Sponsored

Picked up my 2018 Mustang GT in Royal Crimson!

Ghostrealm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Triple Yellow Mustang Convertible Fully Loaded with GT body package, 2002,Black WS6 Trans am Ram Air (winter car) First car 2000 Laser Red Mustang GT
is it me or does the 18 look like the 2018 Miata
2016-mazda-mx-5-parked.jpg

OP
OP

entaiiie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' GT
Awesome color! Reminds me a lot of the "Brickyard" color on my 350Z.

I get lots of compliments, and I am sure you will as well.

attachment.jpg

-T
I am a former 350z owner as well. Mine was LeMans sunset. I am familiar with brickyard and agree they both look similar!

Sponsored

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
Damn that is one good looking ride you got there. I wasn't sure how Royal Crimson would look, but after seeing real world pictures it looks pretty damn good.

roverXE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Can't wait to see Royal Crimson paired with the Black Accent Package. I'm leaning toward going this direction, unless the Bullitt rumors materialize and I'm more compelled. If anyone comes across a RC with the BAP, let's see it!
that's what i picked! these pics make me even happier i went with the crimson

sure someone else will post that combo first as i haven't got a date yet on mine

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hey all -

Yesterday, I picked up my 2018 Mustang. Just wanted to share a little media and info on it!

It is a 2018 GT, 401a, performance package, magneride, active exhaust, 6MT, in Royal Crimson.

as you can imagine, I've only owned it for a couple of days and it may be a little hard to hide the new-car pride and bias. as a former mustang owner (2012 GT PP equivalent), and someone that has owned ~10 various performance cars in every configuration you can imagine, I have pretty high expectations that need to be met from my cars.

exhaust: I cannot believe how loud and aggressive they made this car. I am typically a guy who modifies his car to have a nice and aggressive exhaust note. Some cars I've just done downpipes, catbacks etc.. my corvette had headers, and a full 3" catback. The sound and tone of this car sits right in the middle of the pack from what I've experienced, with the added bonus that I can toggle it to be quiet if needed :). I am afraid of making it any louder, it's just gnarly as it sits. in a lot of pictures and videos I have not liked the way the exhaust tips look, but in person, I am warming up to them more. they don't like as 'thin' or as small as I had imagined them from the media I've seen. I thought they'd be tucked in more as well, but they sit at a nice exit point on the rear valance. I went through a tunnel earlier today and I could not wipe the shit eating grin off of my face for a while after, it made me gitty. that is the sound I had hoped for.

revised mt82: I had a 2012 Mustang GT for a couple of years so that is my comparison point. the gates are further spaced apart, but not in a bad way. the shifting is way more precise and accurate, it just firmly pegs right in to each gear in a smooth and concise manner, it's very satisfying. the throw length feels nice and proper to me, I don't wish it were any shorter. the clutch is noticeably heavier and requires a bit more effort to push down, but it's not bad. I can 'feel' the engagement point easier.

gearing: with the 3.73s I was honestly concerned. I felt like 1st gear was nearly impossible to put the power down in my 2012. I was wanting 3.55s because of that. the new gearing is pretty well set. 1st gear does go by quickly but you get a little more room in 1st gear. paired with stickier tires and a great suspension setup and the car feels amazingly predictable and easy to apply the power down in 1st gear.

LCD gauge cluster: I am conflicted on this. I think it is really cool. it impresses everyone that sees it. it looks and feels very futuristic, and the customization options are fun. I think at the end of the day it will be a thing that is not looked at often enough once we get used to the car, which makes the cost hard to justify. the added interior improvements make the package a slightly easier pill to swallow I guess.

color: I am in love with Royal Crimson. It looks very different based on angle, lighting conditions, etc. at night time you almost think it's a black car until you catch a light on it. when it's cloudy it almost has a black cherry/deep crimson hue. I've honestly not caught it in direct sunlight yet. a very nice looking color all around though, for a more subtle finish it is attracting a lot of attention.

coyote v3.0: I am still breaking it in so it's really hard to give feedback. I can at least say that the new fuel injection system is NOT audible to me and I was concerned about that. so far it seems to have gobs of power and I can't wait to run it through a few gears up to that high redline.

engine bay aesthetics: the flying saucer engine cover is *not* as awful as I had feared it would be. you can actually see more of the intake runners than the media I've seen portrays. it still looks pretty tidy and beefy under the hood. I still think the 11-14's and 15-17's look better in the engine bay, however.

magneride: damned impressive. very smooth. it's making me feel overly confident closer to the limit. I think this will be the first car where I don't modify the suspension. I need more time with this and better weather conditions to truly feel it out, but first impressions are impressive.

400a audio without the sub: it sounds just alright. I am not a big audio guy, but I came from a car with fender audio and a little sub, and this sounds noticeably less substantial and a little more hollow. it's fine for what it is, but if you're an audio fanatic I don't think you'll be satisfied with this. I am guessing the shaker pro config with the sub sounds much better.

seats: the back bolster is decent, but I wish the bottom leg bolster were more substantial. they do not hold me well enough in the tighter turns. I would heavily suggest recaros if you enjoy cornering. they are incredibly comfortable though and I appreciate how adjustable they are.

decklid panel: what is this panel of shit made out of it? I removed a dealer badge from it and then sprayed some quick detailer on it and wiped it with a brand new, soft and plush microfiber towel, and it put fine scratches in that spot already. bummer.

brakes: goodness, these brakes paired with the new michelin tires stop so incredibly well. I've not had the opportunity to really test these out thoroughly nor run them to a higher temp, but initial feeling is amazingly good and impressive.

tires: these things are GREAT. I can't believe that 275s can put the power down this predictably. my corvette with wider mich pilot super sports (315s) could not do what these are doing, granted that car had a lot more low end torque. remember that these are a SUMMER tire and we're quickly descending into the temps where these things are worthless :). I will be damned glad to have them come spring time however.

panel gaps: I am big on the small details, and I do not feel that the gapping on my car is inadequate anywhere. I have seen some horror stories on some of the s550s and was prepared for the worst, but I am quite pleased. they are not perfect, but I have not seen a gap that wasn't at least acceptable. 7/10 - 9/10 depending on where you look.

I've not really had a chance to fiddle with the infotainment stuff or interior customizations a whole lot yet. Work is keeping me busy.

Here are a few pics and a video of a cold start of the car. Happy to capture some more stuff if people want to request anything.

cold start:

2018-Mustang-GT-Royal-Crimson-1.jpg

2018-Mustang-GT-Royal-Crimson-2.jpg

2018-Mustang-GT-Royal-Crimson-3.jpg
[MENTION=32317]entaiiie[/MENTION]

Great write up and good luck w/ the 18!

Can you add any thoughts about the new headlights and driving lights (fog lights)? Both the headlights and driving lights were revamped; I was curious to know if the now very small driving lights are even effective at all when compared to the prior 15-17 models.

Thx!

Last edited:

Sponsored

BluFlash5x8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 5.0 LX, 2012 GT500, 13' GT500, 13 & 14 5.0...
All the weight adding option younslapped on it, pushing it near 3950 lbs. ugh. I hope you don't plan to run it against a Cam SS with stick, in a straight line, you'll get smoked. The few magazines that have tested it, and th crazy overly high hp numbers are just that, crazy, and wrong. Trust me, these new 5.0's are ok, but, way to much more weight yet again added, and weak, dull, dim tri-bar LED DRL's, just ruin it. Dealer PDI failed to get the chaulk off the rear tire too. Remember it's fuel system is DI & PI. And, so there are not come,aunts a out having a hard time getting into gear or reverse, in the morning or when engine is totally cold, let the car idle for at least 5-6 minutes till oil temp comes up at least 3 needle widths before taking off in the morning. The whole issue with gears and grinding on the car from 2011-2017 is from driv RS just jumping in and putting it in gear first thing in the am after a 5 second warm up. That's bad. The fluids are designed to work at operating temps, not cold, and that's why grinding in the gears will occur. And don't blast it up over 2500 rpm till oil is at least half warmed up. Then you should never have a problem. Oh, and don't use engine braking and when slowing down, put the trans in neutral and use the brakes for slowing to a stop at a light. And leave trans in neutral, don't ride the clutch at lights.

Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
My understanding between fog light and driving light is only the pattern of the light, not the color. Once you have the type of light pattern you want, then you can choose the color your prefer.

I read a post earlier this week where someone was trying to correct someone else but it was regarding the light color. Meaning amber color are fog lights and white color bulbs are driving lights. I know amber is ideal for fog with a fog light pattern. For a driving light pattern, I'd prefer white since the beam is longer and narrow.

Anywho....back on topic. OP, I'm a sucker for Ruby Red in PP but Crimson is a strong contender too now. Nice choice.

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
Congrats, the car looks great. I had a Crimson Black Nissan that was very similar in color and it also received a ton of compliments. The color would look almost black on overcast days but on sunny days the Crimson and red flake would really pop.
The big issue I had was fighting the persistent (black car) swirl marks that became very annoying. Love the color but not enough to slave over another one.:)

39Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Terlingua
I been sending messages to FORD for almost 20 years to bring back the Royal Maroon from the 69 Mustangs which look great and on these new bodies the color is even better than I imagined.

I am stumped because I am ordering a 2018 Mustang GT in Lightning Blue but now its 50/50 with this.

How about a 2019 Mach 1 in Royal Crimson?

BluFlash5x8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 5.0 LX, 2012 GT500, 13' GT500, 13 & 14 5.0...
Get some shots of the color in sun.
Sponsored