Sponsored

Oil cooler failure - first hand experiences?

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
That's exactly the response I would expect, but Frostee seems to be ahead of the pack at this stage
Sponsored

Copie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Mine is getting done next service, dec 16 build.

Dealer already has the parts on order, I didn’t even have to ring them they notified me that they would need the car for the whole day

MUS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

Dealer already has the parts on order, I didn’t even have to ring them they notified me that they would need the car for the whole day
It’s amazing how very different each ford dealership is in the way they operate , doesn’t seem to be any consistency among them

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback

Interesting to hear.

Can you tell us what happened? You had the car booked for service and they initiated the replacement of the cooler without your input?

Copie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
No hadn’t even booked it in yet, they just rang me and said that you are due for a service in March, we will have the updated oil cooler ready for installation by then.

They also mentioned the AC evaporator failures but they aren’t going to touch it until it fails but they keep stock on hand for it now.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Copie sounds like you have a good dealer, could you please PM me their name?

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I've googled the part no. but can't find an image.

Seems like a fairly cheap item cost wise - surely it would be better for Ford to replace the original oil coolers on pre July 16 builds than to replace whole engines?

I'll be taking this up with my dealer when the 2-yearly service comes up next month.

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oem-parts/ford-oil-cooler-asy-gr3z6a642d
looking at the cost it would make sense to make it a service item and swap it out every time you change the oil filter!

Frostee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT
Frostee
Please get the part number of your replacement oil cooler when it gets installed. Particularly the letter at the end of the part number. In the TSB the replacement part number ends in D (ie; GR3Z-6A642-D). In August 2016 (prior to the TSB) the available part number ended in C. I read this in the UK forum.

Will do.

The part is in so expecting to get it done in the next few weeks

edit: scheduled for 19th of Feb

Last edited:

S550GTRed5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
So...i went in for my 45k service at the dealership the other week and they told me my oil cooler doesn't need replacing, sounds a bit strange considering its a 16th December 2015 Build???

Anyone know if this is batch and VIN specific?

Sponsored

S550GTRed5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
That’s exactly what I thought, time to find another dealership. I think I’ve visited every single ford dealership in Perth now, I’m beginning to wonder if there are any half decent dealerships who can advise on the most appropriate course of action... so i guess have 3 options - either Leave it, Request for them to change it or replace/fit the Streetfighter kit?

Last edited:

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
I spoke to spare parts and he was convinced the oil cooler failures were confined to the UK market and our coolers were specific to Aus.

Furthermore, if I was to change my cooler to a newer one with a part number that didn't match my VIN, Ford might not honour a warrantee claim related to my engine.

Whilst he seemed to genuinely believe this and wasn't just trying to fob me off, I seriously don't think Ford would make detailed changes to the RHD vehicles.

I can imagine you would not want to change the oil cooler unless you absolutely knew it was a revised design in case you just swapped out a perfectly good one for a potentially defective one!

Last edited:

S550GTRed5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I spoke to spare parts and he was convinced the oil cooler failures were confined to the UK make and our coolers were specific to Aus.

Furthermore, if I was to change my cooler to a newer one with a part number that didn't match my VIN, Ford might not honour a warrantee claim related to my engine.

Whilst he seemed to genuinely believe this and wasn't just trying to fob me off, I seriously don't think Ford would make detailed changes to the RHD vehicles.

I can imagine you would not want to change the oil cooler unless you absolutely knew it was a revised design in case you just swapped out a perfectly good one for a potentially defective one!
Thanks Micheal, some useful information there.

I would tend to agree, I wouldn't have thought they'd go to the hassle of making region specific changes between Aus/UK but you never know with these characters...

My question is though what happens if the part ends up failing outside of the warranty period, being a known fault would they honor the engine replacement if its found the oil cooler was the issue?

Last edited:

stang_86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport, 2016 Mustang GT 2019 Bullitt
One would think being a known fault it should be covered under warranty.

But guys spend some money if your paranoid and get the defective part removed.
Sponsored