Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hidevolution.com
First Name
Spartan
Vehicle(s)
2023 Nissan Z
I will be upgrading my rims to the Handling pack rims next month and the question is, which tires to go with?

I never track my car but I do spirited driving occasionally and I do care a lot about 0-60 acceleration time.

Haven't even tried that once yet as I am still in the break-in period so I don't know how the Pilot Sport 4S do with putting the power down.

Now I did hear that the Pilot Sport Cup 2s last for about 10,000 KMS vs 20,000 KMS for other Pilot Sport 4S (correct me if I'm wrong).

With that said, shall I bother with the Pilot Sport Cup 2's or just put the same Pilot Sport 4S that I currently have?

Mind you, I live in Dubai and the weather is 48C during summer and 16C in Winter
Sponsored

OP
OP
superspartan

superspartan

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hidevolution.com
First Name
Spartan
Vehicle(s)
2023 Nissan Z
If you've got the money for a set of tires every 6-8K miles, then SC2. I don't have that kind of cash flow, so I vote Pilot Sports. I'm on Dunlops only because I got a screaming deal on them.
Thanks for your response, I just added a poll.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
It's been a long time since I've been out that way. I forgot how often it rains there. Based on you saying you won't track the car, I would go with the PS4. The Cup2 is a track tire, not a drag tire...some people get that confused. I run the Nitto 555 rii drag tire matched with the Nitto g2 as my summer tires. The rii's get about the same mileage as those Cup2's but the rii's are made for putting down the power AND tolerating moderate rain. Back to your choices... I would choose the Pilot Sport 4S.....again this is based on you not planning to track the car.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
I agree with M2incorp on the 4S's and since it's Dubai maybe you can buy 20 sets and just have fun?

Sponsored

OP
OP
superspartan

superspartan

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hidevolution.com
First Name
Spartan
Vehicle(s)
2023 Nissan Z
I agree with M2incorp on the 4S's and since it's Dubai maybe you can buy 20 sets and just have fun?
LOL yeah I live in Dubai but it doesn't rain money dude, it's the most expensive city in the world. Don't get fooled by what you see on TV/the media. People live pay-check to pay-check here.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
LOL yeah I live in Dubai but it doesn't rain money dude, it's the most expensive city in the world. Don't get fooled by what you see on TV/the media. People live pay-check to pay-check here.
haha like the whole world round! But I have a buddy Rahul, who worked there a long time. He kept trying to get me to meet him there to hang out with his friend whose dad was an Oil minister. The pics of his place (palace I mean) and cars were something else. Yeah Rahul would say "he will let us borrow a Mercedes or a Land Rover.." then go for desert race, LOL. Too bad the air fare is like $5000 and 2 days to get there.

My feeling is there's a class way above then everyone else..

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Not sure I understand the simple choice of one vs. the other. They are completely different tires that bear no relationship to each other. One is designed for the track and the other for the street. I replaced the Cup 2’s with 4s’s when I got my 2019 GT350, simply because I won’t be tracking the car. There was no evaluating one vs. the other.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Even for tracking I would choose the 4S simply because they are good enough and will last a lot longer. They even cost less. They will work great on track. I tracked my GT350 with Pilot SS tires and they were perfect IMO for a combo street/track car. I believe the 4S is very similar to the Pilot SS.

To me the only reason to buy Cup 2 is more bragging rights or you have more money than you know what to do with.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I think the OP may not have been aware of the different purposes between the two tires, thus my response.

Not sure I understand the simple choice of one vs. the other. They are completely different tires that bear no relationship to each other. One is designed for the track and the other for the street. I replaced the Cup 2’s with 4s’s when I got my 2019 GT350, simply because I won’t be tracking the car. There was no evaluating one vs. the other.

Sponsored

1emglenn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eugene
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 A10 Roush phase 2
I had the 4's on for about 4000 miles. The rears were already over half worn. I then put a roush phase 2 on the car and 10 inch rims front and 11 rear. I am now running cup 2's with 295/35/19 on front and 305/35/19 rear. The car also has coil-overs and beefed up sway bars plus a few other suspension mods.
The cup 2's are much better at road grip than the 4's (car drives like it is on rails) but the ride is much harsher and you will get an increase in road noise. You stated that you aren't going to track the car. That being the case I believe you would be much happier with the 4's.

One last thing, I live in the Mojave desert and you stated summer 48C that is same here in July and August. You also said 16C in the winter. That is our December and January.

Last edited:
OP
OP
superspartan

superspartan

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hidevolution.com
First Name
Spartan
Vehicle(s)
2023 Nissan Z
I think the OP may not have been aware of the different purposes between the two tires, thus my response.
Correct, because when I searched this topic on Google. I found similar questions from Porsche and Corvette Forums but they mostly talked about the longevity of the tires and that the Pilot Sport Cup 2s have slightly better grip but did not discuss the purpose specifically.

@tobaccokid Not sure what's bothering you so much if one asks a question. That's the whole purpose of a discussion forum.

MLO 351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I did read you were looking at 30 series tyres in another M1 thread. Just a suggestion that whatever tyres you settle on 35 series in 305/315 rear will keep your speedo accurate.
For speedo accuracy you will need a rear tyre diameter close to the original 275/40/19 rear tyres.

This link may help: https://tiresize.com/comparison/

OP
OP
superspartan

superspartan

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hidevolution.com
First Name
Spartan
Vehicle(s)
2023 Nissan Z
I did read you were looking at 30 series tyres in another M1 thread. Just a suggestion that whatever tyres you settle on 35 series in 305/315 rear will keep your speedo accurate.
For speedo accuracy you will need a rear tyre diameter close to the original 275/40/19 rear tyres.

This link may help: https://tiresize.com/comparison/
I was gonna go with these which I thought are what the factory Mach 1 with the handling pack come with?

Front: 305/30/R19

Rear: 315/30/R19
Sponsored