Sponsored

Oil Issue or Something Else

PearlWhiteGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Foxbody Mustang
My buddy recently purchased a 2013 Mustang GT. Has full bolt on’s and tuned on E85. He knows nothing about cars. Today he took it to a local quick lube to have the oil and filter changed. He asked for Mobil One synthetic but all they had was Royal Purple. They told him it was better oil so he said go ahead and change it. After about 20 mins of driving the car it started acting up. There is a ticking sound coming from the engine and it bog’s down when driving.

He called a mechanic that he knows to ask about it and he told him it’s the oil. Said Royal Purple is not meant to be used when the car has been running on other oils. Said it needs a engine flush and replace the oil with regular synthetic. I’ve never heard of oil causing issues like this. Have any of you heard or have had issues like this? Car was running great before the oil change.
Sponsored

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
First thing is to pull the dipstick and see if it was filled correctly and does the oil look clean. Underfilled = bad , overfilled = bad. Sounds like the quick lube messed up something. Get to proper level first. Can be a defective filter as well. Sometimes it is best to buy the oil and filter that are quality and take to a mechanic you trust for change if you don't have the resources. I have a good dealer I trust do it so no warranty debates.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
My buddy recently purchased a 2013 Mustang GT. Has full bolt on’s and tuned on E85. He knows nothing about cars. Today he took it to a local quick lube to have the oil and filter changed. He asked for Mobil One synthetic but all they had was Royal Purple. They told him it was better oil so he said go ahead and change it. After about 20 mins of driving the car it started acting up. There is a ticking sound coming from the engine and it bog’s down when driving.

He called a mechanic that he knows to ask about it and he told him it’s the oil. Said Royal Purple is not meant to be used when the car has been running on other oils. Said it needs a engine flush and replace the oil with regular synthetic. I’ve never heard of oil causing issues like this. Have any of you heard or have had issues like this? Car was running great before the oil change.

Boy O boy he's in for a ride, hope he's got a good stash of cash.

The boy is just asking to be robbed, that he's getting quickly. A lam, the wolfs will feed off of....

A sad story really .....

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
That's the dumbest thing I heard in a long long time. I would stay far far far away from that mechanic, who is spewing BS to drain your friend's wallet.

Something else is going on with the engine. Unless it was under or over filled (which is easy to check) none of the symptoms you mentioned are related to the engine oil or the recent oil change.

Sponsored

OP
OP

PearlWhiteGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Foxbody Mustang
I went over to his house to take a quick look. Didn’t see anything loose. Are the front O2 sensors still needed if he’s running long tubes and tuned on E85? He hooked up a scanner and it gave him the code P0155 for Bank 2 Sensor 1 which I believe is the front drivers side sensor.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
So...the oil level is OK?

Who buys a car like that when they know nothing about cars? E85? There is more too it than just filling up at the pump with E85.

Hope your 'buddy' stays away from large crowds.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
He asked for Mobil One synthetic but all they had was Royal Purple. They told him it was better oil so he said go ahead and change it. After about 20 mins of driving the car it started acting up.
All they had was RP ? Which quick lube place is this ? So the sensor went bad on the same side as the oil filter.. helluva coincidence don't you think ?

OP
OP

PearlWhiteGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Foxbody Mustang
Got some more clarification, the bank 2 sensor 1 is not connected due to the tuning of the car. The CEL is always on for that sensor. He got in touch with the previous owner about it.

Sponsored
OP
OP

PearlWhiteGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Foxbody Mustang
Sorry fellas, he contacted his buddy that is friends with the previous owner. He also owns a 13 GT. He said that the rear sensor on the passenger side was replaced almost two years ago for the same reason and to replace it and see what happens. I went over and replaced it real quick for him and car is running good again. Weird….

While under the car I found out the car has resonator deletes with flowmaster outlaw axle back. Basically a straight piped car. He’s stupid loud and he wants to quiet it down some. Would it be best to just install some resonators back in with the outlaw mufflers or replace the mufflers with something else?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Thought he said it was a p0155 ?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
That code is always on due to that O2 sensor not being used.
But that's the wideband. You replaced the cat efficiency rear o2. How can it be running good without the wideband on bank 2 ?