Sponsored

On the fence about boost

Humphammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2015 Limited Edition 50th Year
Have mulled the thoughts of forced induction for some time now. 2015 LE 50 year anniversary #265 of 1964. The only mod I have is an H pipe. I like to be able to hear it when I'm on it but don't like loud or drone, so I'd probably keep the exhaust set-up I now have. I'm 66 so I am not going to take it to the track or be drag racing with it, but I do occasionally blow the soot out of it and generally like spirited driving. I've settled on the procharger with the helical gears, so I get as little of the whine as possible and if I go that route will have it professionally installed. I've owned fast cars in my life (67 camaro, 69 chevelle, BMW M3) but never owned anything with a boosted engine. My question (in anyone's opinion) is the driving experience considering my driving habits of a boosted engine worth the 6-7 grand spent on it. Thanks in advance for any input. Any pro's or con's of everyday driving would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Humphammer

Humphammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2015 Limited Edition 50th Year
Boost makes everything better!
That's great but I was looking for maybe some pro's and con's of everyday driving. How about MPG....better, worse, the same provided you employed the same driving habits? Is the power delivery smooth if you've got he wife with you and you don't want to shred the tires? Does the traction control still work if you keep it in sport mode? Anything anyone can add would be appreciated as I have said I've never driven a boosted car.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
That's great but I was looking for maybe some pro's and con's of everyday driving. How about MPG....better, worse, the same provided you employed the same driving habits? Is the power delivery smooth if you've got he wife with you and you don't want to shred the tires? Does the traction control still work if you keep it in sport mode? Anything anyone can add would be appreciated as I have said I've never driven a boosted car.
100% all in how you are on the fun pedal. It's not like the throttle is suddenly an on/off switch. yes traction control will still work, yes it will shred the tires if you mash it, gas mileage neglible difference again depending on driving habits.

Sponsored

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
I daily drive my Whippled gt 90 miles round trip to work. It is 100% worth it. Average 20-23mpg and unless it is raining it goes triple digits every trip. Every mash of the gas is an instant smile.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
with most base kits like say a roush phase1. you can drive around and not even realize it until you go WOT. Aftermarket tune can make it more aggressive. depends on what you want from it

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Definitely worth it! I Daily drive my car and if you don't want the power simply don't floor it, it drives like stock until boost comes in. however when boost comes in you best be hanging on. when I run 93 octane I usually average 18-20mpg and 24 on the highway. E85 is much worse lol but that's probably something you don't need. boost makes the driving experience a lot better. especially knowing you can smoke a hellcat or vette if you want

pwny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I've driven several boosted vehicles, including a ProCharged F-Body with a spool rear end. PC is going to be a great setup that you can (typically) drive just about anywhere and everywhere without reliability being a concern. The biggest difference will be when you put the pedal all the way down. Obviously, if you crank it to 11 then you're going to break things but you can keep it at a respectable yet dangerous level and never have to worry. It might make you itch for more though and once you scratch that itch, it's game over.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Without question it's worth it. This is my first FI car and I love every second I'm in it, and smile my *ss off every time I get on it.

Sponsored

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I have the helical cut gears and you can still hear a slight wine while idleing through a parking lot, but it is very quiet. Cruising on the highway you cannot hear it. Driving it around town and part throttle, it is no different than driving a stock mustang, since you are not closing the valve to generate boost. But if you only do spirited driving once in a while... You should be aware that even with high performance 315mm tires, as the revs come up past 4k under full throttle, acceleration happens at a rapid pace and you can easily get wheelspin very quickly. The traction control can help, but it will spin so fast that you will get massive wheel spin faster than it can cut power. It's no big deal, but something to be aware of. I don't drive with the traction control on. I would rather not have it intervene.

You mentioned "blowing the soot out". I wouldn't think of any of these power adders as just mash on it and sit back and hold on. I think of it more like riding a dirtbike or sportbike. Get up on the tank and ready to do battle. Be prepared for it to try and throw you.

I love the centri power, but sounds like you may appreciate a whipple style blower better, since it will feel more powerful in day to day part throttle driving.

Sean@LethalPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang 5.0
Like everyone else has said, these motors love boost.. From what you described, it sounds like the Procharger kit would be a great option, as you can drive around town and the car will behave as if its stock, until you get on it. As mentioned previously, I would also opt for the helical cut gears as that greatly cuts down on the noise from the supercharger.

MPG didn't take much of a drop until I switching to e85 on my Paxton car.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Like everyone else has said, these motors love boost.. From what you described, it sounds like the Procharger kit would be a great option, as you can drive around town and the car will behave as if its stock, until you get on it. As mentioned previously, I would also opt for the helical cut gears as that greatly cuts down on the noise from the supercharger.

MPG didn't take much of a drop until I switching to e85 on my Paxton car.
is there any other benefit to he helical gears? I might actually want it loud just for show lol

Sean@LethalPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang 5.0
is there any other benefit to he helical gears? I might actually want it loud just for show lol
The only benefit to the helical cut gears is noise reduction.

Procharger does now offer newer headunits, the p1x and d1x. These are more efferent head-unit now offered versus there p1sc and d1sc. They supposedly make 10whp more per lb of boost of the sc series.

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
Yep, Procharger with helical gears is my suggestion.

I had the straight cut gears and it was way too loud for me (paired with the big red race valve, too).

I recommend keeping the stock exhaust manifolds too since you don't like loud and you don't race.
Sponsored