OP
OP
Oxford_5oh

Oxford_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I doubt it went thru the intercooler. But best safe than sorry.
I have a sneaking suspicion metal made its way into the engine.. This is my throttle body:
Car was towed to a shop today so hopefully I'll have some news end of this week.

OP
OP
Oxford_5oh

Oxford_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
20200505_123421.jpg

Jbcain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
6.7psd, 3.0eco
Yeah that's not good bud.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Oxford_5oh

Oxford_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Unit has been shipped off, shop did a tear down of all the tubing and found a lot of large metal chunks stuck in the intercooler unable to bypass the small internal piping and they think the larger BV57 BOV helped keep some of the chunks out of the system..
So far they ran a compression test and dropped the oil pan, compression was solid and they seem confident that a teardown isn't needed of the engine but I suppose time will tell. I'll update you guys with what vortech says about the actual unit, and a new intercooler is going to be ordered.

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
Consider boroscoping the cylinders.
You will see what made it into combustion chamber. Piston tops and cylinder head will quickly show if you should be concerned.

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
No doubt about it, that's bearing/shaft failure.
been through this 2 times in 3000 miles with a paxton Novi 1500 head unit .mine fortunately made terrible noise started to seize and burned up and shreaded the belt both times before breaking the impeller blades . Yes it was bearing falure 2x and also a friend of mine copied my combo exactly and had same issue with head unit as myself no Bullshit !!! I owned Vortechs too and never had an issue with them ever !!! good luck with your car

OP
OP
Oxford_5oh

Oxford_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
been through this 2 times in 3000 miles with a paxton Novi 1500 head unit .mine fortunately made terrible noise started to seize and burned up and shreaded the belt both times before breaking the impeller blades . Yes it was bearing falure 2x and also a friend of mine copied my combo exactly and had same issue with head unit as myself no Bullshit !!! I owned Vortechs too and never had an issue with them ever !!! good luck with your car
Knowing the sounds I know now, it will be a valuable lesson if I continue to own centri blown cars.. Can't say dropping all that money last summer just to have this happen in 1-2 thousand miles is a fun experience

OP
OP
Oxford_5oh

Oxford_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Quick update on car. I sent Vortech a video from when I 1st heard a new sound a few weeks after the install(this video was from last year). The rep said in the video you can hear a bearing has already failed (which I suspect is from a error of the shop that did the install). I even sent the same video to the installing shop last year and the owner stated he couldn't hear anything unusual, go figure.
Vortech stated 1 of the 4 units bearing failed and eventually was chewed up by some gear teeth which ultimately let the unit fail and let the impeller shaft come loose. Before they knew about the bad bearing beforehand they suggested it was caused by a major compressor surge.

Anyways the current shop the car is at has changed the oil with a filter inspection, borescoped, and compression tested the car with all clean results. They did however want me to get a new intercooler.

Vortech covered the new 2200 unit under warranty and I bought a new intercooler. Parts were dropped off today and I should be driving the car again this week.

Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
1 of 2 thinigs, either something went into the blower

or the impeller pushed forward from boost not bleeding off from too much boost for the current bov
Sponsored