Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Everything ordered to do the same upgrade now Shawn and thanks for the tips. Also thanks to MMR and Beefcake for the supplies.

Glad it's all back on the road. Did you do the the Whipple software update? It is without a doubt much better after finishing that up and a short drive.
Yes I did get the update and thanks:thumbsup:
Sponsored

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
A little update here, with the new motor install. Since the instal there has been a ticking sound coming from the driver side underneath, and only when car starts and more when cold. The sound goes away after about 15 seconds or so. I suspected with fingered crossed it wasn't engine rated that it was an exhaust leak. Well today I jack up the car and then started it to check for the leak. While underneath I put my hand near the ball fflange drivers side and could feel exhaust pulses and could hear it. I was relieved to know it wasn't anything motor related and all I had to do was loosen the coupling to the h pipe and then pull it in more as the ball wasn't seated into the socket. All good now, thank god.
5635b6a0cc3cd5f388e28aea105b7f31_zps4aebrv9r.jpg

Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Resurrection!

Geez, I leave on deployment and all hell breaks loose. I'm being lazy, but Shawn, could you give some footnotes for what you did with the new motor?

it sucks that you had the unfortunate event happen, but I'm glad to hear that you pushed through with it. I had plenty of time to contemplate if it happened to me and I think I'm going to start a fund for doing an engine build while I take chances on the stocker. I hope your car is running well!

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT PP Competition Orange
Resurrection!

Geez, I leave on deployment and all hell breaks loose. I'm being lazy, but Shawn, could you give some footnotes for what you did with the new motor?

it sucks that you had the unfortunate event happen, but I'm glad to hear that you pushed through with it. I had plenty of time to contemplate if it happened to me and I think I'm going to start a fund for doing an engine build while I take chances on the stocker. I hope your car is running well!
Brandon and I have both done our OPG/TG Rob and it honestly is not that bad. I know I would be willing to give you hand if you want to do it. You might just want to knock it out for piece of mind even for while you build your motor. The only real expense is the gears because all the seals and everything are all re useable.

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Resurrection!

Welcome back my friend. In the end I decided against a built more costly motor even though the forces were pulling me there. I got a great deal on a 2017 Long Block crate motor from White Bear lake Ford for $5100 shipped. With ATI balancer and MMR OPG, timing gear, MMR secondary chain mod, high pressure Boss Primary tensioners and the MMR rear cooling mod Shen went back together and I swung her in myself. Ohh and I also did the SPEC 2 plus clutch with braided steel clutch line. The car started and ran without a hitch and I was able to get a couple hundred miles of break in accomplished as well. She is up for the winter undergoing more goodies like MGR shifter, carbon fiber steering wheel and more. I can't wait for spring to do some spirited driving and get back the lost time with the motor swap this summer.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Brandon and I have both done our OPG/TG Rob and it honestly is not that bad. I know I would be willing to give you hand if you want to do it. You might just want to knock it out for piece of mind even for while you build your motor. The only real expense is the gears because all the seals and everything are all re useable.
It's a snap and I'll help as well.

Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
That's good to hear! I might go the long block path as well, then. I haven't seen any other engine failures otherwise. Then have my stock block to build when I swap.

Does the SC have to come off to pull the front cover?

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
That's good to hear! I might go the long block path as well, then. I haven't seen any other engine failures otherwise. Then have my stock block to build when I swap.

Does the SC have to come off to pull the front cover?
The whipple can stay on for the OPG and TG swap. Do the timing/crank gear as well, there has been some failures with those as well though limited. For the motor I couldn't see spending the $$ building a stronger motor I wouldn't ever tap into. Since the stock motor is plenty strong for the 700 whp level I'll never go over.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
What special tools are needed to do this.. Things that may not be in the average tool chest? And as far as resetting cam timing once you reinstall the timing chain.. what is involved with doing that, or is it just a matter of lining up some markings?

-Jeff

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
No special tools besides a torque wrenches in inch lbs and ft. A small 3 jaw puller to remove the damper and an install threaded rod 6" 12mmx1.25.

Azmike

9's are easy!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Money well spent on the OPG and Crank! I saw this post and tore my car down immediately and changed everything! Sorry you had to experience this but you saved many others!
Sponsored