Sponsored

Ordered a 2017 GT, walked away once delivered...

rkan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fusion ti
I will 4th that opinion. Just wait for the 18 reveal, will still have time to order 17 if u want.

EricSMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/PP, 2004 BMW M3 Coupe
Right move. New car with body damage/repair/paint work..... hell freaking no.

I'd wait for the '18 details and then make your move. I'm betting the new model will be mostly fluff and so a '17, at that point, could be had for a smokin' deal.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Man, I bought my car off the lot with 92 miles on it. Clearly it was a test drive car but I didn't really care. It had some minor things on it that I made the dealership fix, but I guess I'm not as anal about my car as I thought I was. Some of you guys are hardcore on how many miles you'll accept on a new car. Kudos to you, wish I had that level of care--I'd probably wash my car more.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I think I might win the mileage contest. Mine had 396 when I purchased. Dealer transfer. Negotiated a hell of a trade in deal so no worries.

Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
mine had a a quarter size paint chip on the back bumper where the Styrofoam protector mounts for transport. They sent it out to a body shop that removed the bumper, repaired and painted the area, baked it, and reinstalled. Would never know anything happened. I would have had the dealer fix it and if you didnt like the repair, walk away.

magnetic16gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT
I think I might win the mileage contest. Mine had 396 when I purchased. Dealer transfer. Negotiated a hell of a trade in deal so no worries.
Mine had 800. Dealer trade. Got 3k more for my trade than any other dealership. Put 7000 miles on in a few months, so I knew the 800 miles was worth 3k in my pocket.

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I was originally going to get an ecoboost and had a dealer swap arranged with one about 100 miles away. It was carried on a truck so no mileage, but when I inspected it, it had quite a few paint drips on the edge of the hood and 3 light scratches on the rear bumper. I told them no deal unless they could fix the damage without paint work and knock $1000 off the negotiated price. They sanded down the paint drips and tried to buff out the scratches but couldn't. I told them no deal and the dealer wasn't happy and got very short with me.

I kept looking for another couple months until a GT popped up about 100 miles away with everything I wanted. I drove down there, looked it over and negotiated a fair deal with them.

Moral of the story, if you aren't 100% satisfied with the condition of a car when buying it, don't. A couple months is no time at all.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
You did the right thing, I 'd wait for the 2018's.

TC

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Convertible
I will echo everyone else's sentiments. You walked away because you were not happy, had you taken the "repaired" car, you would have seen that repair (even if you really could not) each time you walked up on the car. I ordered a car and watched it come off the transport at 7 in the evening. Beautiful Black finish, no damage. Went back the next morning to do the paperwork and saw they SCREWED a dealer nameplate onto the car. I tore the paperwork up, apologized to the salesman who had worked very hard to get me the car I wanted, and walked. Never settle, you will not be a happy owner.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
My car had 4 miles, but I'd take a car with 17 in a heartbeat.

I say walk for now, but ask the dealership to give you first dibs after th car gets fixed. If the repair is good enough, it is the car you wanted. Hard to find another exactly like it. If the repair isn't good then of course walk, and find another with all the options besides the leather and just add a nicer aftermarket interior.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
My good friend has a body shop here locally, and they have a contract with the dealers to fix ALL damaged repairs that came off of the truck. Now take for granted they have the best shop anywhere around here. 99.9 percent of individuals would never know it.
My Dad was in a similar situation. He owned a body shop here in Maryland and for a time did all of passport BMW "lot accident" repairs. Every one of those BMWs were sold as new when we delivered them back to passport. Now we of course did the best work we were capable of and you could not tell that those vehicles were repaired.

Just sharing this story so some can realize that these are just cars.... They will get damaged and they will get repaired before and after you purchase them. Not one car will ever be as built or as delivered and will never remain that way... so why put so much into getting the "perfect" vehicle? This is just my opinion and am by no means going against the OP. I would have refused delivery as well if the dealer wanted to repair it. I would have required for the dealer to pay for the repairs at a shop of my choosing. I just don't understand the mentality of the car needing to be untouched and "perfect" when purchased.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I will echo everyone else's sentiments. You walked away because you were not happy, had you taken the "repaired" car, you would have seen that repair (even if you really could not) each time you walked up on the car. I ordered a car and watched it come off the transport at 7 in the evening. Beautiful Black finish, no damage. Went back the next morning to do the paperwork and saw they SCREWED a dealer nameplate onto the car. I tore the paperwork up, apologized to the salesman who had worked very hard to get me the car I wanted, and walked. Never settle, you will not be a happy owner.
Isn't SD a front plate state?

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Mileage is absolutely fine. If the dent required paint, I would walk away too but if it was something a dent guy could pull out, I'd still consider it if it was just a small dent and ask for a few bucks off. It's a Mustang, not a Ferrari. It's meant to take a little abuse.

Mr Snappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-Vert, 2015 Tahoe LTZ
I 100% agree with what you did and to be honest, I would never do business with that dealer again. The miles thing is not an issue however.

If it was me, I would wait until you see what the 2018's are going to look like and then make your decision on your next move.
Sponsored