Sponsored

Oil Consumption Test

bisonboy02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I got a question on a oil consumption testing.
I purchased a used 2016 GT350 last fall with 14,700 miles (23,658kms) and as of today I have 15,823 miles (25465kms). I have not tracked the car and I believe the previous owner used it as a daily driver.
When I purchased the car I had a oil change done at a dealership and had to add 2 quarts in 1123 miles (1807kms) since I purchased it. The first time I added 1 quart in 664 miles (1068kms), and today I added another quart quart in 459 miles (739kms).
I'm going on a road trip this summer and should accumulate approx. 4500-5000 miles (7200-8000kms)
Can a oil consumption test be started at my local dealer and be checked along the way during my road trip at a different dealership? I figured this would be a good opportunity to do the test as I will accumulating mileage.
I checked with my dealer and they say its got to be checked at the dealer that the test was started with, as there is no way to document it. Is this correct? Is there a number for Ford that I can call to ask?
Is this normal for oil consumption or should I just drive and forget about it.
Also will a oil consumption report come up on a cars history from a dealer?
Thanks for any info and help
Sponsored

Last edited:

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Are you checking the oil level the same way each time, for example, after the engine is off and been sitting for 20+min? If you're checking the oil for example with engine cold one time and hot another, the readings can vary significantly, appearing to show a greater change than there really is. I'm not denying oil consumption - just making sure the simplest variable is eliminated first.

OP
OP

bisonboy02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Are you checking the oil level the same way each time, for example, after the engine is off and been sitting for 20+min? If you're checking the oil for example with engine cold one time and hot another, the readings can vary significantly, appearing to show a greater change than there really is. I'm not denying oil consumption - just making sure the simplest variable is eliminated first.
I have been checking it about 15-20 mins after shutting the engine off hot.
I check it after every couple rides and see it going down on the dipstick, but only add oil when it goes below the bottom dot.
And I don’t see any oil leaks or spots on the ground after being parked.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Seems likely that some one got rid of their car over concerns of excess oil use and you bought it. Don't think those consumption amounts are in the normal range so you are on the right track to get it investigated. Can't answer about the road trip.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I was told by my dealer that if i went to another dealer I’d have to start the process all over. (Who knows if this is true, could just be them not wanting to do paperwork)

I only asked because I’m afraid to let them do the work, and wanted to go to one a little farther away that’s known to be a roush place and have at least seen a high performance car.

You’re right at the cusp of getting a new longblock. But i bet you’re just gonna have to carry a shitload of oil and do the test when you return.
Sponsored