Oil pressure

TomLake

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Bullitt, 2017 Shelby GT350
A S2B arrived at my local airport yesterday; it was being delivered from OK to the new owner. Old owner made a high-speed 50' pass down the the runway, hit the smoke, 2 quick rolls at 50', and pulled up with 2 vertical rolls before his last landing in the Pitts. I'm at a podunk airport, but this kind FAA hijinks got the locals freaked. 8S1; obviously an uncontrolled field. FBO operator drove my Bullitt as fast as he could down our Runway :-)

I learned acro in a Citabria> Super Decathlon> S2B at Santa Paula CA
Ha! Sounds like a cool airport! We are a little busier here but I am not saying I haven't had the BULLITT make a "Low Pass" down the runway!!
Sponsored

TomLake

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Ha! Sounds like a cool airport! We are a little busier here but I am not saying I haven't had the BULLITT make a "Low Pass" down the runway!!

And a TailWheel guy!!

Still have an old Decatlon and I Love the "B". Have you seen the Raptor? #31 on the list! Hope it goes!

OP
OP
aileron

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
How hard is it to swap out?
I guess I'll find out :giggle: Man designed and built it; I should be able to take it apart without f'n it up and swap the gage clusters. It seems our Fords are put together fairly simply. Hopefully it own't require a trip to dealer for coding to recognize the new gages. If this was my BMW, it would 100% require a coding session.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Just buy the center gauge cluster from a GT350. Less than $250, pops right in, plug and play on the connectors, has oil pressure and oil temperature. Only thing it doesn't have is that MyColor isn't supported. It stays white-on-black all the time.
As far as I can tell, my center gauges stay white-on-black all the time in my Bullitt. Dunno if this is typical of 'later' cars--mine is Bullitt# 2937--or maybe I'm missing something?

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
As far as I can tell, my center gauges stay white-on-black all the time in my Bullitt. Dunno if this is typical of 'later' cars--mine is Bullitt# 2937--or maybe I'm missing something?
Have you set a custom gauge color using MyColor? And, granted, they only change at night even with MyColor active.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
How hard is it to swap out?
I guess I'll find out :giggle: Man designed and built it; I should be able to take it apart without f'n it up and swap the gage clusters. It seems our Fords are put together fairly simply. Hopefully it own't require a trip to dealer for coding to recognize the new gages. If this was my BMW, it would 100% require a coding session.
It's fairly easy. You need to carefully remove the trim, starting at the passenger's side and working across. It's all pop-clips, but some of them can be kind of snug the first time they get pulled. Use a trim tool and take your time.

The two gauges are on a single circuit board held on to the dash with a couple of screws. The harness is plug-in and it works, no coding needed (unlike the BMW, where even something as simple as a battery change requires hooking up to a computer to "register" it).

Some people also swap the chrome trim rings around the gauge faces with their original ones as well, as they think it's a better match for the overall panel. Strikes me as going a bit far, but YMMV.

Last edited:

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Have you set a custom gauge color using MyColor? And, granted, they only change at night even with MyColor active.
OK, figured it out. The colors--in this case 'Primary Color'--only change with the lights on (in a dark garage). The gauges DO change color. Thanks.

TomLake

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
i am going to order it too! Take pictures of the procedure!!

Sponsored
OP
OP
aileron

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
I have my GT 350 OP/OT gage waiting for me to install it - apparently I don't need 4 spare hours! Do I remove the small trim piece to the right of the glovebox first, and then gently pry the main trim piece off? I might wait to sober up [a little]; it's been a beer sampling afternoon...

Thanks Tom; no excuse for me to not install the damn thing now :crackup: I can't believe Ford had the right cluster in their parts bin, but instead chose to give us the 110% worthless vacuum gage instead. Probably the best $250 I've spent on the Bullitt.

Also, special thanks for the pics; always nice to know what I'm about the break.

OP
OP
aileron

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
Can the oil temp gauge be enabled in the dash with the computer?
Good question, it sure wasn't possible previously... but maybe the OP/OT cluster has some firmware the that allows the dash display to telegraph OT.

TomLake

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
yeah - open the glove box and work that small piece off. I then worked from right to left along the bottom and it pooped right off. The lock on the clip for the wires is on the bottom. Plug and Play! Let me know if have any questions! Already cracked a cold on! A Toast to the BULLITT owners and guys like you and me Aileron who suffer from the diseases of fast air and ground machines!!!