Oil line recall and oil change

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Its time for another oil change. I just did a 3 day track event and figured I'd change all the fluids.

To the point, they are going to loose a bunch of oil when they do this recall repair.

Now, I ask you to speculate..... Will the dealer do a complete oil change and replace the filter or will they just drop the filter and housing, replace the lines, reassemble, and then just top it up?

Why change the oil now if it will all be changed out very soon when the car is repaired under the recall?

Your inputs please.
Sponsored

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
My intention is to insist on an oil change if that is not obvious to the dealer. Maybe I'm expecting too much?

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
I'd be surprised if they don't drain all the oil to do the recall.

Regardless, the recall isn't going to be happening starting Jan 1. You'll most likely be near all the way through this next change interval before you can get it done. Change them now. I'm doing mine next weekend because I'll be right at 5k miles.

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 GT86 Autox, 16 GT350 TP, 06 Civic Si TTD car
I seriously doubt they will do a complete oil change. Just add a quart or so and call it a day. It is costing ford enough without adding another $150.00 or so for a full oil change with filter.

Peter

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I'm contemplating just paying for the part and doing it myself. Yes, it won't be properly documented at Ford. I don't need my splitter/bellypan screwed up a second time.

Sponsored

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I'm contemplating just paying for the part and doing it myself. Yes, it won't be properly documented at Ford. I don't need my splitter/bellypan screwed up a second time.
That's what I'm doing.

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
I'll probably remove the splitter at home before taking the car in for service, then reinstall splitter when I get the car back home.

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
I was thinking I would first remove the splitter and belly pan then take it to the dealer and let them change the lines. Then inspect everything they did and then reinstall the pan and splitter.

I think doing the line yourself could leave Ford a way out if you ever had a engine issue. Not sure its worth the risk, now if I had a tune or other items that have already voided my warranty then I would not let them touch it and would do it myself.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I was thinking I would first remove the splitter and belly pan then take it to the dealer and let them change the lines. Then inspect everything they did and then reinstall the pan and splitter.

I think doing the line yourself could leave Ford a way out if you ever had a engine issue. Not sure its worth the risk, now if I had a tune or other items that have already voided my warranty then I would not let them touch it and would do it myself.
That is the way I'm going to handle it.

I will change the oil now. I'll remove the splitter and belly when it is to go in for service so that I can inspect the work. Reassemble it myself.

gww52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
GT500
I got my new oil lines a few weeks ago.
They were produced on 9/6/16 and I'll install them at the next oil change.
I don't expect you will lose much more than a quart of oil.

Sponsored

jamesb1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I plan on asking them to incorporate an oil change with the recall fix. I spoke to my dealer and they seemed open to working something out where I at least pay for the filter. If the dealer is due to handle the recall in Jan or Feb I should be at about 1800 miles or so and that would be perfect for my first change, plus only taking the car in one time would help.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I changed my oil yesterday and expected to see none of the sealant that I did last time. There was still a small amount at the bottom of the pan. I noticed some brass particles and am not overly concerned because it is still a very new engine. 2K miles. An oil sample was sent off to blackstone labs for analysis.
Sponsored