Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
The heads are suspect at least the passenger side head had some slight scouring on the bearing surface which is the head itself. So I wouldn't really be comfortable using these heads without some reconditioning work to them which drives up the rebuild cost.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Cleveland performance has a couple low mile coyote take outs
I just checked their site and didn't see any 2015-17 coyote motors their, only Chev and Mopar stuff. Do you have a link of what you saw?

Reds197

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BASE (sold)16 LPF 62mm 16 Whipple 15 VMP MT-82
Stock shortblock is 2500 exchange from ford. If you are never going above 700 it will last as long as you want in my opinion. Put the OPG and timing gear and move on. You have already done a timing set up so swapping heads is not that hard. That's what I would do. 15 shortblock is pretty strong!

Sheenapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I think something is missing here. You upgraded tg, are you 250% sure the timing was done correctly? Doesn't sound like it, did you do a crank re-learn? Should have done opgs ONLY for testing then tg. Now shits fucked and you're out $6700.

Sponsored

boosted4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I think something is missing here. You upgraded tg, are you 250% sure the timing was done correctly? Doesn't sound like it, did you do a crank re-learn? Should have done opgs ONLY for testing then tg. Now shits fucked and you're out $6700.
You have to remove the timing chains to get to the opg regardless. Why would he tear it back down to do the tg after?

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
Timing gear has to come off to change the OPG. It'd have to be timed either way.

Also, if not in time, it'd be spewing codes or smashing itself apart.

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
"Shits fucked" sounds about right man. Timing chain gear comes off when you do the OPG, so you have to retime the cams again. I did install the stock timing gear and an crank relearn is not needed for this. Yes I'm sure it was done correctly, followed the very simple Ford procedure. You tell me if this is correct.

LH (drivers side) chain went on according to the instruction. How does this look anyone remember if this looks right. The reason I ask is the instructions don't say what the timing mark looks like on the LH side but I imagine it's the L with the small mark on the cam like in the picture. Don't mind my white marks those were just becuase I was peroniod and wanted to mark the chain before taking it off and I had not seen the dark colors links at that time.
062cb1883972d5bffe0d12bedeeb3795_zpsrrzhs8rs.jpg

7ad2ccf1f10ba694b25c54b9009582fd_zpscjtfuupk.jpg

Bottom chain marks.

d336fae5035ffb6cefba1e4006de87c4_zpscplpnom2.jpg

RH setup after one full 360 degree turn clockwise from the 5 o'clock position, then turn again so keyway is at 12 o'clock.

257a41e516411443a865a3109e6c6b8e_zpsqtj7y5gw.jpg

Top dark link on the R1 timing Mark.
a2261d3e07399b612a6885e2873431d8_zpsuidgtjv4.jpg

Bottom dark link on the gear timing Mark.
32281ab374bd911f5937f66d52a8f244_zpsvkrrhmhk.jpg

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
You have to remove the timing chains to get to the opg regardless. Why would he tear it back down to do the tg after?
Timing gear has to come off to change the OPG. It'd have to be timed either way.

Also, if not in time, it'd be spewing codes or smashing itself apart.
It wouldn't run as well as it did(tick aside) and it'd puke a ton of codes (28 for me when I f'd up timing it).
Yup no codes at all. I was wishing at first it was a timing mistake but I'm 100% sure I got that right. It must be a Bearing heating up after running for 15-20 seconds and starts to make noise.

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Had a feeling you were going to need an engine. Its a crappy place to be. I know its hard to be postive right now but it could always be worse. You could have an engine block thats completly trashed with a window in it and be out more money. Try to remember its all about perspective. Again, best of luck!

Sheenapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Wasn't aware of the tg process or how indepth the opgs were to do. I was more just offering potential insight of what was missing from the thread. OP to answer your question, I personally have no idea if you did it correctly, I have no experience with it. In troubleshooting it's best to share everything that was done as others may have insight if something is missing or incorrect. My bad :)

daniel_94kg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 5.0
If you end up needing a new motor, I would look into having forged rods and pistons put into the stock block if it's able to be used. I went this route and it ended up costing me less than the cost of a stock crate engine, and it's much stronger now. Just a suggestion to consider. Good luck man.

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Had a feeling you were going to need an engine. Its a crappy place to be. I know its hard to be postive right now but it could always be worse. You could have an engine block thats completly trashed with a window in it and be out more money. Try to remember its all about perspective. Again, best of luck!
Yeah I was really only half believing it would work, but at least at this point I know how easy it is to do the OPG and timing gears and cam timing after. I'm still feeling a bit sacked, however now I know what I have to do, rebuild it swap a crate motor in.

Wasn't aware of the tg process or how indepth the opgs were to do. I was more just offering potential insight of what was missing from the thread. OP to answer your question, I personally have no idea if you did it correctly, I have no experience with it. In troubleshooting it's best to share everything that was done as others may have insight if something is missing or incorrect. My bad :)
Learning process for me as well, and some learn lessons the hard way:headbonk:

If you end up needing a new motor, I would look into having forged rods and pistons put into the stock block if it's able to be used. I went this route and it ended up costing me less than the cost of a stock crate engine, and it's much stronger now. Just a suggestion to consider. Good luck man.
I would like to talk with you more about your rebuild, I'll Pm you thanks.