Sponsored

P0420 code

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
OP, I don't recall if your car is tuned or not, but if you have a tuner you could always have them send you two tunes--one "emissions ready" and one that turns off the rear O2s. You could use the non-emissions friendly tune for day to day driving, and then load up the "emissions ready" tune for when you have to pass inspection (assuming you have an OBD check in your state). Not an optimal solution, I know, but maybe something to think about.

I have Kooks 1 3/4" headers with green cats, and knock on keyboard, I haven't had any codes yet. Mine are not coated. I have an emissions ready tune from Lund, so if I end up with a CEL, I might just have them send me a second tune, and hope I can pass the OBD check by loading the emissions ready tune when necessary.
Sponsored

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Either tune it out or use spark plug non-foulers, they space the rear sensor far enough out to make it seem like stock cats are there. Most just have them set in test mode which disables them with a tune.

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Either tune it out or use spark plug non-foulers, they space the rear sensor far enough out to make it seem like stock cats are there. Most just have them set in test mode which disables them with a tune.
Never used a non-fouler before. Is there a particular size or is it one size fits all?

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dorman #42009 you need two sets of two. Drill on set out with a 1/2" drill bit in the center for the sensor too fit in and put sensors in those ones, set that is not drilled out put in piped exhaust where sensor goes, then second set that is drilled out goes in the middle or next then sensor goes in the one drilled out. In emissions states we are no allowed any not ready codes so we trick the Sensors to think the cats are still there.

gsxr1300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP

Sponsored

gsxr1300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I installed some last weekend.

toplesstripcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 50th Mustang GT vert, '03 yellow Evo
It can be done but it's also highly illegal. Most tuners don't want the risk.
Highly illegal? Like turning off the rear O2's or or running catless are legal?

Besides turning off the rear O2 sensors or putting foulers in won't change the quality of the exhaust gas.

I may reconsider getting long tubes. I may just save the hassle and keep the stock headers and cats and just get a tune, then a supercharger in the future. At least long tubes aren't necessary for a supercharger. Shame though because I like long tubes.

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
The defouler trick is cheap so you can try that first. It doesn't work all the time. If it doesnt, look in to digital Rear Sensor Simulators. Magnum tuning has an adjustable output simulator.

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have more than 5K on my spark plug non foulers with high-flow cats and no issues here so at least I can say in my case that they work for me

bullet6236

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I have ARH long tubes w/cats 1 7/8" x 3", running a Lund "emissions" tune that enables all monitors. I received the P0420 P0430 codes and then installed the Dorman spacers, drilled out one and stacked on the second with steel wool between. Now I am getting P2096 Fuel Trim System Too Lean. Plan to remove the steel wool and see if that lets the sensor pick up enough exhaust gas.

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Vibrant 90Âş O2 simulator, with the smallest threaded insert. As an alternative.
Sponsored