Sponsored

Ordering a 2020 GT - Should I buy auto or manual?

BadNews_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leo
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I live in unhealthy fear that manuals are going to disappear.
I make a point to pointlessly vote with my wallet on the matter.

I'm a bit of a physical mess, but chose the manual. Something I will regret at clutch time. But my sciatica hasn't been too terrible an issue even in the city. Placebo maybe, but I attribute it to the hydraulic clutch.

Racing isn't something I do anymore.
So I'm not very concerned about the transmission flaking on me.

I did make a point to test drive the auto.
Wicked, I'll admit.

But there is just something about a manual that has appealed to me after getting rid of my learner car.
3 on the tree I hated, gave me a bad rub.

Then I drove a 5spd and it's been that way since. Only time it was an issue was Japan. My left hand is clearly retarded.

So it's really only a question you can answer.

I've heard all of the horror stories about the MT82.

The only issue I've encountered is when doing a "spirited" run to 70 then going from 2nd to 6th. Comes off a bit hesitantly.

But 7400 through the gears proper, no issues.

Long winded as always.. apologies
Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I think it is this simple:

Driving experience = manual
Go fast, simplify life = auto

Which do you want?

For as long as my left knee can handle it, I want driving to be an experience. Cannot get as much of it in an auto. You will get some and maybe most of it. I think the difference is like listening to a fantastic drummer in person versus hearing a computer replicate the music. Sure it is accurate but not the same experience. Both will hit the same beats but one is just so much more alive.

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
Hey All!

I recently had my car repurchased by Ford for unrepairable issues and now I honestly just want opinions on what to get next.
I had an auto 2017 ecoboost, then bought the 2018 GT premium with the 10 speed and performance pack and now.. I am definitely getting another mustang but need opinions..

I live in Glendale, CA which is proven to be one of the most traffic and dangerous driver packed cities in Los Angeles which is why my previous two cars were both auto but now, I'm considering buy a manual and want to see what everyone thinks about it being daily driven in 70% traffic. My choice is either to order a 2020 GT Premium with every option and 10 speed or to order a 2020 GT Premium with every option and 6 speed manual.

I don't care what so ever about having the fastest times or about racing, I drive strictly to cruise and enjoy.. My question is, for those of you who've owned both, will I regret purchasing the 6 speed manual since I've owned a 10 speed?

All opinions are welcome and much appreciated!
Man, when I bought my car I almost bought an auto. I'm going to say this, I have always rowed my gears in everything I bought for FUN. Key word, FUN. When you dust someone in a 6 speed car there is a glorious feeling about it. I most of all I had fun doing it. There is nothing more pleasurable than being one with the machine you are driving. For me it's working in unison I know how she drives and I feel great pleasure in hitting those shift points perfectly. For me if I got a auto I know I would always look back thinking what if I got an auto. With the 6 speed manual I haven't questioned my choice. It's part of me and It's in my DNA. I respect the people who row gears. I love the extra little bit of effort I got to put in to make it move. Just a thought. If I was buying something for straight up drag racing, betting money, and worried about 1/4 mile times. I would in a heart beat pick up a 10 speed auto. No question, they are faster, more reliable, and easier. Where is the fun in that though. I know every time I bang through the gears at that perfect moment I smile a little.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
My cousin years ago dropped a 383 in the old family Caprice Classic 4 door people mover. He bored it .050 over and did all sorts of things to it so that it would do the quarter mile in the tens. He put an automatic in it. When I asked why he said that , at the time, it might be slower than a manual at the drag strip but it was way more repeatable. He could hit the same numbers all day long.

I know you may not care about drag or track but repeatability is why many want an auto in heavy traffic. It makes it bearable.

If traffic was worse than what I see in the NY metro area, I would move. I only work 40-60 hrs a week. I want to enjoy the time I have away and if I have to fight traffic that bad how can you call yourself a driving experience guy. Sure, car guys can admire cars even at a standstill but driving experience guys have to drive. Sounds to me your area is not well suited for the driving experience.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Was the second choice after the GT itself, manual or standard the proper name. I don't see auto as making traffic anymore bearable. An excuse maybe for a lack of coordination.

Driving experience is what a driver makes of it, is it always great ... not, and what in life is always fun ?

pep

Sponsored

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
I'm seeing a lot of talk about how a manual transmission is the only way to have a true driving experience. By that logic you should all disconnect your power steering, ditch the synchromesh gearing, start the car with a hand crank, and only listen to AM radio. Did I miss anything? Oh yeah, why the Hell are you using an engine with EFI? True drivers only drive carbuerated cars.
Not really, I mean it's all about what the person wants to do with their car. I have gotten to drive a GTR one of my friends acquired a while back. It was a great driving car. It's packed with technology and it's stupid fast. I loved every moment of it. It would be a fun daily commuter for me. I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a trip across country. Basic bolt on Supra. It was a slower car, however, I still had move FUN in the 6 speed car than I did in the auto. Even though the auto was packed with tech, when you turned the wheel it was going in that direction, regardless of speed. There was something about being able to bang the gears and the mechanical feeling that just did it for me. It's kind of like that one girl you find attractive. You don't know why, she is not really your type. She just pulls you in. She's not a perfect 10 but you just gravitate to her.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'm seeing a lot of talk about how a manual transmission is the only way to have a true driving experience. By that logic you should all disconnect your power steering, ditch the synchromesh gearing, start the car with a hand crank, and only listen to AM radio. Did I miss anything? Oh yeah, why the Hell are you using an engine with EFI? True drivers only drive carbuerated cars.
These comparisons are slightly inaccurate, in my opinion.
Even with power steering, you still retain full control of the steering wheel, and when you rotate it by a certain amount, the wheels will still turn immediately and by exactly the same angle as they would do with a fully mechanical rack. The 'power' part only eliminates the effort, not the control.
An engine that doesn't run at its best not only adds nothing to the driving pleasure, but on the contrary, it erodes it. There's no driving pleasure in an engine that doesn't start when it's cold outside, or one that detonates and loses power every now and then, depending on temperature, humidity, road inclination or planet alignment. So the EFI makes driving more enjoyable, not less. Besides, it's not like a carburettor gave you any kind of control that you're losing with EFI.
On the other hand, an automatic gearbox takes some control away from you. You can still influence the gear changes to some extent, but you cannot control them as finely and completely as you can with a manual gearbox. That's what this is about.

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I basically have the Bullitt but with the Auto. I'd suggest getting the Auto. I love it and get the safety package so it can low speed self drive. Best feature ever.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
This question is like “should you buy boxer shorts or briefs”... yes I’m being sarcastic...

Simple answer:
Go test drive the (2) vehicles back to back, on the same day within minutes of each other.

Even though you had a 2017 EcoBoost with a 6R80, it is truly no comparison to a 2018+ GT or even EB with a 10R80.

The 10R80 is miles apart from the 6R80 in every aspect of not only performance but how it functions. The 10R80 keeps the gearing and performance in the power band, period. The 10R80 will out shift a manual trans, regardless of who thinks they are quickest at manual shifting. It will also out shift the 6R80 vs a vehicle that is equal in HP and rear gearing.

The 10R80 is just as fun as a manual trans - and doesn’t even compare to a 6R80.

I’m not just saying the above because my 2018 has a 10R80, but I’ve owned many vehicles with a manual transmission, including my 94 Cobra. Hell yea shifting gears is surely fun in a muscle car or any sports car equipped with a manual trans. However it sucks big time if having to drive that same car in daily traffic that can become heavy with stop-n-go patterns with the constant 1-2, or 2-3 upshifts/downshifts, or worse yet such traffic routes that can get gridlocked, period. If your daily route is on highways where traffic flows with never any gridlock, or is free flowing through rural back roads where you can cruise, then by all means an MT82 is definitely going to be an obvious reasonable choice.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
+1 my 15’ GT was a MT-82 and the trans was a POS. Hope they are better now but I won’t take a chance on another one.
They're not any better.

I had that trans in my '12 Boss 302 and it ruined it.

I like driving a stick as much as the next guy, but I'll literally walk before I ever own any car with that POS trans again, regardless of make, model, or price.

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
I have a stick. It's awful in bumper to bumper stop and go traffic.
And it is equally wonderful on a back country road. Since we have access to both of these types of driving here in So Cal consider where the car will be used and get the appropriate transmission.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I was thinking about this, and I guess another factor in my decision was decreasing the maintenance/concern/failure-point, sure, anything can break, but the A10 isn't really a standard, wear component (like a traditional manual with a clutch).

I'm already tuned, done a few intake mods, opening up the exhaust (FFS, my Steeda H pipe has been sitting here for 2 months ...), and I plan on more, maybe a good bit more, and I don't want to have to worry about having to think about a clutch, the changed "drivability", I just want to to be same as when it was stock.

Get the A10 which also gives you the remote start added bonus. It is so cool to use!
I gotta tell you, I really love having remote start - I had RSE over the wife's DD/RT that has it. I see you're in an area where it's probably even more of a perk, but even here, it's nice to start, let it idle and warm up, have the HVAC system heat/cool as appropriate.

This is also available through an App which is extra slick, and Ford removed the service cost for this (I think MY19 and up). You can even schedule a start :D
Sponsored