Sponsored

Passed on an S650, I posted this in the S650 forums as well...

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I drove an S650 yesterday. They had a fully loaded Rapid Red Premium with PP, AE, MR, Night package, the works. The car stickered at $62k, just $2.5K less than the M2 I have my eye on. The dealer offered me $3k off of MSRP. I went to go look and drive the car, literally cleaned out my S550 incase I decided to move forward with the car.

First off the car had multiple paint defects as far as drips are concerned. In the passenger front wheel well the fender had drips so bad that they chipped off exposing the primer of the fender.

The other issue is on the test drive in which I did a 25 mile loop to include some freeway and even a few curves that I can take at some speed showed how awful the steering was. I drove the car in Track Mode and the steering was set at sport and there was no feel. It felt like I was using an XBox controller. My S550 with the Ford Performance TrackKit and the current setup the steering was quite a bit better than the S650 I drove.

You can see my vehicle that I am driving and I too came out of a BMW, a BMW M3 (E92) which was BMWs last vehicle with hydraulic steering. Now Ford does know how to do EPAS, just go drive an old 2012+ Ford Focus or FiST. Those cars had awesome steering. One of the selling points was that Ford improved the steering. It felt like I was driving a Ford LTD Broughm (just dated myself).

The last part, was the cost of the car even with $3k off and current financing put the car payment just at $1k a month. No freaking way!!! I can lease the same M2 for just under $900 per month. I like to lease as I get the tax write-off.

Noticed I didn't mention the dash, I actually liked the dash. The interior materials are better than the S550, its just the rest seemed like a downer.

I am not mentioning performance because the dealer puts 87 octane in the car, and it only had 59 miles on her. However, it felt like my 2020 S550 would wipe the floor with her with its FP PowerKit and 4.09 gears and my car weights just over 3700lbs.

Needless to say I drove home in my 2020 GT, I am leaning towards just keeping the S550. I love the M2. I know a lot of folks on this forum think they are ugly, I love them. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Its just that in test driving the M2 I didn't feel the performance was that much better if at all compared to my modded S550. To go another $45K+ indebt just seemed like I would be making a huge mistake. I just love BMWs and I am itching to get back into one. I just really fell in love with my Mustang when I got it thinking it would just be a transitional car.

Love my Mustang...

IMG_20220319_183508116_HDR_PORTRAIT~2.jpg
Sponsored

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The m2 is a BAD BITCH! I want one very badly.

That said, you have a nice 2020... keep her and mod it AND buy the M2.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Nice write up, I hope the fix the driving dynamics and quality control as this model matures. Keep that awesome S550. I saw the Dark Horse at the auto show, its nice and all but I prefer my Mach 1 hands down.

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I drove an S650 yesterday. They had a fully loaded Rapid Red Premium with PP, AE, MR, Night package, the works. The car stickered at $62k, just $2.5K less than the M2 I have my eye on. The dealer offered me $3k off of MSRP. I went to go look and drive the car, literally cleaned out my S550 incase I decided to move forward with the car.

First off the car had multiple paint defects as far as drips are concerned. In the passenger front wheel well the fender had drips so bad that they chipped off exposing the primer of the fender.

The other issue is on the test drive in which I did a 25 mile loop to include some freeway and even a few curves that I can take at some speed showed how awful the steering was. I drove the car in Track Mode and the steering was set at sport and there was no feel. It felt like I was using an XBox controller. My S550 with the Ford Performance TrackKit and the current setup the steering was quite a bit better than the S650 I drove.

You can see my vehicle that I am driving and I too came out of a BMW, a BMW M3 (E92) which was BMWs last vehicle with hydraulic steering. Now Ford does know how to do EPAS, just go drive an old 2012+ Ford Focus or FiST. Those cars had awesome steering. One of the selling points was that Ford improved the steering. It felt like I was driving a Ford LTD Broughm (just dated myself).

The last part, was the cost of the car even with $3k off and current financing put the car payment just at $1k a month. No freaking way!!! I can lease the same M2 for just under $900 per month. I like to lease as I get the tax write-off.

Noticed I didn't mention the dash, I actually liked the dash. The interior materials are better than the S550, its just the rest seemed like a downer.

I am not mentioning performance because the dealer puts 87 octane in the car, and it only had 59 miles on her. However, it felt like my 2020 S550 would wipe the floor with her with its FP PowerKit and 4.09 gears and my car weights just over 3700lbs.

Needless to say I drove home in my 2020 GT, I am leaning towards just keeping the S550. I love the M2. I know a lot of folks on this forum think they are ugly, I love them. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Its just that in test driving the M2 I didn't feel the performance was that much better if at all compared to my modded S550. To go another $45K+ indebt just seemed like I would be making a huge mistake. I just love BMWs and I am itching to get back into one. I just really fell in love with my Mustang when I got it thinking it would just be a transitional car.

Love my Mustang...

IMG_20220319_183508116_HDR_PORTRAIT~2.jpg
Another vote for keep the 2020 and get the M2 also.

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
good call. ford's abysmal customer service and quality of late has me looking at other brands for my next truck. i'll probably keep bluey till the wheels fall off.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
good call. ford's abysmal customer service and quality of late has me looking at other brands for my next truck. i'll probably keep bluey till the wheels fall off.
What trucks are you considering?

OP
OP
Dave2013M3

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
The m2 is a BAD BITCH! I want one very badly.

That said, you have a nice 2020... keep her and mod it AND buy the M2.
She already has been modded, another reason to keep her😀

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Nice review. I had similar thoughts about the steering, it just doesn’t feel any different than my GT (I haven’t touched the suspension on mine yet). Which is fine for 90% of the people that will use them as cruisers I guess. Overall at this point, there just wasn’t a big enough difference for me to get one even though the salesperson and the GM made me some interesting offers for my car. We’ll see what changes come down the road and what other variants Ford rolls out (Ford Authority has an article out with a new Bullitt rendering that looks pretty clean).

I really like your S550, so if it were me I’d keep it.

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
The new tacoma and ranger.
I have a 21 tacoma and am excited about the new model. Mine pulls my car and trailer with ease, so I'm not rushing out to spend 50k haha. I do want one tho...

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your car rocks….I always enjoy looking at the pics. 4.09 gears must be nice.