Options for car w/o Nav

Ronin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTP Stage 1
So I got my perfect Stang and due to my ignorance combined with enthusiasm, I assumed that big touch screen had NAV somewhere. It does not. I don't use nav a lot, but a trip to Denver etc and it can come in real handy. I see replacement head units for $2K!. I doubt there is a way to factory update. Do you guys:
1.Go with garmin and just toss one on the dash when you need it
2.. Mount your phone some where? Google maps or WAZE?
3. Can the phone plug via USB to the head unit or interface at all? (I have Sync 3)
4. Any option I am missing here?

Thanks!!!!
Sponsored

Dwardmba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT (401a, PP, Magneride, active exhaust)
As above, Apple CarPlay or Android auto, Waze, apple/google maps available. Waze give you crowd sourced information (wrecks, police, etc).

Dave

OP
OP
Ronin5.0

Ronin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTP Stage 1
Forgot to mention, I am android. I did find the owner / Ford site. I'll download WAZE...(on my phone) Will it bluetooth over or do I need a USB? I'll also look on line and see if I need an update but I think I have 3.0. I'm going to play with it here in a bit. Still early.. Thanks !!!!!! Dave and Mike!

OP
OP
Ronin5.0

Ronin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTP Stage 1
Interesting. The site looks pretty helpful. I'll go verify my Sync version. I might chesk into the below, I was told at dealer I was under warranty till 3/20. Even had some work done.
Capture.PNG

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Personally what I use is Waze through the ford sync system. Apple CarPlay limits the features of waze a bit

Sponsored

moosestang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Vert
Forgot to mention, I am android. I did find the owner / Ford site. I'll download WAZE...(on my phone) Will it bluetooth over or do I need a USB? I'll also look on line and see if I need an update but I think I have 3.0. I'm going to play with it here in a bit. Still early.. Thanks !!!!!! Dave and Mike!
I think the owners manual says you can connect with blue tooth, but I could only make it work thru the USB.

OP
OP
Ronin5.0

Ronin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTP Stage 1
I'm pretty sure I have Sync 3, It is listed on my Sticker. I'll enable to app on the phone and see if it shows on the screen, then fumble around from there. This will be cool if I can get her going. I won't need an additional device.

OP
OP
Ronin5.0

Ronin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTP Stage 1
Thanks. I asked the system to find apps and it could not with Waze running. I'll try again via USB. Also requested "Update Mobile Apps" Not sure what that may do but it never completed. I'll get the USB and try again. The video starts with a brief view of a USB cord. I definitely have Sync 3. Just trying to get it updated. Also found a "driver" mode for the sound system. I'll see if that improves audio.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
What year is your car? Only 2019s have Waize available, I think (unless updating Sync 3 adds it to other years?)
If you have a 2016 you’ll need to make sure you have the newest version of Sync 3 for Android auto.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ronin5.0

Ronin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTP Stage 1
2016. I have Sync 3. I'm not sure but maybe I need sync 3 on my android as well. A 2016 should work fine with Sync 3. Looks like definitely need USB due to bandwidth

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
2016. I have Sync 3. I'm not sure but maybe I need sync 3 on my android as well. A 2016 should work fine with Sync 3. Looks like definitely need USB due to bandwidth
Download the android auto app on your phone, plug it in via USB and activate on the head unit.

OP
OP
Ronin5.0

Ronin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTP Stage 1
I think I found the issue. I have Sync 3 v 1.0. Trying to do 3.0 now. Then download android auto and try again

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
What year is your car? Only 2019s have Waize available, I think (unless updating Sync 3 adds it to other years?)
If you have a 2016 you’ll need to make sure you have the newest version of Sync 3 for Android auto.
I can confirm that my 2017 GT with Sync 3 uses Waze or Apple Maps for that matter. I use it all the time.
Make sure you update the Sync 3 software to the latest firmware and latest app on your phone, pretty simple after that.

OP
OP
Ronin5.0

Ronin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTP Stage 1
Yep. Trying to do v 3.0 update now. Added Android auto to phone... Thanks!
Sponsored