Paint Bubbles or Runs on Doors?

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Just noticed this today when checking the air in the tires... frankly I can’t tell if it’s a run in the paint or something bubbling underneath. If it was a run, I feel like I would have seen it already though... I’ve been all over this car for a couple years now.
Searching only found paint bubbles on the hood, with an odd thread with a bubble on the rear bumper. If it’s a run, I’m inclined to leave it alone, but a bubble this early has to get fixed.

Thoughts?

56D2FD8B-4DA6-43C6-8D7A-CFDA53025311.jpeg
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Definitely looks like a reaction going on that has bubbled to the surface. I enlarged the pic as best I could and don’t see any trails on the surface for it to be a paint run or drip.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I agree with Cobra Jet, they look like rust or something is starting to form and is bubbling up.

Also, those little specs or dots you see is the rust trying to break thru to the surface.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TicTocTach

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
I agree with Cobra Jet, they look like rust or something is starting to form and is bubbling up.

Also, those little specs or dots you see is the rust trying to break thru to the surface.
The specs or dots might just be dirt - I took the pic right after I "cleaned" the area with my fingers while feeling the bumps. I'll clean it properly and get a better pic up close. The passenger side of the car is hard to get to since I'm parked up close to another car in the garage.

I agree with Cobra Jet, too - it doesn't have the trail of pain above the bump that I would typically expect with a run...

More to follow.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Agree with the others, that’s not overrun. Have you tried pushing on it? It may give a little if it’s a bubble forming.

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I live in the rust belt, I've seen this a million times. I may be wrong but I don't think so, That looks like rust is starting to form and you got lucky catching it as soon as you did as it would be just a minor repair at this point.

OP
OP
TicTocTach

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Ok, I cleaned the area better and the spots remained. I’ll let the photos do the talking, but it looks like I have a dealership appointment in my very near future.

064A6A36-A6C5-4681-829C-1F336690D48B.jpeg

3F9212D5-51D2-4ED5-B372-2584D15C6332.jpeg

7394C7BF-A8D4-49B4-9842-3E7FC27F2144.jpeg

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I live in salt belt Ohio, Dayton. Salt is the name of the game. I don’t understand how some cars go forever without a drop of rust and other cars or new cars completely eaten through.

I say this because my car is 9 years old and I never gave it a bath for literally 6-7 years, I have just started using a car wash because 17 a month. Lol

anyway not a drop of rust on my paint. My friend has a new car less than 2 years old and has blistering paint like yours from the salt.

OP
OP
TicTocTach

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
That's a big chunk of what's aggravating here - I bought this car new but it sat on the dealer lot for 5 months before I got it. It came home to a garage and has had covered parking when not in the garage. It's friggin' Texas, and it's dry here. When it does rain, she gets an undercarriage wash within a week. When it does freeze here, there's very little salt on the roads, and if last week taught the world anything, when TX freezes we don't do or go anywhere. There are fewer rust bubbles on the 1969 Plymouth Valiant parked right next to her. Sigh.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Since your car is an 18 and it's happening already, it's a good bet that there are a few spots of contaminated metal that was not cleaned properly before the paint was applied.

Back in the 60's, 70's and 80's that was a common sight up here in the snow belt. It was not uncommon to see severe rust damage on a 2-3 year old car and see 5 year old cars in the junk yard already because it was too far gone to save.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, in that new pic, there is def some bubbling that is occurring under the painted surface and is not on the clear, nor is it a paint run.

I’m going to attach this thread link here, but check out the PDFs in it, in case you’re wondering what is and is not covered under the paint warranty:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...pping-on-hood-edge.142195/page-2#post-3048339

Your 2018 comes with a 5/60 Paint Protection, where the metal does not need to be perforated to get a warranty claim approved. It’s also outlined in the Mustang Owner’s manual.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, in that new pic, there is def some bubbling that is occurring under the painted surface and is not on the clear, nor is it a paint run.

I’m going to attach this thread link here, but check out the PDFs in it, in case you’re wondering what is and is not covered under the paint warranty:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...pping-on-hood-edge.142195/page-2#post-3048339

Your 2018 comes with a 5/60 Paint Protection, where the metal does not need to be perforated to get a warranty claim approved. It’s also outlined in the Mustang Owner’s manual.
Do 2017s have same warranty or does it require perforation?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do 2017s have same warranty or does it require perforation?
The only model year that requires perforation is 2015. Starting with the 2016 models, in the Owner’s manual and in online warranty docs, it is stated that perforation is not a prerequisite to getting warranty approval.

I’m not sure why or how Ford decided the cut off of the 2015’s, but if anyone has a 2016 forward, no perforation is required for a shop to even consider warranty work.

Here ya go, I had posted this in another thread a while back for a 2017 owner.

The 2017 Ford Warranty statement for Paint and Corrosion, in section 3 below, it’s not only for perforation; it has an “OR” in that statement regarding paint concerns for “Factory Workmanship” (the rest of the blurbage pertains to a brand new vehicle time period to reporting a claim where airborne fallout caused the issue. Again in such a case, the owner would need to reference the GSB docs provided in the other thread for visuals of what Ford accepts for warranty repair IF it’s airborne):
ba7afe0b-7fca-49d4-b611-e2eb91729b3f-jpeg.jpg

Here is the web link to the complete 2017 Ford Warranty pdf from where the above was extracted:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...ck-Warranty-version-3_frdwa_EN-US_09_2016.pdf

Also for future reference for others, here is this link I had posted too which has a lot of info and discussion about the perforation clause (the most recent TSB is in the thread):
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/tsb-19-2026-aluminum-panel-corrosion.117031/

—-

The OP’s concern should be covered without a doubt and if his shop wants to give him any grief, he has at his disposal all of the needed facts (GSB/PDFs) to prove the concern is well within the warranty guidelines.

Last edited:

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
OP
OP
TicTocTach

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
OP you're not alone in this and I don't believe its rust. I'm not sure if its a byproduct of outgassing or what, I have a spot like this on my trunk and I swear it wasn't there when I bought the car, but I only ever noticed it one time when I had the lid up.

Mine hasn't become any worse, I didn't want to have a dealer repaint the trunk unless things got really bad.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/trunk-paint-defect-anyone-have-a-spot-like-this.95336/
Wow, that looks exactly the same. Assuming the doors aren’t also aluminum, I wonder what the issue is?
Sponsored