Sponsored

Optimum Complete Prep & Coating Kit

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I'm going to apply Optimum Gloss-Coat over the weekend, after having a detailer do a two stage paint correction process on Friday. I purchased the Optimum Complete Prep & Coating kit from Autogeek.net, and will be using the products they provide to apply on both my car and my wife's white Mercedes C300.

Anyway, they provide two different types of small microfiber towels (16"x16") in the kit. Descriptions are below:

Super Plush Junior - The Super Plush Junior Microfiber Towel measures 16 x 16 inches and features an outstanding 75/25 blend of polyester and polyamide. The microfiber’s weight is a hefty 600 g/m²! The tremendous weight of the fabric makes the Super Plush Junior Microfiber Towel very thick and soft. Your hand sinks into the fluffy, silky fibers. The Super Plush Junior Towel caresses your vehicle’s curves as you buff off waxes, spray waxes, and detailers.

Gold Plush Junior - The Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towel is made of incredibly soft and plush microfiber in a handy 16 x 16 inch size. It's perfect for quick detailing and pampers every surface it touches. The Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towel measures 16 x 16 inches and features an outstanding 75/25 blend of polyester and polyamide. The microfiber’s weight is 380 g/m², making one very soft towel! The Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towel is perfect for buffing because it has a deep pile where dirt and dust can accumulate away from the paint, rather than being rubbed into the paint.

Anyway, on to the question. They provide a bottle of Optimum Paint prep spray that you use after polishing to remove any oils or wax from the paint. Which is the correct towel to use for that product, and which towel would be better to use for the Gloss-Coat?

JR
Sponsored

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I'd use the lightest weight one you have. The prep spray is just an iso/water mix so it comes off with one wipe.

Just a tip:
When you coat the car, never reuse the same section of towel to remove the coating. The coating crystallizes on the towel, and can impart fine scratches. You can either fold your towel into squares, using a new square for each section(if your good you can get 8 sections like this), or buy a bunch of small MF towels. For me a section is half a fender or 1/4 hood.

I just use a bunch of thin MF towels and flip them once. I wash them and they become rags after that use.

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
Yup, was going to say you better have a LOT more than two towels for this job.

OP
OP
jacknifetoaswan

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the feedback. Just picked up a cheap 12 pack from Amazon. I'm having my wife's car done this weekend (also grabbed the Wolfgang Tire & Wheel Cleaner kit for the wheels). If I need more towels, I'll order more. Good to know about the need to flip the towels.

JR

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
For the future, if you want good deals on quality microfiber towels, I use the Rag Company, there are a couple others, but I've always had good success and good deals from them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jacknifetoaswan

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For the future, if you want good deals on quality microfiber towels, I use the Rag Company, there are a couple others, but I've always had good success and good deals from them.
Actually, these are Rag Company towels! $17 for a dozen 16"x16" towels.

I'll buy better ones for drying and other uses, but for one time use towels, not bad!

JR

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
My towel obsession is deep. I dry myself with 4 year old rags but the car gets the best of the best!

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
^^^Absolutely!!!!
Sponsored