Pilot AS4 vs ContiExtremeContact DWS

Darkstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Oxford White.
I just put on Conti Extreme Contact DWS06's in 255/40R19. Max inflation number is 51psi. But the Extreme Contact Sports (275/35R20) that came on my Roush say the same 51 max. But the recommendation on the sticker inside the driver side door says 33 psi which is what I've been running them at. Can you tell me where you are running your DSW's? Many Thanks!
I keep them at 32-34 psi.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I just put on Conti Extreme Contact DWS06's in 255/40R19. Max inflation number is 51psi. But the Extreme Contact Sports (275/35R20) that came on my Roush say the same 51 max. But the recommendation on the sticker inside the driver side door says 33 psi which is what I've been running them at. Can you tell me where you are running your DSW's? Many Thanks!
That 51 psi on the tire sidewall is a tire design number that has no idea what kind of car the tire might be used on. Forget you ever saw it.

If your inflation pressure sticker calls for 33 psi all around, that's at least a good place to start. That said, the car might begin to feel a little more nimble with a couple more psi up front, and if you rarely carry back seat passengers or lots of heavy stuff in the trunk you could drop the rear pressure a psi or so. Just don't stagger the pressures too much, a 4 psi difference should be more than enough to feel.

Norm

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
That 51 psi on the tire sidewall is a tire design number that has no idea what kind of car the tire might be used on. Forget you ever saw it.

If your inflation pressure sticker calls for 33 psi all around, that's at least a good place to start. That said, the car might begin to feel a little more nimble with a couple more psi up front, and if you rarely carry back seat passengers or lots of heavy stuff in the trunk you could drop the rear pressure a psi or so. Just don't stagger the pressures too much, a 4 psi difference should be more than enough to feel.

Norm
Thanks just wasn’t sure because the sticker was based on 275/35r20s it came with and I was moving to 255/40r19s so thought I should seek some advice. Thanks all.

0164D49B-CAE1-4D90-B495-37A1A17FECBC.jpeg

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Thanks just wasn’t sure because the sticker was based on 275/35r20s it came with and I was moving to 255/40r19s so thought I should seek some advice. Thanks all.

0164D49B-CAE1-4D90-B495-37A1A17FECBC.jpeg
Well . . . with that change in tire size a small correction is indicated based on load vs inflation pressure tables - roughly 2 psi higher than what your sticker pressure is tied to, or 35-ish psi for a start. Tweak the pressures to suit your ride and handling preferences from there. I'm assuming that you're running 255/40-19s all around.

The explanation can get a bit lengthy and involves both the load index number (in the neighborhood of 100) and whether the tire is SL Standard Load), XL (eXtra Load), or LL (Light Load). SL and XL load index numbers are not directly comparable.

Norm

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
had Conti's before and they were a decent tire but for the noise. That ruined the experience.

Sponsored

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
Well . . . with that change in tire size a small correction is indicated based on load vs inflation pressure tables - roughly 2 psi higher than what your sticker pressure is tied to, or 35-ish psi for a start. Tweak the pressures to suit your ride and handling preferences from there. I'm assuming that you're running 255/40-19s all around.

The explanation can get a bit lengthy and involves both the load index number (in the neighborhood of 100) and whether the tire is SL Standard Load), XL (eXtra Load), or LL (Light Load). SL and XL load index numbers are not directly comparable.

Norm
Yes, it is a square setup. I've got them around 35 now. I'll see how that works out and tweak from there. Many Thanks!

GuardEcoBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 16 Ecoboost
I had the Conti dws06 on my car, just replaced them with dws06 plus. I LOVED the regular dws06. They were amazing, dry or wet. Especially wet, I did some stupid stuff in the wet and it always stuck unless I was just ignorant with the throttle. I didnt think they were any noisier than the stock pzero. Ride great too. They like a little more air pressure too, about 34 psi. I just put the dws06 plus on last night, only about 50 miles on them now.

Mr981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost coupe
Looking forward to that. Thanks
A/S 4 200 mile update--relative to the GY F1 A/S OE tires:

Noise --very quiet at highway speeds, on good asphalt roads.
Handling--very good grip at low temps , turn in is right now, center on feel is excellent.
Ride--significantly firmer than GY, with the temps swings lately I'll have to keep an eye on tire pressures.

Overall, it feels like a real HP tire rather than the GY.
Next up is an alignment--this car's alignment specs were never touched and the tires wore evenly for 35K.
What's a good setting for even tire wear and spirited street driving?
thanks for any help.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
I replaced my OE P-zero Nero tires with a set of DWS06 last fall. This is the second car I've had them on and I'll do it again. The sidewalls are a little soft compared to a summer tire, but they aren't summer tires. What they are is a good all season tire and a damn good one for the money. They are good in all kinds of weather, including the snowstorms we had this winter (north Jersey) and heavy rain/standing water. A big plus is that they are one of the quietest tires I've ever had over the 40 or so years I've been driving. I can't explain the couple people who found them loud, maybe they're thinking of a different Conti product (some are pretty loud) or maybe they're new to performance oriented A/S tires which tend to be louder than a touring A/S tire.
I haven't had the AS4, I understand it is closer to a summer tire but still pretty good as an A/S. If I planned to run them year round I might have given them a shot, but I'm planning to add a set of wider, summer tires to the mix soon.

OP
OP
Stam616

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
Thank s for everyone’s help here. I use daily this and other information to get tires. So I got New Tires for “Miss Maggie” Did my research, got Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons for a great price and installed by Bj’s Tire Center. They did a great job as well. The research was correct. Very quiet tires, quieter than my Goodyear Eagle F-1’s AS that came with the car. They lasted six years so I’m not complaining. I took her on twisty roads and the car handles much better now, really corners hard when pressed without any loss of control or adhesion. On the Thruway at high speeds the car was stable and sure footed. All in all, very satisfied with the dry performance. If what my research showed about wet performance is also true, I’ll be extremely satisfied.

00C5FF93-4293-488E-8905-23029A7B249E.jpeg
Sponsored