 7100 miles on it and just over 5mm tread left.
Exactly the same meaning yours also has cracks like the OP?

Can you post up pics?

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Taken from tire rack:

"Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° Fahrenheit (7° Celsius), so the P Zero, like all summer tires, is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

Use is also classified as storing the car (also known as supporting the vehicles weight on the tire) if temps fall below 45 degrees.

Id guarantee they see pictures of that and they deny helping you. Also, most tire warranties on factory equipped tires are only a 12 month, 12k mile coverage, and normally they include a supplemental tire warranty packet, separate from the vehicle warranty packet.

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I feel that Michelin is more thorough with publishing their "rules" as far as tire usage goes.

Also taken from tire rack:

"Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced."

Personally, I follow what michelin makes public about their tires across the board, Michelin or not, just a safer bet.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Taken from tire rack:

"Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° Fahrenheit (7° Celsius), so the P Zero, like all summer tires, is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

Use is also classified as storing the car (also known as supporting the vehicles weight on the tire) if temps fall below 45 degrees.
So, raise car off the tires or remove them and maybe drop pressure while off the ground.

OP
OP

Ziplock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Comp Orange
I am not holding out for Ford or Pirelli to help. Purchased a set of takeoff 2018 PP tires/wheels, but that doesn't mean I won't pursue this still. My BBB complaint (attempt to contact someone higher than the call center) has gone no where. Response referenced the 12 months or 12,000 miles the dealer told me, but I still cannot find that in the owners manual, warranty guide, or tire warranty guide. The tire warranty guide states the same excerpt from the new car warranty guide that tire defects are covered under the new car warranty, no mention of 12 months.

I did find an interesting bid in the owner's manual regarding summer tires that goes further than not driving in cold weather. If temps drop below 19F, you must remove the tires and bring then indoors until temps rise again, even though the car was parked. Interesting considering I see plenty of Mustangs on dealer lots in the Ohio snow and winter.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Honestly, I think it’s total BS that any vehicle manufacturer is producing a MASS produced vehicle with “Summer Only” tires and can be sold in Geographic Regions that experience extreme seasonal weather conditions and temps below 50*.

If “Summer Only” tires can’t handle temps below 50*, then the vehicle manufacturer shouldn’t be installing said tires on vehicles sold in such regions - rather these same vehicles should be equipped with an All Season equivalent performance tire when built... sure easier said than done, considering a vehicle can be shipped/sold anywhere - but what about giving the Buyer the option to opt out of a Summer Only and into an equivalent All Season at time of purchase?

Who and what Buyer is going to remove wheels from their daily driver if it gets cold outside and store them in a climate controlled room until the cold weather passes? LMAO... sure.

armsdealer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue Mustang GT Premium PP2
Who and what Buyer is going to remove wheels from their daily driver if it gets cold outside and store them in a climate controlled room until the cold weather passes? LMAO... sure.
What dealer is going to do that with inventory when it gets cold?

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I just replaced my front tires on my 2017 GT PP two weeks ago for the same reason. I ended up buying new wheels and figured in the meantime, I would just swap my original tires over to them until I could save up some more money to get the tires I wanted. I removed the tires form the car myself and took everything to the tire shop. As I was loading everything in my truck, I noticed my two front tires looked just like your pictures, my rear tires were fine. Got to the tire shop and they said the tires were junk.

My GT has a build date of June of 2016 and I bought the car in August of 2017, it had just under 4,300 miles on it at the time. I live in Las Vegas, NV, so we may have a month or so where there are lows are below 45 degrees. My car is kept in the garage, so I can't imagine this was caused by cold temps, but maybe. I just ended up buying two more P-Zeros in the rear size, as I ended up buying a squared setup for wheels and figured I might as well run a squared setup for tires. Plus, two tires were much cheaper then having to buy four tires.

I did do a little online research and did find this seemed to be a common problem around 2016. A few people I found contacted Pirelli, and they basically said Pirelli told them they needed to ship the tires (on their own dime) to them for inspection. If they found the tires to be defective, they would then give them a pro-rated credit on a new set. I didn't really look much into it because I figured my tires were now close to three years old, so I am guessing Pirelli would do nothing.

Doug
Sponsored