Sponsored

Anyone else have whipple cal surging and hesitation issues?

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
I have a 2020 PP2 car and just got a gen 5 whipple stage 2 kit installed. I am experiencing some very strong surging/bucking once in a while. Plus, when cruising at lower rpm's (2,500 to 3,500'ish) it feels like the fuel is cutting out and in which causes a hesitation. The shop that did the install is a certified whipple installer and has done dozens of SC installs, so I am assuming it's the cal and not the install that is causing issues. Anyone else have similar issues.?

I'll create a customer service ticket with whipple to see if we can get it figured out...
Sponsored

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I have 1200ish miles on my Whipple stage 2 cal in my 2017 car. Never noticed any strong surging or bucking. I will say every now and then at that 2500-3500 range if you suddenly get moderately on the throttle, the acceleration doesn’t feel as smooth. No one riding in the car would ever notice it, but as the driver I feel the very slightest of hesitation at times. I just assumed it was the bypass valve in the blower getting confused with my throttle modulation.

If it’s predictable and repeatable, log it and send it to Whipple. I’m sure they’ll help get you squared aware.

Gabefuu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I have a 2020 PP2 car and just got a gen 5 whipple stage 2 kit installed. I am experiencing some very strong surging/bucking once in a while. Plus, when cruising at lower rpm's (2,500 to 3,500'ish) it feels like the fuel is cutting out and in which causes a hesitation. The shop that did the install is a certified whipple installer and has done dozens of SC installs, so I am assuming it's the cal and not the install that is causing issues. Anyone else have similar issues.?

I'll create a customer service ticket with whipple to see if we can get it figured out...
I also went with a shop that did a bunch of sc installs and are a roush certified installer
I’ve been having a bunch of issues surging and bucking being two of them. I’ve been chasing problems for months. I was thinking maybe throttle body, bypass, or even tuning related.Well today I was swapping injectors and tuners(Lund now) and I had to take apart the sc to do so. And I noticed the shop never installed the intake manifold gaskets. I’m currently waiting for gaskets hopefully this fixes my problems.

I made a post that shows a picture if your interested in seeing it.

OP
OP
HoustonGT

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
I also went with a shop that did a bunch of sc installs and are a roush certified installer
I’ve been having a bunch of issues surging and bucking being two of them. I’ve been chasing problems for months. I was thinking maybe throttle body, bypass, or even tuning related.Well today I was swapping injectors and tuners(Lund now) and I had to take apart the sc to do so. And I noticed the shop never installed the intake manifold gaskets. I’m currently waiting for gaskets hopefully this fixes my problems.

I made a post that shows a picture if your interested in seeing it.
Interesting...sending a data log to whipple to see what they say. Shop is willing to take a look at it as well. Thanks for the input.

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible

Try cleaning the valves and throttle body. I had the same issue, and this did it for me

https://www.familyhandyman.com/project/cleaning-a-throttle-body/

Sponsored

OP
OP
HoustonGT

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Whipple Stage 2 / 2018 F150 5.0 Whipple Stage 2
Whipple calibration doesn’t have surging.

you need to log it and start to look for your issue

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I have had a lot of procharger cars have this same issue. Normally it is in the throttle body data

ZPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I have it with my 2017 with a Gen 5 stage 2 Whipple. It doesn't happen very often (maybe once or twice a week?). I have started to notice that it does the surging/bucking when I start it up and take off right away. However, if I start it up and let the rpms idle back down and stabilize then I don't get the surging.

TimT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt PP
I have had the same issue since my sc was installed. Never been able to get it to quite. mine sounds the same as yours, low rpms, usually when cruising in town. Mine is a gen 5 stage 2, did it from day 1 with a brand new throttle body. let me know if you can figure this out.

Sponsored
OP
OP
HoustonGT

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
I have had the same issue since my sc was installed. Never been able to get it to quite. mine sounds the same as yours, low rpms, usually when cruising in town. Mine is a gen 5 stage 2, did it from day 1 with a brand new throttle body. let me know if you can figure this out.
You have a 2018+? Manual or auto? Yep, happens most often when cruising in town at low rpm's maintaining a constant speed...

TimT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt PP
I have an 18 with a manual, stage 2. Sorry it took me so long to reply.

TimT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt PP
Kinda feels like you are dragging on the brake, even does it with cruise control set around 40 mph.

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Whipple Stage 2 / 2018 F150 5.0 Whipple Stage 2
What has Whipple support said?