Sponsored

PBD vs AED automatic 16 GT shifting characteristics questions

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I have a 16 Auto Gt that's all stock. I already have a Sct X4 tuner. So Lund is not an option. I am sure both tuners can give about the same minimal power increase. But what I am looking for is better transmission characteristics. I don't do any drag racing but like sporty backroads. The rev up that it does as it's downshifting into a turn is annoying. I'm hoping and it looks like these tuners can reduce that.

Also I am looking for the throttle response to be improved a little too. Both claim to improve performance but in particular AED said he doesn't mess with throttle parameters.

Any chance did anyone have both tuners and can compare or at least comment on the characteristics I mention?
Sponsored

Mdtaylorjr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I would contact each of the tuners with your questions and have them answer directly. Also I can recommend Luis Ortiz as a tuner as well. He tunes on the x4 and my initial tune is pretty close to right car runs great. I just need to find time to data log it and see if he can fine tune and improve anything.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I have a 16 Auto Gt that's all stock. I already have a Sct X4 tuner. So Lund is not an option. I am sure both tuners can give about the same minimal power increase. But what I am looking for is better transmission characteristics. I don't do any drag racing but like sporty backroads. The rev up that it does as it's downshifting into a turn is annoying. I'm hoping and it looks like these tuners can reduce that.

Also I am looking for the throttle response to be improved a little too. Both claim to improve performance but in particular AED said he doesn't mess with throttle parameters.

Any chance did anyone have both tuners and can compare or at least comment on the characteristics I mention?
Shaun at AED is brilliant on this platform. Both performance and service was always solid. The flare on the 4-5 shift I'd get on stock tune was resolved with his base tune, and of course just got stronger going long tubes and e. If I were to do another NA tuned Coyote it'd be with him again (last check he wouldn't tune FI on 18+ without very specific parameters).

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Rob cals the 6R80 to be aggressive (It's not ridiculously aggressive) in "D" mode, which I don't care for. Shaun tunes the "S" mode on kill, and keeps "D" normal (with raised shift points obviously) Rob's cal is a littler smoother during normal driving. Shauns "S" cal has serious shift pressures and will hammer your TC and intermediate shaft, so they would definitely need upgrading. I switch from about 5 different tunes depending what I am doing with the car.

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Thanks for the advice above. I did contact both and get pretty much a generic answer of "it will run a lot better". And of course that is very subjective and what is awesome for one is crappy for another person. They both do say they can remove the rev up that is annoying.

Cory, Interesting comments. It looks like you are running some serious HP compared to what I will have. Do you think the Trans tuning you have would be tuned the same for my stock HP numbers. Or do you think you essentially have the standard trans tune from them that everyone gets.

The "Kill" mode on Shaun's is a little concerning. I usually drive in "S" mode for the better throttle response. But then I don't want "D" mode to be too much from Rob either for just going out with the family too. I can see I will end up over time trying both. Shaun did reply that the they do not do custom drive feel. So I don't know if that means he won't adjust shift pressures if too much for me. And believe it or not, the preloaded tune in the SCT X4 isn't too bad either. Right now I have VMP and the Rev up is still there and the up shifts are pretty soft/lazy.

Boy I miss the the support I got from Lito. That guy did so many little changes to make the feel exactly like I wanted on my 05. Well as good as it could be anyway.

Sponsored

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
I know its a slightly different animal, but I've had AED and PBD tunes on my 20 with the A10. I prefer the PBD trans tuning in my car. Not that there was anything really wrong with the AED tune. It just seems for daily driving, the PBD one feels a little smoother. I only changed tuners as I have some mods Shaun wasn't able to tune so I made the switch to PBD.

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Well I went with PBD. The base tune was a little concerning because it felt soft power wise. He had me do datalogs which VMP does not need me too do. Once he sent the final tune it felt much stronger. Maybe just throttle tables but pulls very strong at all throttle settings. No disappointment here!

But so far the trans in sport might be a little too firm for me. Small chirp into 3rd with a 60%ish throttle run. Part throttle is lightning quick shifts with a little extra jolt. Not sure but the drive mode felt too mellow though. I'll give it some time but sounds like they will adjust if I need. I just can't get over how much better the torque feels.

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
What made you want to switch from VMP?
I got the VMP tune about 2 months ago and felt it was great, especially compared to stock. But the more I drove it I was looking for a better Transmission action mostly. At first I liked the high rev up before downshifts in sport but then it became annoying as I just wanted to drive sporty smoothly. It would upset the car a little. I still have the embarrassing base floaty suspension yet. Also the upshifts are really pretty soft. The power seemed ok but maybe just a little soft too.

I then for the heck of it I put the SCT X4 preloaded 93 tune in. Honestly I liked it better. The downshifting is smoother with very minimum rev up. The shift schedule seems pretty refined and the shift pressures were firmer. Power even seemed stronger. I have asked VMP if they can change the shift pressures on Monday. I didn't here back yet but I did say I would try and get them a datalog.

Now with PBD I feel the tune is too aggressive transmission wise. The Drive mode seems pretty good for family driving around but I tried sport into work today and its just too much. It shifts quickly and jolting into second as about half way across the intersections and from second to third the same. Makes me prepare for the shift instead of look forward to it. Downshifts seem great though. Probably awesome for the drag strip.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I got the VMP tune about 2 months ago and felt it was great, especially compared to stock. But the more I drove it I was looking for a better Transmission action mostly. At first I liked the high rev up before downshifts in sport but then it became annoying as I just wanted to drive sporty smoothly. It would upset the car a little. I still have the embarrassing base floaty suspension yet. Also the upshifts are really pretty soft. The power seemed ok but maybe just a little soft too.

I then for the heck of it I put the SCT X4 preloaded 93 tune in. Honestly I liked it better. The downshifting is smoother with very minimum rev up. The shift schedule seems pretty refined and the shift pressures were firmer. Power even seemed stronger. I have asked VMP if they can change the shift pressures on Monday. I didn't here back yet but I did say I would try and get them a datalog.

Now with PBD I feel the tune is too aggressive transmission wise. The Drive mode seems pretty good for family driving around but I tried sport into work today and its just too much. It shifts quickly and jolting into second as about half way across the intersections and from second to third the same. Makes me prepare for the shift instead of look forward to it. Downshifts seem great though. Probably awesome for the drag strip.
My tune files have all options open by request. I can change shift pressures by gear from 0-25% reduction. At 0, a shift to 3rd at 90mph will lay down 15' of R compound rubber...

Sponsored
OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
My tune files have all options open by request. I can change shift pressures by gear from 0-25% reduction. At 0, a shift to 3rd at 90mph will lay down 15' of R compound rubber...
This is very good to hear. I was afraid they would not open those parameters up. I will contact them today to hopefully open up the options for me to fine tune.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
This is very good to hear. I was afraid they would not open those parameters up. I will contact them today to hopefully open up the options for me to fine tune.
You’re paying them. If they refuse, tell them to eat crow.

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
You’re paying them. If they refuse, tell them to eat crow.
Yeah I understand but was concerned they lock us out so we don't mess up their tune then come back after them if something goes wrong. My Lito tune on my 05 left everything open and I fine tuned the trans pressures to my liking. Well as good as 5r55 can get anyway.

Now I assume if I change pressure it will change for drive and sport. Because Drive pressures seem good just the sport is too much.

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Well within about 2 hours PBD, Trevor, already sent me an updated firmness reduced tune AND unlocked the parameters for me to fine tune. Incredible customer support and I'm sure they are plenty busy right now.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning

Lund Racing or Palm Beach Dyno should be able to take care of you on the shift points. AED does make a great tune as well but they only tune cars which are stock or intake only. Give me a call at 1.561.753.8105 and I can answer any tuning questions you may have. Thank you.
Sponsored