Sponsored

Paint Bubbling in Hood

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Well, it happened :( After leaving the car outside entire winter, the corrosion caught up with me and I now have paint bubbling on 3 different places on my hood (2 opposite corners above headlights and one dead center where the stripe is). I was so happy that my car didnt have the rust problem all this time (54 months/67,000 miles), but my luck ran out.

I am aware there is corrosion warranty which is 5 years unlimited miles (I have 6 months left). What I dont know is how this repair is done. I know a new hood has to be sent and it has to be painted. This is where I have concerns:

- Will this show up in carfax? Last thing I want is carfax showing "body work" even though there is no accident.
- Entire front end of the car is wrapped in xpel. I am guessing the paint of the hood has to be blended? This means the xpel on all other panels (quarter panels and bumper) needs to be removed? Or actually does it need to be blended? Because xpel was put on at 500 miles, the paint in those panels should be pristine.
- Do you think the body shop can apply the stripe like factory?

Anything else I should know be worried about? Or should I just sell the car and get out before I go down this path because this path will be filled with headache and agony?

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg
Sponsored

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
Well, it happened :( After leaving the car outside entire winter, the corrosion caught up with me and I now have paint bubbling on 3 different places on my hood (2 opposite corners above headlights and one dead center where the stripe is). I was so happy that my car didnt have the rust problem all this time (54 months/67,000 miles), but my luck ran out.

I am aware there is corrosion warranty which is 5 years unlimited miles (I have 6 months left). What I dont know is how this repair is done. I know a new hood has to be sent and it has to be painted. This is where I have concerns:

- Will this show up in carfax? Last thing I want is carfax showing "body work" even though there is no accident.
- Entire front end of the car is wrapped in xpel. I am guessing the paint of the hood has to be blended? This means the xpel on all other panels (quarter panels and bumper) needs to be removed? Or actually does it need to be blended? Because xpel was put on at 500 miles, the paint in those panels should be pristine.
- Do you think the body shop can apply the stripe like factory?

Anything else I should know be worried about? Or should I just sell the car and get out before I go down this path because this path will be filled with headache and agony?

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg
I had the same issue and had it repaired under warranty. My car is Oxford White with no stripes. Yes, they had to blend the paint with front fenders along with painting and entire new hood. Luckily happened before I had Xpel applied. This should only show up on an Ford Oasis report and not CarFax.

i would only sell your car if you have to sell to free up cash or you want to get into another vehicle. You’ve already put 67,000 miles so I assume you are enjoying it but then things can change. Best of luck with your decision !

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Talk to them. I was rear ended in my audi and the damage was extensive but the quarters weren't touched. I asked if they could avoid blending the paint and they did a great job. If you look at your car objectively, the panels at different angles look a slightly different shade anyway...you can probably do without blending at all - just ask.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
What is that on the corner of your hood? Is it where the XPEL ended?
I did not know this was a problem.

Sponsored

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
What is that on the corner of your hood? Is it where the XPEL ended?
I did not know this was a problem.
Those are the edges how xpel wraps around. Its on every xpel panel where you have a sharp corner and you need to wrap the edges under the panel.

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Those are the edges how xpel wraps around. Its on every xpel panel where you have a sharp corner and you need to wrap the edges under the panel.
I would be having a very friendly but serious conversation with your xpel guy then because those corners should not be tucked like that. Every one of my corners is tucked under the edge. You don't see the edge of the film anywhere.

20210419_183942.jpg
20210419_183936.jpg

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I would be having a very friendly but serious conversation with your xpel guy then because those corners should not be tucked like that. Every one of my corners is tucked under the edge. You don't see the edge of the film anywhere.

20210419_183942.jpg
20210419_183936.jpg
This. Was going to question how you can get corrosion under your PPF. Am I missing something?

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350

20210419_183942.jpg
20210419_183936.jpg
Did your guy custom cut or use a template? The templates I've seen look that the OPs

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350

20210419_183942.jpg
20210419_183936.jpg
Have to agree, I don't see any edges on my hood or bumpers.

This. Was going to question how you can get corrosion under your PPF. Am I missing something?
Was wondering the same thing too, as the hood is supposedly made from aluminum.

Sponsored
OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
My PPF guy (who is no longer my PPF guy - but not due to those edges) uses templates only. There is no way to not have those edge cut outs in templates. Every car I own is wrapped tip to toe (and in different installers), and they all have those edges.

As to how this happened inside PPF, I dont know. Car was wrapped at 500 miles. It is now 67,000 miles. I think xpel slowed this down and without it, it would have happened much sooner and much worse.

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 - 6S1757, 2017 GT350 - H3303
I know nothing about PPF so this might be a dumb question...are you sure this is a paint problem and not an issue with the xpel, like trapped moisture?

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Paint job on GT350 cars is poor at the best in general. Every GT350 I've seen having paint imperfections.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
This is a known issue. Google it. Dealer will replace hood and paint. They should also order oem stripe kit. The corrosion will only get worse and I saw somewhere someone said if the paint chips or breaks open there, the dealer could attempt to deny it.
Sponsored