Sponsored

Oil pressure

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
I'm concerned about the shockingly low oil pressure on the Bullitt. When warm at idle, it's 15 psi. When motoring about sanely it's about 40 psi, but when I boot it it rises to ~85 psi.

Ford must have some electronics that relieve oil pressure via some bypass, perhaps for fuel economy?? It takes energy to run 80 psi all day long, and maybe they can get .01 mpg more ??

I'm hoping mine isn't the only one, and others are the same per Ford's engineering.
Sponsored

frankeric16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
Mine too. Q, can't fine in the Owners M what Type/# oil filter is used. I saw a picture somewhere here and it looked real small. Tx

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Last edited:

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜05 GMC P/U, ā€˜17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
I'm concerned about the shockingly low oil pressure on the Bullitt. When warm at idle, it's 15 psi. When motoring about sanely it's about 40 psi, but when I boot it it rises to ~85 psi.

Ford must have some electronics that relieve oil pressure via some bypass, perhaps for fuel economy?? It takes energy to run 80 psi all day long, and maybe they can get .01 mpg more ??

I'm hoping mine isn't the only one, and others are the same per Ford's engineering.
It interesting you ask that question. I went to my dealership and questioned the psi yesterday with just 100 miles on the car because I thought it might be too low. I would have called them but I wanted to buy a quart of Ford 5-20 blend oil to have on hand in case I burn some oil during break-in. I also asked if 5-30 would be more appropriate for my car since itā€™s only driven during warm weather months and in storage during cold weather months. At idle my psi is similar to yours, but at 60 mph in 6th gear (1700 rpm) my psi is just a little under 30 psi which I thought was low. Of course it is higher at higher rpm. I donā€™t have a good comparison because I donā€™t remember the Vette numbers and the old GTO is not a good comparison. The service manager looked it up in his computer and said my idle psi was right on target and my highway should be around 30 to 32. He assured me that my cruising psi is adequate. He said there will be variances between comparable models simply because the dials receiving signals from the sending unit are not that exact. That may be true because the digital temp reading which made sense in my Vette didnā€™t align with the needle gauge. The answer to the oil question was not to bother with 5-30 unless I was going to be driving the car real hard. He said the 5-20 is appropriate for the engine tolerances of my Bullitt. He also said that using full synthetic is a waste of money from his perspective, but that I am free to use full synthetic if I wish. Given the 10 qt capacity of the Coyote engine, heā€™s right about the high cost of a full synthetic oil change. Iā€™m not naive and I know that opinions are just that - opinions. Iā€™m not a mechanical engineer nor am I that knowledgeable about the internal combustion engine, so I plan to follow their advice unless something concrete from Ford says otherwise... Bruce

Sponsored

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
It interesting you ask that question. I went to my dealership and questioned the psi yesterday with just 100 miles on the car because I thought it might be too low. I would have called them but I wanted to buy a quart of Ford 5-20 blend oil to have on hand in case I burn some oil during break-in. I also asked if 5-30 would be more appropriate for my car since itā€™s only driven during warm weather months and in storage during cold weather months. At idle my psi is similar to yours, but at 60 mph in 6th gear (1700 rpm) my psi is just a little under 30 psi which I thought was low. Of course it is higher at higher rpm. I donā€™t have a good comparison because I donā€™t remember the Vette numbers and the old GTO is not a good comparison. The service manager looked it up in his computer and said my idle psi was right on target and my highway should be around 30 to 32. He assured me that my cruising psi is adequate. He said there will be variances between comparable models simply because the dials receiving signals from the sending unit are not that exact. That may be true because the digital temp reading which made sense in my Vette didnā€™t align with the needle gauge. The answer to the oil question was not to bother with 5-30 unless I was going to be driving the car real hard. He said the 5-20 is appropriate for the engine tolerances of my Bullitt. He also said that using full synthetic is a waste of money from his perspective, but that I am free to use full synthetic if I wish. Given the 10 qt capacity of the Coyote engine, heā€™s right about the high cost of a full synthetic oil change. Iā€™m not naive and I know that opinions are just that - opinions. Iā€™m not a mechanical engineer nor am I that knowledgeable about the internal combustion engine, so I plan to follow their advice unless something concrete from Ford says otherwise... Bruce
When I did my oil change a few weeks ago (used Castrol Edge full synthetic 5W20), I also asked my service advisor about 5W30, and he suggested waiting until after 3-4 oil changes. That seems to fit with something else I read that said it takes 3-4 oil changes for the engine to fully seat...

Tim Kiely

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2008 HG Bullitt #4007, 2019 DHG Bullitt #0373
Just curious what mileage intervals people are waiting for to do their first change? Has anyone actually waited for manufacturers recommended mileage?

OP
OP
aileron

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
Just curious what mileage intervals people are waiting for to do their first change? Has anyone actually waited for manufacturers recommended mileage?
I did mine at 1,045 miles

frankeric16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
Will do mine at 1,500.
Went to the Good Guys Car show today & Ford Performance had a big booth/display of motors. They had a new Coyote & I asked about the tiny oil filter. They told me that's what the factory uses but when you take in for the first change they'll put in the FP large filter. I'll make sure that happens! The guy asked me about my first oil change & I told him it was coming up at 1,500. Off the record he said that I shouldn't go much past that. After that comment I'm also going to ask for my used filter back when they change it out!

Sponsored

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
1,737 miles after 9 months. Wanted fresh oil for the season.

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
1,300 and reloaded with 5W-20 blend but a larger Ford Performance 820 filter. Expect to switch to fully synthetic when it takes a winter nap.

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
On oil pressure, 10 lbs per 1,000 rpm used to be the golden rule.

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜05 GMC P/U, ā€˜17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Iā€™m a little reluctant to post this because Iā€™m so far off from most people. At this point I donā€™t know many miles I will be putting on the Bullitt annually (on the road from April thru October depending on road salt) but I am anticipating about 5,000. So I will be changing at at the end of the driving season (+ - 5G miles including this year)and will use my dealer(fair price); 5-20 synthetic blend unless Ford recommends otherwise in the future. Iā€™ve done that 5G oil/filter/lube for most of my driving career with family and performance cars and the intervals are very easy to remember (5G, 10G, 15G, etc.) and on family cars Iā€™ve averaged about 12 to 15G per year. Iā€™ve gone well over 100G miles most times and have yet to have any engine problems nor have I ever had an oil burner in spite of changing oil brands often. Thereā€™s no way I consider myself smarter than the mfrā€™s and I choose not to risk voiding my warranty. Please donā€™t attack me to aggressively... Bruce

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
My rule has been to change the oil based on what I was doing with the car. I don't know for sure if this makes sense, but if I spent the day at the dragstrip doing multiple 1/4 mile full throttle runs, I usually changed the oil a few days later. If normal driving, then longer. I am totally not concerned with the oil pressure at idle. 10 quarts is an awesome amount to cycle throught the engine. Having high oil pressure at idle is just stressful on the components. It's the volume that matters. More volume, more cooling. Especially with our factory oil cooler. Similar to what was installed in the 2012 Boss 302s.
In the old days a "huge" 6 or 7 quart fabricated oil pan on the 427 or 428 without an oil cooler was considered over and above. And that was with 11 or 12:1 compression and lopey cams.
Sponsored