Sponsored

Oil Temps tracking car in TX heat

zsommer79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beater
Took the car out to the track yesterday and with afternoon temps in high 90s the oil temps would jump to 270 degrees after a couple laps.

Curious what others who track in the heat have done to help with temps and what kinda "max" oil temp everyone tries to stay below.
Sponsored

UXXR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Haven't tracked the car but in LA heat, while spirited road driving, I'm seeing 225.

Venom52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500 CFTP, 23 Durango SRT 392
mine was at 265 mid session yesterday

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
I just did a 101F degree track day at Thunderhill a couple weeks ago and my oil temp got up to 285F. I took it a little easy at that point. It's never been higher than that but I stopped pushing as hard and short shifted a little bit to keep it manageable. I had no trouble keeping it at and below 280F. That's still really high but I just came home and changed my oil again to be safe. It had fresh oil before that track day with only 500 street miles but I figured the oil was probably trash after that hot of a heavy track day.

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
I googled your question.
Short answer is above 275F things start to happen as far a breakdown of the oil.
Also read that 300-350 is not uncommon in racing engines. That seems scary to me but then again Iā€™m no racer.
Maybe someone with extensive racing with their GT350 in the heat can chime in. Iā€™m thinking under 300 youā€™ll be fine with fresh oil to start and dump it afterwards.

Added
Your gauge shows to worry after 300 right?

OP
OP

zsommer79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beater
I just did a 101F degree track day at Thunderhill a couple weeks ago and my oil temp got up to 285F. I took it a little easy at that point. It's never been higher than that but I stopped pushing as hard and short shifted a little bit to keep it manageable. I had no trouble keeping it at and below 280F. That's still really high but I just came home and changed my oil again to be safe. It had fresh oil before that track day with only 500 street miles but I figured the oil was probably trash after that hot of a heavy track day.
Good to know you saw 285 without any issues, I really don't know what is ok with a voodoo so maybe next time out I won't pull back as early.

Want to hit up Thunderhill in the future, a buddy of mine was out there in a red RS5 same weekend as you, hopefully you passed him a couple times...lol

OP
OP

zsommer79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beater
How hot were your CHT's and ECT's?
Honestly only focused on the oil temps, once it started to spike my ocd only worried about it. If I should be focused on other metrics please feel free to school me.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
You'll overheat the car pushing hard in TX during the summer. I hit limp mode my first time at COTA. The car seems to have some fairly complex logic that bases limp mode on CHTs, oil temps, coolant, etc. No specific one seems to trigger it until wildly out of control.

That said, I wouldn't worry until you hit 290 oil and 240+ CHTs. That's not enough to panic, but it's when I'd back off.

If you routinely start hitting those numbers, you'll need additional cooling.

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
HB
Thank you for that. I live in a desert that is traditionally 100+ for many days in the summer.
The good news is Iā€™m not crazy about the heat and wonā€™t ride my motorcycle either during that time. Nothing good comes out of excessive heat in any engine.

Last edited:

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
I did my first track day on Monday in my R and oil temps were 270+. The car ran great, air temps started at 75 but late in the afternoon was 83 degrees.

OP
OP

zsommer79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beater
Di
You'll overheat the car pushing hard in TX during the summer. I hit limp mode my first time at COTA. The car seems to have some fairly complex logic that bases limp mode on CHTs, oil temps, coolant, etc. No specific one seems to trigger it until wildly out of control.

That said, I wouldn't worry until you hit 290 oil and 240+ CHTs. That's not enough to panic, but it's when I'd back off.

If you routinely start hitting those numbers, you'll need additional cooling.
Thanks for chiming in, that makes me way more comfortable pushing harder next time out. I want to run COTA in the fall, what groups do you instruct for and are you available to by request?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I see those kind of temps after a track weekend. The oil analysis always comes back ok with no shearing.

Its always good to change the oil after the track.
Sponsored