Sponsored

Order tires from Costco for delayed mounting?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
also eyeball the tire machine. and make sure the 'grab the rim by the outer edge' has plastic protectors so it doesn't mar the snot out of your rims should it slip.

I just did a lot of business with Discount Tire (not Costco obviously) and htey had no problem splitting up my purchase and mount+install into multiple visits the extended over 2 weeks. Just needed to show them my receipt.

$21 to mount and balance sure as heck beats $70 each at my local Craftsman Autocare even if the latter uses Hunter equipment.

I also didn't buy the 'DT guarentee' since the likelihood of needing it for track tires that still had 3/32 left was pretty slim. I don't know what the stipulations are for Costco
Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
That is usually the policy but my store was willing to work with me.....since they probably didn't want to tackle 305 sized tires on 11" wheels.

Edit...to note. I didn't buy my tires from Costco, even though they would sell them to me without mounting.

It may depend on the special. I know every time I've seen the Michelins hit the $150 off special they specifically call out mounting in store is required. When I asked about it they said it was to limit sales to current customers.

Last edited:

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I was told if I bought them and mounted somewhere else, Costco would note they would not warranty them.

Will check that.

A plus for Costco is the warranty and after sale support. If they won't mount them new, not sure how they will warranty replace or fix a flat if they won't touch aftermarket wheels.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I was told if I bought them and mounted somewhere else, Costco would note they would not warranty them.
I assumed that. Which is why I would not buy tires from any place that won't warranty.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
I didn't buy mine from Costco either...that's why I kept writing that they said "if" I buy them. I actually bought from Simple Tire.com and had Discount tire mount them.

I assumed that. Which is why I would not buy tires from any place that won't warranty.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Costco said they will hold the tires until my wheels arrive for pretty much indefinitely They already have my money and apparently plenty of storage space.

Manager said they will mount on my Apex wheels. I told them if they change their minds when I bring them, they can just give me a refund and keep the tires.

Curiously, they say they won't install provided TPMS, which does not make a lot of sense when they install tires on wheels with who knows what TPMS are already installed. Maybe they can be talked out or wouldn't care if I installed the TPMS on the wheels before giving them to Costco.

Costco charges $46 each for their TPMS. And FWIW, they charge $15 labor to replace/install a TPMS if that's all they are doing. If tires are already off the wheel, no labor charge to install a new TPMS.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
When I was not a Costco member, I always used Discount Tire. I have one within (long) walking distance.

The tire non-sale tire prices are basically the same. For the 4 PS4s just $1 more each at Discount Tire. But after that Costco wins and would even if Discount Tire had a comparable sale promotion ($150)

Both do free repairs, rotations, checks. But Costco includes a 5 year road hazard warranty for free. Discount tires wants $327 for a 3 year warranty on this set of PS$s.

The road hazard warranty is different, but I prefer the Costco.

First, this car doesn't get driven that much. Based on the set of PS4s on the car now, these new ones will last for the 5 years of the Costco warranty.

Second, the Costco is prorated. Covers what the remaining tread is worth. Discount tire is just 3 years but gives you a free new tire. I have no desire to pay $327 more just to make a possible profit on a road hazard. I remember hearing of people road hazarding their tires intentionally near end of warranty just to get free new ones. That means honest folks over pay for road hazard.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The problem I ran into with Costco is they will only mount tires that are stock or 10% oversize for the car in question.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The problem I ran into with Costco is they will only mount tires that are stock or 10% oversize for the car in question.
Yeah. Counter guy said just factory or a brand they sell. But manager asked a few questions and said no problem. The new wheels are same diameter and only 1/2" wider than factory rears.

They seem to have overly rigid rules but discretion which means roll of the dice at any given time. I still don't understand them not installing provided TPMS since they will slap new tires onto wheels with the exact same existing TPMSs. They sell TPMS for $46 each and claim they will be factory ones which is competitive.

Oh, just dawned on me: The existing ones are already programmed. They just don't want to waste time trying to program some off brand ones that might not even be compatible. Now guessing if I tell them not to program, I can provide my own if I really want to. I'll confirm if theirs are actually the factory ones and buy from them if they are.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I have a Costco membership but never bought tires from them nor had them mounted there.

Is mounting included with tire purchase? If so , why can’t you just accept the tires and store them at home until the wheels come in then take it back for them to mount?
Late answer:

Mounting, balancing is separate and $19 each. Discount Tire charges about the same ($20).

Costco said they will hold the tires until I bring the wheels. So, no need to cart tires back to Costco when ready. Saves a trip. Probably can't fit the tires and the new wheels into the Mustang.

Sponsored
OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Had Costco mount the tires on the new Apex wheels and put the factory nickel wheels in the Apex boxes. That was May 7th.

Yesterday, started cleaning the factory wheels to sell.

When I opened the 3rd box..................

1685460668008.png

And those gouges are DEEP.

Back to Costco today. $%&*

Any guess how they did that?

Can that be fixed? I mean without the wheel ending up a different color than the rest?

Not sure what I should accept as a solution.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Should have checked them before you left costco.
Sponsored