Sponsored

Opinions On Needed Paint Correction?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
So recently I picked up my 2017 Mustang and I couldn't be happier, slowly but surely starting to do mods to it and it's coming together. One thing I also wanted to do and saw that it needed was a paint correction. Now the previous owner was some 18-Year Old kid and he was brutally honest with me when I bought It and asked about the paint and he had told me that it was his mistake for "trying" to detail it around a year ago and didn't do proper prep or even do the steps right....he even told me he used heavy duty rubbing compound at one point! At this point I just want to hear some opinions before I go to detailers and they start quoting me an arm and a leg for service that the car might not even need like a 2-3 step PC... But what do ya'll think it needs? A One-Step Paint Correction or Two?

Car is pretty much covered in small scratches like this... just got home from work so the sun was setting quick and these were the best angles I could get to show the scratches.

IMG_5618 2.jpg

IMG_5621 2.jpg

IMG_5623 2.jpg
Sponsored

LowPSI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2019 RTR Series 1
I'd talk to a correction place and get their take. They should be able to measure how much clear the kid blew through with his "detailing" attempt. Let them know the back story and see how much clear they still have to work with.

I had a 2 step correction done on mine because the previous owner (who put a whopping 1900 miles on the thing) must have washed it with sandpaper. And it looks 95% now but unfortunately some of the scratches are still there. I'd be willing to bet based on your first photo that section is unfortunately toast. The other photos don't look that bad IMO.

Brisvegas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
Dark Matter Grey '23 GT Mustang , 1976 SS Torana
So recently I picked up my 2017 Mustang and I couldn't be happier, slowly but surely starting to do mods to it and it's coming together. One thing I also wanted to do and saw that it needed was a paint correction. Now the previous owner was some 18-Year Old kid and he was brutally honest with me when I bought It and asked about the paint and he had told me that it was his mistake for "trying" to detail it around a year ago and didn't do proper prep or even do the steps right....he even told me he used heavy duty rubbing compound at one point! At this point I just want to hear some opinions before I go to detailers and they start quoting me an arm and a leg for service that the car might not even need like a 2-3 step PC... But what do ya'll think it needs? A One-Step Paint Correction or Two?

Car is pretty much covered in small scratches like this... just got home from work so the sun was setting quick and these were the best angles I could get to show the scratches.

IMG_5618 2.jpg

IMG_5621 2.jpg

IMG_5623 2.jpg
Just going by the photos i'd suggest 2 step minimum but looking at some of those scratches looks like its going to need a heavy compound first but may get away with just a spot here and there . But all said your car will look absolute killer with a 3 stage correction , can get it glass like with a good operator . Got to stay away from those edges though

OP
OP
Trying2GetRich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
I'd talk to a correction place and get their take. They should be able to measure how much clear the kid blew through with his "detailing" attempt. Let them know the back story and see how much clear they still have to work with.

I had a 2 step correction done on mine because the previous owner (who put a whopping 1900 miles on the thing) must have washed it with sandpaper. And it looks 95% now but unfortunately some of the scratches are still there. I'd be willing to bet based on your first photo that section is unfortunately toast. The other photos don't look that bad IMO.
Poor guy must've taken it to those automatic car washes with mops for brushes every weekend lol

But yeah 2-Step seems the way to go, after a back and forth convo with some of my car buddies they think that's the best route too.

OP
OP
Trying2GetRich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Just going by the photos i'd suggest 2 step minimum but looking at some of those scratches looks like its going to need a heavy compound first but may get away with just a spot here and there . But all said your car will look absolute killer with a 3 stage correction , can get it glass like with a good operator . Got to stay away from those edges though
3-Step would be killer as long as they don't charge me what 1/3 of what the car is worth lmao.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Maybe an ignorant question but oh well... Would having a body shop respray the clear on the whole car be better in the long term? I have no idea what cost would be between all that detailing vs respray. I just thought since it's so bad, even if fixable, how much would be left for future polishing.

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
Heck no, you know how much a new paint job would cost? Just get it polished or DIY, it's not that hard and with a random orbital you have to be really dumb to mess it up.

When i paint corrected mine before ceramic coating i guess i gotta say it was a pain, very hard paint compared to Japanese cars.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I would definitely get a paint thickness reading all over the car. Chances are the clear is really thin if he polished it too much and a 2 or 3 step correction might burn thru it all and then you will be repainting. I woudln't chance it without a good check of the thickness.

22MAVXLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mustang GT
If he used a "rubbing compound" and not a machine, the clear isn't hurt, other than scratches. If he used an actual machine polisher or something else, the clear is screwed. From the pics though it looks more like it was run thru an automated car wash all the time, it honestly don't look too bad. I would say a 2 step process would get it done. I don't think you would need anything other than a good variable speed "orbital" buffer and a cutting pad with a light cutting agent polish and a polishing pad with a finishing polish. Don't worry about scratching it with buffer marks on the first step, the second step will take them right out. I like the Griots BOSS system and that's what I use a lot. But if the paint is really messed up I will use an all in 1 polish from Dura-Coating then the BOSS final polish. But if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, definitely take it a professional detailer.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Lots of good suggestions here. I’d start with a paint thickness gauge, as others mentioned if he used a machine with rubbing compound it’s likely he took out a bunch of the clear. If I recall, my paint thickness from factory was somewhere around 4.6-4.8mils. But each car is a little different so do a bunch of test spots. The good ones are pricey, I borrowed one from a friend.

If the paint thickness looks good, a good one step polish will remove a good amount of the light to medium scratches. A good detailer will start light and work their way up, depending on how “perfect” you want the finish. Some people are ok with heavier scratches looking better but not totally gone, others want them totally gone. That will require a two step and will take away more clear coat.

I would say to go talk to a couple good, reputable shops if you don’t want to do the correction yourself. The good ones will lay out a few different options for you after taking a walk around the car. Bring it to them clean so they can see everything. They will go around the car with a paint depth gauge too and will make recommendations based on what they find as well as what you’re looking to accomplish.
Sponsored